Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2011, 06:39 AM   #21
The handy accountant

1976 27' Overlander
Scarborough , Ontario
So far, with three major trips under our belt, our major challenge has been plumbing. This is due to our first winter's inadequate winterizing, which caused leaks to spring up everywhere. So we take hoses and clamps with us(and in the future will take a small socket wrench st to tighten clamps too) We have also had our share of stove issues. With a 35 year old trailer, some issues are to be expected, unless you do a front to back refurb. If you're prepared, problems shift out of the catastrophic zone to be minor inconveniences. They make for good stories later.
"I nostri cuori e le menti appartengono al flusso d'aria"
pageclot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:57 AM   #22
Not your average Tiki

1968 26' Overlander
Columbia , Missouri
Have plenty of Patience! The wife and I went for our first real long trip in the AS last fall from Missouri to Ontario, Canada (2 weeks). Maintain a good attitude and that will take you a long way down the road.
Tikiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Don't worry too much about where the next rest stop is located.

You are towing one of the best rest stops in the world. It is usually easy to find a safe place to park at most exits off the highway where everyone can use your own facilities and you can prepare a quick lunch and get back on the road.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:47 AM   #24
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
"Next Exit" tells you what is at or near each interstate exit and whether they are RV friendly. RV stores usually have it.

You are on the road and I hope the worries float away and you are enjoying your first Airstream vacation.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:17 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Hueytown , Alabama
Great lists, trip planning, and things to be aware of in the previous posts!!! But don't forget the CAMERA, and a way to upload them them to this thread, if possible. We want to go along on your journey with you, through your pictures.

Have a safe and great time. Make some memories!!

"Son, you can do anything you want, as long as you can read".. J.P. Rambin
Hueytownalss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
got to the first leg of our adventure and the wife and kids are loving it (well i am too). the rockies where a bit tough....35mph is soooo slow, but we made it to the inlaws and we are having a great time. Not sure what kind of motor all those pick up trucks with the fifth wheels are packing but they must have been doing 70 up the passes, but not me.

Amazing enough, the wife and kids where the ones saying, "maybe we can drive for a couple more hours and just be there?" instead of, "can we stop and go swimming?" this trailer tows so much better than the old Prowler we used to have. we'd probably still be in Idaho somewhere with that darn thing.

So we spend today in Montana, tomorrow... who knows, Maybe we'll stop at some caves in South Dekota... maybe we'll find a nice campground and stay for a couple days. I LOVE VACATION!

Thanks for the pointers, "take your time" i think has been the best yet.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Stay safe. I tell me adult children to stay away from creek and river campgrounds and away from anything below an earthen dam. The reason those river side campgrounds are there is the location isn't safe for homes or businesses due to flash and regular floods. Last week in Sioux Falls, the Sioux River rose seven feet in two hours from a 5 inch rain. The only thing that saved the south side of the city was the river berms wisely installed a few years ago and recently raised.

If you're in western South Dakota, stay away from Keystone, and anything anywhere near Rapid Creek. The whole Rapid Creek corridor down the hill and through Rapid City is prone to flash flooding. They have a history of earthen dams failing. Look up Rapid City flood 1972.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:26 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
wow, splitrock, we have the same trailer! ok, thanks for the safety info. You have any suggestions for a nice place to stay over for the night? The "plan" is to drive from Livingston, MT and stop when we decide that we have had enough. My guess is that we will end up in South Dekota somewhere. I believe the border is out of our range for a single days drive. Sioux Falls is 13 hours away (according to Google)... which i believe translates to 20 hours of trailer travel. (tongue in cheek, but there's no way im going to drive 80 MPH towing my new baby)
Old 08-01-2011, 05:53 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Spearfish, up on the hillside. Nice park, no floods. Can't remember the name. It's right off I 90.

Sioux Falls is 400 miles from Spearfish.

Most people want to see the southern hills, Custer park, and Rushmore. Visit the Borglum Historical Center in Keystone before looking at the mountain. Crazy Horse is up between Hill City and Custer. Don't watch the gunfight in Hill City . . . ever. They've used real bullets . . twice. This year they shot three tourists. For real.

Deadwood's fun. Watch the old people play slots, or watch the bikers slide off light poles if you're there during the rally.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:04 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
The caves I've visited are in the southern hills. When I'm in Hot Springs, it's nice to take a swim at Evan's Plunge. The water comes out of the ground warm. They have a rock bottom to the swimming pool and the water is constantly coming up and refilling the pool with warm water. Kids love it.

