Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2016, 06:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Danville , Pennsylvania
Thumbs up First Light in our 2017 International Signature 23FB

I’ve been a regular reader of the forum now for the 6 weeks we’ve owned our AS and realize how much I enjoy reading the ‘first light’ accounts of other new owners. So here goes.

My initial impetus to even getting a travel trailer was to feed my zest for amateur astronomy and short overnight stays at state parks here in Pennsylvania (including Cherry Springs, a registered International Dark Sky Park). Up until now we have set up tents when doing astronomy – I even have an ‘observing tent’ that features a zippered roof that opens as the telescope opening. We had refined our star-gazing camping to a fine art with camp equipment, etc. and really enjoyed it, but more and more realized it was a lot of work to set up and break down for every 2-3 day trip. It was generally not workable to come home from work on a Friday afternoon and, on the spur of the moment, pack up and go camping. Also, on the (fortunately rare) occasions when weather does not cooperate, tent living is less than ideal. So the idea of a small camper that was perpetually set up and ready to go was an attractive idea.

I had started exploring campers and even seriously considered buying a used box camper, but then lightning struck. As we were literally driving out of the park after a 3-day star party this past September, a 2016 Sport 22FB Bambi was also leaving. They had pulled over to make an adjustment, and I took the brazen opportunity to stop and ask if I could peak inside. The owners graciously complied and I was immediately hooked. It was beautiful… and I suddenly wanted an Airstream.

Almost as if ordained by providence, when I got home and returned to work a friend mentioned a big RV show held annually at Hershey that just happened to be scheduled for the following week. And so my bride and I traveled down to ‘just look’. At the show we made a bee line for Airstream and I first toured a 22FB Bambi. It was just as I had remembered… and I was even more hooked until I toured a 2017 International 23FB. It was even better and we immediately noticed how much quieter it was despite the warm day and AC running on high - ducted air. It also had the advantage of dual axels along with factory solar and awning packages. And it was small enough for easy maneuverability. The next thing I knew I was signing a check for the deposit and after quick widening of the driveway we made a pleasant trip to Colonial RV in New Jersey on November 4 and drove her home the following day.

So as to our initial experience with the trailer:

I had read (in the forums) that most RV dealers invite you to stay a night at their facility to check out the trailer and ‘kick the tires’. We did stay overnight and found it to be a very good idea with the orientation the following morning. Playing with everything helped us create a list of questions to ask at orientation and identified a very short list of things to fix while we were still at the dealer (rather than 3 hours away). Actually the only thing of any significance was a malfunctioning digit on the solar charging display – the Colonial techs immediately replaced the display (no more issues).

The orientation we received was very thorough and our drive home was uneventful. The occasional creaking from the ant-sway/weight-distributing hitch when making sharp turns took a little getting used to, but the trailer handled very well at 60 mph (on a busy interstate with tractor-trailers passing us at 70). And fuel consumption was better than I had expected. TV is a 2015 Nissan Titan Pro4X with tow package (gas V8). Long trip non-towing fuel economy is generally ~15-17 mpg. The tow home we got ~12 mpg.

Winterization was pretty straight-forward. As a newbie I did not want to take any chances so after draining all tanks I both blew all the lines using a 6 gal compressor and pumped in pink RV antifreeze (pure propylene glycol) and left a little in the black and grey tanks and a cup in all drains. Covered the tires. The trailer is roughly leveled and plugged into 15 amp shore power to run the fridge (for thanksgiving overflow).

Since we have AGM batteries and solar I am following the advice of Colonial and leaving the batteries in place for the winter – just checking them every week (I'll probably unplug from shore power).

No star gazing use yet, but that will come. Our initial and only outing before putting her to bed for the winter was to a local state park for one night with our two granddaughters (3 & 7). We (especially they) had a wonderful time. I can’t wait till spring!

Happy trails and clear skies!
Fbastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:04 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
hellertown , Pennsylvania
You are living my dream, but for now, for this old guy & gal a Scamp 16' will get us by. You will find tons of campgrounds between PA, NY, and the VA's reachable for a long weekend in a beautiful state or NF area. Have fun. Carl
carlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:36 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2021 19' Caravel
Hummelstown , Pennsylvania
Hi. I enjoyed your post. We are newbies too from the Hershey area. My wife and I have been exploring the RV industry for over a year and decided on a travel trailer. While we have always loved and admired the airstreams, they just seemed too expensive. We ended up going to the 2016 Hershey RV show with about 4 different manufactures on our list to possibly buy from, but just had to visit the airstream displays...big mistake. We were overtaken by the style and quality and after moving on to the other brands we found ourselves....depressed. Anyway, we ended up buying from Colonial (2016 1 year old international serenity - 27fb) and it is now winterized and parked in our back yard. Only had one night out in her before the end of the season, but are looking forward to spring. We have lots to learn but this forum is great and I can't wait to get out there....
pdonohue47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 08:20 PM   #4
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Wonderful story. Happy trails to you, too.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:22 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Congratulations! Great story and the best written story I've had the pleasure to read. I'll be selfish and tell you that I'm looking forward to reading about your experiences if we're lucky enough to have you post about them. I hope winter passes quickly for you and you have many great experiences with your new Airstream. Safe Travels!
StrmyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote