Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-06-2019, 08:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
Hilton Head Island , South Carolina
First Nights and First Tow

Here’s a little information on picking up our Airstream, and our impressions after a few nights and our first tow.

We took delivery of our 2020 International 30 RBQ last Wednesday at North Trail RV in Fort Myers, FL. Bart, the delivery coordinator, spent all the time we needed to understand the systems. The trailer was immaculate. I had a some questions about the awning operation and they sent a tech out right away to check it and make sure I understood everything. I could not be happier with North Trail RV and our sales person Bruce Miller.

We towed it an impressive 1.5 miles the first day and set it up at Cypress Trail RV Park. The only issue setting up was releasing the hitch. My trailer towing experience is 25 yrs in the past and was farm wagons, pintle hitches and 5th wheels. A quick call to Bruce, “make sure all the weight is off the jack stand” and the hitch released. So the only issue was operator error.

The Airstream works perfect. It is hot in Florida and the A/Cs are cranking away. We’ve used every system and light and everything works like it should. I’m impressed with the initial delivery quality and fit/finish. Not much to say when everything works.

First real tow was about 260 miles from Fort Myers to Cedar Key, FL. Combination of I75 and 2 lane roads. We bought a 2019 Ram 3500 with HO Cummins. Truck has air suspension and is equipped with Equalizer hitch and 1400 WD bars. Truck has a payload of 3,500 pounds, tongue weight limit of 1,994 and towing capacity of around 20,000. I haven’t weighed anything yet, but I doubt I’m close to any weight issues. The back up camera made connecting a breeze. Hitching was a simple 10 minute process.

The truck is fun to drive and tows the trailer with little effort. Averaged 12.6 mpg driving 67 mph. A couple of times running up 70 to 72 mph during passing and traffic situations in almost no time and with little throttle input. Exhaust brake and tow/haul mode are going to take some time to get used to but it definitely slows everything down with minimal use of service brakes.

I’ve poured over this site for several months and learned so much from everyone. Thank you for helping to make our first few nights fun and memorable!

We are headed to Port St. Joe tomorrow. Can’t wait to see what’s around the next corner.
TerryHHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:42 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Congratulations on your new baby. It sounds like your maiden voyage is going well.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:17 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
Thanks Brian. Couldn’t be happier with the trip so far.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryHHI View Post
Here’s a little information on picking up our Airstream, and our impressions after a few nights and our first tow.

The truck is fun to drive and tows the trailer with little effort. Averaged 12.6 mpg driving 67 mph. A couple of times running up 70 to 72 mph during passing and traffic situations in almost no time and with little throttle input. Exhaust brake and tow/haul mode are going to take some time to get used to but it definitely slows everything down with minimal use of service brakes.
Sounds like you did your research correctly and have the best vehicle to tow with. My only advice is the speeds you are traveling. Remember, your on vacation! You don't have to be in a hurry especially since you have little experience towing your new beauty. Are you sure your trailer brake settings are correct? How about weight distribution. Is it dialed in yet? Hitch chain length? Did you shut all the vents? Do you know how the tire pressure and heat affects the pressure?

I'm not really trying to rain on your parade, but 70-72 miles an hour after just picking up the trailer seems a little quick. I've been towing for 20,000 miles and I seldom go over 65. Just a comment not a big criticism.

I meet a guy at Jackson Center this past trip who told me he drove 75 MPH all the time. I thought that was a bit odd for a truck that had no weight distribution or sway control. To each his own. I recommended he check with JC on what they could do about a new hitch.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Thanks for sharing your GOOD experience.
Have fun!
Old 10-14-2019, 04:24 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
Hi turk123, you raise good points. Thank you for causing me to reconsider some critical factors. If any of my tactics don’t make sense please let me know.

Driving anything new and also towing something new does take time to learn how the vehicle or combination responds to different situations. My speed strategy is to pace with trucks in right lane. In my experience, this is typically between 65 and 67 mph. Doesn’t cause a bottleneck behind me and easy to maintain safe following distance. I also believe there are times when a little extra speed helps create space and isn’t unreasonable for short periods.

Brakes are set with 20 mph drag test. I’m running gain of 9. I like to feel the trailer pull when braking.