People in the southern hills use their turned off water heaters to cool the water before drinking in summer. First time I saw it I thought what the heck? In summer they get hot water from the cold tap and cold water from the hot tap.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:03 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
ok, well it's been a fun time, made it all the way back to Montana on the return trip from Indiana. Stayed at my first RV park in Wall SD last week, i've decided that a pool is a nice thing to have after traveling all day. learned a lot, and found out that the RV coverage on my AAA does not cover my Airstream when i loose my water heater in the 'burb in Iowa. Lucky for me, AAA sent out a top notch outfit to pick us up and they had us back to the lonely stretch of interstate where I left my trailer in about 4 hours. I was pretty sure it would still be there, but it was awesome to see my belov'd mobile biodome shining in the afternoon Iowa sun... and there was not an 18 wheeler sticking out the back of it.

We've got lots of fun stories of Bison, and prarie dogs, and RV parks, and fun in the car. stay another day here at the in-laws, then off to Cour D'Lane for a night. I think i could get used to disapearing in my Airstream for weeks on end. By far the best vacation.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:11 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
What's that about AAA coverage? What won't they cover? What's a water heater in a burb?
Old 08-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
wow, my bad... i meant water pump in the suburban. About the AAA, it would seem that they have RV coverage, but my membership from Washington didn't cover the tow of my airstream when i was in Iowa. Some of it seems that it may be my fault, i assumed that my premium membership covered the trailer, but it would seem that i misread the information. I guess i need to have a seperate "rider" for the trailer on my membership.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:55 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I'm gonna check on that AAA RV rider. Thanks for bringing it up. Water pump makes sense:-)
Old 08-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #35
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Others have reported that AAA coverage is not what it seemed to be and different from state to state.

We have Good Sam.

Gene
Old 08-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
We're just back from our first long run, 17 nights from Southern Ontario to Florida then back via New Orleans and Knoxville TN with lots of stops on the way. Our Airstream (28' International Serenity) is new and behaved itself pretty well but we did keep a close eye on tire temps and the like, given the hot weather. With the kids on board we did too many stops so when we do our next big run with them we'll go some place and stop for the week.

There was nothing too testing on that route save for a couple of grades in Tennessee and some awfully bumpy roads, especially in Michigan. Our tow vehicle, a 2011 Toyota Sienna worked really well, turning in around 12 mpg (US) and the only problem was a slow flat on the Sienna that we had fixed in Maryville TN.

Can't wait for the next run out.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:34 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Corinth , Mississippi
You are right about AAA coverage. After checking on the coverage that they offer i decided to look elsewhere though I was already a AAA member. By the time I upgraded my membership to cover towing of my AS I found that I could get cheaper coverage with far less restrictions from Airstream. It is provided by Coach Net. My card says "THOR COSTUMER CARE ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE AIRSTREAM." I have towed more than 5,000 miles in the last 5 months without an incident so it has not been used and perhaps never will, but I like to know it is there if I need it. I would not be happy leaving my AS on the side of the road.
Hodum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:25 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
interesting, didn't accure to me that i could get roadside from Airstream. I'll have to look into that. I've been happy with AAA, but leaving my trialer on the hiway in Iowa was a bit disapointing... but i suppose theres already a thread going about AAA and Good Sam.

Day 3 of being home from vacation and i find that i'm looking for places that i could tow the trailer here locally. I was going to take it to Home depot, but the wife just looked at me and shook here head. Seems that once you start towing your AS around, it's such a joy, that you want to do it all the time.

I may be going through withdrawls, i've spent everyday home from vacation in the AS doing something. had to fix the wall next to the fridge and put in a new porch light with a fancy LED panel-bulb-thing. I'd post some pics, but i have not a camera to do so. have to bug the wife on that one.

I'm very impressed that we traveled 4k miles and nothing broke on the trailer. My dad stopped by yesterday to "check it out" and was suprised to see that the trailer looked just like it did b4 we left... accept for the extra bugs on the front.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #39
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
[QUOTE=Uzzah;1033004 Seems that once you start towing your AS around, it's such a joy, that you want to do it all the time.

[/QUOTE]

Happens to all of us.

There are threads on AAA, Good Sam and others—use the search function.

Gene
Old 08-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
well i'm glad i'm not the only one then trying to tow my 31 footer to Starbucks.... the one that I would normally walk to.

Have to go to actual work tomorow, it's a good thing my work van doesn't have a tow hitch of any sort. My customers may get a little freaked out and think that the cable guy is coming over to stay.

May have to pose a photo of that one... as long as i don't show that actual trailer tongue it might look pretty funny. I can see the page in the wife's scrapbook already.