Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2003, 07:40 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

First big trip

Just got back from a 1300 mile trip in our '71 23 foot Safari. We went from Nashville to Natchez on the Natchez Trace (441 miles one way). It was the first extended trip in our restored Airstream. Pulled it with our '90 Chevy Silverado with 164,000 miles on it. Ran like a dream. I had spent the last 9 months fixing it up the Safari and had a great time doing it. The trip was super and we had no problems. Lovely time of year with the Azelias bloomed out as well as dogwoods and redbuds.
When we left Nashville, it was snowing and the farther South we got the nicer it was.
The speed limit on the Trace is 50 miles an hour with a lot of "slow downs and stop and look" at places. Road is basically flat 85 percent of the way. Therefore not a lot of stress on the tow vehicle. Natchez was nice. We camped across the river at a new RV park in Vidalia, LA. Full hookups with cable, swimming pool and all the good stuff.
Came back by way of Vicksburg and up the Delta Highway. Ran with the windows down, Blues playing on the stereo and a full tank of gas. Just like the travel literature recommends.
Good campgrounds at Tupelo (Tombigby State Park, $10 for full hookups if over 62.) Grenada Lake State Park, same price, water and elec. only. Davy Crockett State Park in Tennessee).
Happy Trails,
Dan
Dbraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 11:12 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
That is one trip I had planned for the future.
Sounds like a great spring trip.
Have you ever been across the trace in the fall?
I wondered what it looked like then .
jpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 03:01 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Trace in the fall

It is beautiful in the fall with lots of reds and yellows. At the northern end, most of the color had passed, but as I proceeded south, it became more colorful each mile.

It is equally pretty in the spring, although I only drove the lower half in the springtime.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 05:56 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Haven't been down the Trace in the Fall, but I bet it is nice. Any trip in the Fall should be good. Same as any trip in the Spring, Summer or even Winter, if it is in the South.
Dan
Dbraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 08:45 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
Re: Trace in the fall

Quote:
Originally posted by Pahaska
It is beautiful in the fall with lots of reds and yellows.
thanks
This years vacation is already planned but next april after the planned "Mystic Springs weekend " would be a good time to take the long way home via the Natchez Trace.

it is never to early to plan a road trip
jpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote