Old 05-19-2015, 01:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Oh, I forgot to say, I plan to leave end of June- 1st of July. I have a 2015 BAMBI 16' Sport, tow with 2015 Nissan Pathfinder with full factory installed tow package.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:03 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Bryant , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoublTrouble View Post
We stayed in private park near Custer State Park many years ago. Custer was a great 1/2 day trip.....intro to Bison. We used that campground as a base to explore the black hills area for several days. We did make the trip to Devil's Tower from there and it took the better part of the day. It was impressive to see .
Rushmore at night was remarkable. We did not see Crazy Horse.
We will make sure to check out Rushmore when we get there. We plan on that being a pretty quick stop. Check it out when we get there, drive by it in the morning when we leave. We literally just want to "see" it.

StreamAholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:05 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Bryant , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
Oh, I forgot to say, I plan to leave end of June- 1st of July. I have a 2015 BAMBI 16' Sport, tow with 2015 Nissan Pathfinder with full factory installed tow package.
Maybe we will pass you in Grand Teton. I'll be on the lookout. (-:
Old 05-19-2015, 02:06 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Be sure to visit Mount Rushmore at night for the Illumination Program. The burros at Custer will bite so be careful. Yellowstone is awesome!!! so many large animal encounters, but don't miss the Tetons while in the area. If you take the route to Arches and Mesa Verde be sure to see Monument Valley. Head south from Arches to Monument Valley then east to Mesa Verde. Be aware that if head east from Mesa Verde to Alamosa via US160 to get to I-70 in eastern CO you will cross Wolf Creek Pass at an elevation of almost 11,000ft and some grades over 6% on both sides of the pass. This highway has been improved in the last several years.
So many places to see and so little time...enjoy

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:15 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Tim, if you spot me... You and the missus, stop for a visit and if we aren't still driving ...a glass of wine. I'll be the Lil' ol' white haired lady with the blond Pomeranian. As we're all kindred spirits...I welcome meeting any and all AIRSTREAMERS along the way. (I hail from the south originally....bred with 'hospitality gene'.) HAPPY TRAILS, YA'LL! Hope to meet and make new friends in my journey! Evelyn.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:17 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Crab pot, I see you are currently on this thread. Can you recommend spots to sample fresh crab out your way?
Old 05-19-2015, 02:20 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Bryant , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
Tim, if you spot me... You and the missus, stop for a visit and if we aren't still driving ...a glass of wine. I'll be the Lil' ol' white haired lady with the blond Pomeranian. As we're all kindred spirits...I welcome meeting any and all AIRSTREAMERS along the way. (I hail from the south originally....bred with 'hospitality gene'.) HAPPY TRAILS, YA'LL! Hope to meet and make new friends in my journey! Evelyn.

Sounds great. We love our wine and southern hospitality. Our big red numbers are 1102.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:22 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Bryant , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bk Yd Safari View Post
Be sure to visit Mount Rushmore at night for the Illumination Program. The burros at Custer will bite so be careful. Yellowstone is awesome!!! so many large animal encounters, but don't miss the Tetons while in the area. If you take the route to Arches and Mesa Verde be sure to see Monument Valley. Head south from Arches to Monument Valley then east to Mesa Verde. Be aware that if head east from Mesa Verde to Alamosa via US160 to get to I-70 in eastern CO you will cross Wolf Creek Pass at an elevation of almost 11,000ft and some grades over 6% on both sides of the pass. This highway has been improved in the last several years.
So many places to see and so little time...enjoy

Really look forward to rushmore at night. Thanks for the heads up on the route. Will be my first time towing at that elevation and those grades. Anything I can do or keep in mind to be prepared? We have an equalizer hitch and I feel like I have plenty of truck for my trailer.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:44 PM   #23
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
This sounds like a fun trip.

I don't know how you feel about driving in big city traffic towing a trailer, but there's lots of it in and around Denver and SLC.

If you are driving between SLC and Denver, however, you might well consider the national parks (Arches, Canyonlands) just south of I-70. But like the other national parks and their gateway communities, camping spots tend to fill up well in advance. If you want an RV site in or near Moab, I'd phone ahead ASAP. Arches NP will probably be booked up already. Otherwise, one of our favourite first-come, first-serve boondocking campgrounds is a BLM CG called Horse Thief, very close to the spectacular views of Dead Horse Point State Park. This CG is getting more and more discovered, however; but the BLM does allow overflow camping in the desert just beyond it. There is also first-come first served dispersed camping along the Colorado River east of Moab, but these sites are extremely popular with rafters, kayakers, &c.

If you take I-70 across central Utah, the scenery is breath-taking, but there truly are no services of any description between Salina and Green River-- a distance of something like 105 miles.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:20 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Shortest way from Salt Lake to Little Rock is 1,500 miles, across the fruited plain. Twenty four hours of driving at safe towing speeds. I usually take three days to do it but have done it in two because of a family emergency here at home. Check your tire pressure every single day before you tow your camper. You will be shocked at how low your tires will be after a cold mountain night.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:47 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Great tours on this thread! If you have a "bucket list" get it together from these posts.

While at Mount Rushmore, be sure to stop at the Crazy Horse Monument that is still a work in progress since 1948. Large parking lot and if you get there early you can park tow vehicle and trailer anywhere, as most visitors do not begin to show up until 10AM.

The Custer Battlefield near Crow Agency, Montana has an excellent Ranger Historian who makes the trip worthwhile. A bit out of the way, but everyone is familiar with this site.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:55 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
Yellstone

Hi, We will be in West Yellowstone and Colter Bay from July 6th to 18th.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:55 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamAholic View Post
Really look forward to rushmore at night. Thanks for the heads up on the route. Will be my first time towing at that elevation and those grades. Anything I can do or keep in mind to be prepared? We have an equalizer hitch and I feel like I have plenty of truck for my trailer.
If your truck has a tow/haul mode on the transmission use it and let the transmission help with braking on the descents. Also keep an eye on the transmission temp.

If you want to avoid Wolf Creek Pass (great scenery) head south at Pagosa Springs for Santa Fe and further south I-40. Amarillo Ranch in Amarillo is an easy off and on and a good overnight stop. I-40 is very rough in OK especially around OK City.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:28 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Runnells , IA
Sounds like a long trip in a fairly short time. Hope you don't get home more fatigued than when you left.