Tire pressure - trailer cold pressure set at 65 psi. Since I haven’t weighed I assumed max trailer GVW and used tireman9 and Capri Racer recommended formulas. Truck running 65 psi. I check pressure before starting each day. I don’t give much thought to what heat does to TP during the day other then to make sure tires go up relatively the same amount. I assume ambient temperature is within limits of tire design and therefore TP is ok.

I’m running an Equalizer hitch with 1400 pound bars. My previous weight distribution hitch experience was years ago with a Reese hitch and chains and I understand the concept of weight distribution. I read about people with Equalizer hitches changing to 1000 pound bars. I assume this reduces amount of weight distribution but haven’t given it much thought yet.

I usually forget to the stove vent until we take a break and I do my walk around. I also usually forget to unlock it. Though I’m not really sure it really needs locked.

Your timing was perfect. We are headed from Destin, FL to Brunswick, GA today. Good to think through everything again.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:38 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
Hi A W, we have been out about 10 days now and can’t say enough great things about our Airstream.

It has more space then we expected. Used convection oven last night for first time. We weren’t sure we would like it. Previous experiences in motorhome were loud and hot. The oven worked great after we figured out the correct button pushing sequence.

Two small problems. Water line into toilet had a small drip leak. I loosened and retightened threaded line and solved the problem.

The rear outside trunk, inside trim over the two pieces of aluminum pops off when I pull items out of the trunk. Looks like black trim is just pressed on. A little glue should fix the problem.

Terry
Old 10-19-2019, 10:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Hi Terry

It sounds like you are doing fine. Just give it some time and you will start to feel a sweet spot in the speed and weight distribution settings. Don't be afraid to adjust the weight distribution to see how low pressures feel compared to higher tension. That is how you learn. Don't try to keep up with the trucks. Following their speed only results in rock thrown against the windshield.

I used to travel 55-60 mph but found out after much adjustment to the hitch and tire pressure that my trailer really like 65 MPH as a sweet spot. I do not hit the speed with heavy traffic just to be safe. I'm carrying my favorite dog Maddie and my favorite wife Dotty!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maddie-.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	354553  

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:15 AM   #9
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Very good. That initial positive experience paves (pun!) the way for future travels. One learning point I will pass along. After a few thousand miles, my equalizer hitch did not seem to limit sway as much - my butt in the seat seemed loose.
Looked up the Equalizer tech manual - those bolts and nuts securing the torsion arms have torque specs - mine were loose.
Something to check when you have the torque wrench out checking your lug nuts.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:53 AM   #10
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
When you get time you might want to look into getting a TPMS for your AS. TST is one that a lot of people use including myself. Just gives a headup warning about temp changes or rapid lose of pressure.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:25 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
When you get time you might want to look into getting a TPMS for your AS. TST is one that a lot of people use including myself. Just gives a headup warning about temp changes or rapid lose of pressure.
Thank you for reminder. I’ll call the Ram truck dealer this morning to see if the trailer TPMS stem caps are available. If not, I’ll get a different system ordered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acheron2010 View Post
Looked up the Equalizer tech manual - those bolts and nuts securing the torsion arms have torque specs - mine were loose.
Something to check when you have the torque wrench out checking your lug nuts.
Good idea. We are heading out to Greenville, SC Thursday. I’ll check hitch when I check wheels before the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post

I used to travel 55-60 mph but found out after much adjustment to the hitch and tire pressure that my trailer really like 65 MPH as a sweet spot. I do not hit the speed with heavy traffic just to be safe. I'm carrying my favorite dog Maddie and my favorite wife Dotty!
We have about 1,000 miles towing the Airstream. Towing is starting to get more comfortable. I’m getting familiar with the noises, bumps and weight. My guess is 65 mph will be our sweet spot too. I have all the time in the world to safely deliver my favorite dog Violet and my favorite wife Tracy! No need to push anything.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:02 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Everywhere , Minnesota
Sounds like you are enjoying the new member of the family.

We are planning for a similar addition next summer and are very excited about the new opportunities it will present.
Enjoy and safe travels to you.
Renascence is offline   Reply With Quote