Old 07-30-2011, 02:01 PM   #15
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Infared device is all well and good. I still like to touch the hubs. My hand has no battery to go bad. I guess I'm old fashioned. Had our trailer out for quite a few thousands of miles. No breakage to mention but a few hinges to come loose and need to be tightened. A few small water line fittings to snug up that sort of things seem to always haunt us on the road, so just be prepared. I still have to keep an eye on the refrigerator door. I have to carefully make sure the door is latched tight or it tends to pop open on the road. But we all know that when you're prepared for things they tend not to happen. So for that reason alone it is comforting to think ahead.

Enjoy your travels. See ya on the road.

Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:21 PM   #16
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
all of the above are good suggestions.

from personal experience - bring along a spiral notebook and a few pens/pencils.

as you discover that you forgot something, would have liked something, or brought along something you didn't need - make a note.

written notes are better than trusting to your memory after you get home.

- i know some folks will do this on their computer, or netbook, or smart phone, etc. But then you have to remember cords, batteries, chargers, etc.

relax and have a fun trip

Jon & Deb
Phoebe & Ellis - Airstreaming Mini-Schauzers

I Don’t Always Pull A Trailer
But When I Do - I Pull An Airstream
Keep Moving My Friends
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:38 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
Well my Father stopped by my house today to do a pre-flight check (hes a mechanic and couldn't possibly let me leave the area without him actually putting his eyes on my truck and trailer). Boy am i glad he did, would seem that the tranfer case on my '95 suburban was loose from the tansmission. I spent so much time getting tires and refer and other big items for the trailer, that i didn't give the ol' famly car a good once over. I did get he oil changed b4 we head out, but seems that was not enough love for the 'burb.
Did you want fries with that?
Uzzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #18

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Remember your not traveling the Sahara, it's the USA after all, theres always Wally World.
After you have a few miles under your belt the necessary items will find their way into your Stream'n kit. DW has her's and I mine.

Just don't forget the WD40, duct tape, zip-ties and a flashlight.

Have a GREAT trip!!!!!

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:48 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
I'm at work and having a hard time concentrating on it... as u probably figured out, im on the forum instead of working. The first big trip in our new to us AS seems to be a life changing event. There is life before, and there is life after. The kids have not stopped talking about the trip all week, and you know how that goes... if the kids are super excited, it's hard not to also be super excited.
Old 07-31-2011, 05:58 AM   #20
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
The only thing I'd add to the above is to not be too concerned about daily distances. Just noting them. Until one is comfortable not simply with equipment (the rig) there are also the people involved. For example: one need always stop after four hours to spend time away from the vehicle. Out and about. If this involves fuel and meal so much the better.

But pax will need restroom break 30-60 minutes after meal & beverages once back on the road. Trip-Planning involves the calculation of time & distance. Each trip leg is of a particular distance. Travel speed is only a guideline as to the hows and whens of stops. Roughly 100-miles (or two hours) suffice for general purposes.

Knowing ahead of time the Interstate Exit # (or other markers) for, say, rest areas (with a trailer: sufficiently safe parking for trailer use) means one can keep an eye on how the day is progressing.

Surprises are always in store until the group learns to travel together. As in the above, keep handwritten notes: time, speed, stopping points.

Travel with a trailer proceeds at a different pace. Analysis involves travel speed which is different than vehicle speed. If we travel 326-miles in nine hours, our travel speed is 36-mph (not surprising for vacations with children, IMO). Over more than one trip one can use these numbers to fit in sight-seeing and still make reserved campgrounds without undue stress. (Commercial drivers use 50-mph . . make that the fastest you'd want to travel. [This is looked at over numerous trips by the way]).

Past the sixth travel hour, everyone, professional and neophyte (commercial and private) undergoes some skill deterioration. Having an itinerary built from experience allays some of the stresses.

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:39 AM   #21
The handy accountant
1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
So far, with three major trips under our belt, our major challenge has been plumbing. This is due to our first winter's inadequate winterizing, which caused leaks to spring up everywhere. So we take hoses and clamps with us(and in the future will take a small socket wrench st to tighten clamps too) We have also had our share of stove issues. With a 35 year old trailer, some issues are to be expected, unless you do a front to back refurb. If you're prepared, problems shift out of the catastrophic zone to be minor inconveniences. They make for good stories later.
Kevin and Leah
Accountants who tow sans regret
"I nostri cuori e le menti appartengono al flusso d'aria"
pageclot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:57 AM   #22
Not your average Tiki
1968 26' Overlander
Columbia , Missouri
Have plenty of Patience! The wife and I went for our first real long trip in the AS last fall from Missouri to Ontario, Canada (2 weeks). Maintain a good attitude and that will take you a long way down the road.
Tikiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master
1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Don't worry too much about where the next rest stop is located.

You are towing one of the best rest stops in the world. It is usually easy to find a safe place to park at most exits off the highway where everyone can use your own facilities and you can prepare a quick lunch and get back on the road.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
Jim Foster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:47 AM   #24
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
"Next Exit" tells you what is at or near each interstate exit and whether they are RV friendly. RV stores usually have it.

You are on the road and I hope the worries float away and you are enjoying your first Airstream vacation.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:17 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
Hueytown , Alabama
Great lists, trip planning, and things to be aware of in the previous posts!!! But don't forget the CAMERA, and a way to upload them them to this thread, if possible. We want to go along on your journey with you, through your pictures.

Have a safe and great time. Make some memories!!
Thanks, Jerry and Ginger
AIR 55079

"Son, you can do anything you want, as long as you can read".. J.P. Rambin
Hueytownalss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member
1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
got to the first leg of our adventure and the wife and kids are loving it (well i am too). the rockies where a bit tough....35mph is soooo slow, but we made it to the inlaws and we are having a great time. Not sure what kind of motor all those pick up trucks with the fifth wheels are packing but they must have been doing 70 up the passes, but not me.

Amazing enough, the wife and kids where the ones saying, "maybe we can drive for a couple more hours and just be there?" instead of, "can we stop and go swimming?" this trailer tows so much better than the old Prowler we used to have. we'd probably still be in Idaho somewhere with that darn thing.

So we spend today in Montana, tomorrow... who knows, Maybe we'll stop at some caves in South Dekota... maybe we'll find a nice campground and stay for a couple days. I LOVE VACATION!

Thanks for the pointers, "take your time" i think has been the best yet.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Stay safe. I tell me adult children to stay away from creek and river campgrounds and away from anything below an earthen dam. The reason those river side campgrounds are there is the location isn't safe for homes or businesses due to flash and regular floods. Last week in Sioux Falls, the Sioux River rose seven feet in two hours from a 5 inch rain. The only thing that saved the south side of the city was the river berms wisely installed a few years ago and recently raised.

If you're in western South Dakota, stay away from Keystone, and anything anywhere near Rapid Creek. The whole Rapid Creek corridor down the hill and through Rapid City is prone to flash flooding. They have a history of earthen dams failing. Look up Rapid City flood 1972.
Click on the link to see a picture of the Sioux River falls near my home.
Eastern South Dakota is very pretty with hills, rivers, and trees.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member
1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
wow, splitrock, we have the same trailer! ok, thanks for the safety info. You have any suggestions for a nice place to stay over for the night? The "plan" is to drive from Livingston, MT and stop when we decide that we have had enough. My guess is that we will end up in South Dekota somewhere. I believe the border is out of our range for a single days drive. Sioux Falls is 13 hours away (according to Google)... which i believe translates to 20 hours of trailer travel. (tongue in cheek, but there's no way im going to drive 80 MPH towing my new baby)