Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
ooooooo....la......la. Been waiting for this thread!

Everything looks beautiful!

Airstreaming sure changes things, i.e. before AS, I wouldn't have been caught dead at a truck stop because I was a snob. Now I love them!

The book that was recommended sounds great. One thing I noticed on my trip to Alberta on the Trans-Canada - the farther away from the city - the more RV friendly the road. Many gas stations, shopping malls, and restaurants had made provisions for RVs.

You prepared yourself well by joining the forum and asking many questions.

And......congratulations!
Old 12-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Like others, I have been waiting for this thread! Yahoo! As to gas stations, surprisingly, most of them are workable once you get the hang of it. They look impossible though. I have only had to "back out" of one in about 20,000 miles.

Happy camping!
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
ok so some more details....

It being as cold as it was we were mostly bunkered down in the AS except for a couple outings and a campfire one night for a couple hours or less...spending time in the AS with the 2 kids was fun....

We watched a bunch of christmas movies, made hot chocolate...the trailer was pre-baby proofed and she crawled around playing with some toys we brought along....with the bunkhouse naps were easy..charlie slept on top bunk, olivia would nap on bottom, but we would sleep her in the pack-n-play - this was a bit annoying but totally doable...just deployed it and sat it on the dinette (with the table pushed all the way down...

The small 2.5 gallon shop vac I bought at HD before leaving was a freaking awesome addition....kids drop crumbs and such everywhere - i kept that little unit store under the queen bed...pop it up...pick up, plug in....and all evidence of snack time from cushions, floor, and booster chair all gone!

Tracking dirt into the trailer was a constant issue until I put out my patio mat and began taking my shoes off more....but easy sweep up jobs...im already seeing how these floors will harbor dirt in the woood like textures in em (this was discussed in another thread).

I was amazed how much grey water we could generate so fast from washing baby bottles, dishes, etc...luckily full hookup....I think for a while we will stick to full hookups jeez...that or we will have to really change our sink use procedures when not at full hookups.

It turns out I am crap at starting a fire...finally got one going, but I struggled...forgot to start with a good amount of kindling and struggled at first...must of looked like such a noob...also it turns out I hate camfires...that smoke smell bothered me and it was so damn cold the fire did not even do that much...but boy oh boy did my 3 year old like the fire...

used the gas oven...worked like a champ...was warned before that it can over-cook and burn stuff....this simply was not the case for us...we made biscuits one morning for example and it went totally textbook with perfect results...we forgot to bring our stone pizza stone to put in bottom - supposedly to help even out heat...that may indeed help but so far that appears unnecessary based on the biscuits and texas toast we made...also made scalloped potatoes baked...turnout out texbook...made bacon and eggs on the gas range...went great...got little bits of greas all over the stove top - had bought some kitchen cleaning microfiber towels at HD when I got the vaccum - they are light blue color - 10 pack - these cleaned up surfaces after cooking with absolute easy....used one damp for cleaning most...and clean dry one to shiny end result...kept a few of those and wiped up all surfaces whenever wet or dirty and kept trailer spotless easy...

I have a bit of a leak from the how water heater plug...going soon to pick up some plumbers tape take it out and tape it and re-insert...hopefully that will fix that...other than that no quality issues so far...

Have not figured out how to use this sonin leak detector...not even sure how to prod around the perimeter of interior to to the flooring in the way...need to do this soon as it has rained quite a bit since I picked it up and want to see if any moisture is building from a leak I am not seeing. any help about how to use the meter with this flooring appreciated.

Only slight snafu was as my wife did interior departure checklist, she forgot to look inside the shower...we had a big container of shampoo we brought from home...had the cap off as the nozzle was apparently broken...when we got home the whole bottle was spilled in the floor of the shower...very very strong fresh scent - need a solution for shampoo and conditioner dispenser...

already rarin' and ready for next trip...likely to be canopener based on our schedules.

first sewer dump....used sewer solution...had only used number 2 twice on the 4 day trip...was surprised how many flushes I had to do to get it to nice and clear with nomore stuff coming out...I was slow at first because I would move hose from sewer solution to the black tank flush then run that...then switch it back to sewer solution to empty that water...finally got smart and hooked up y-connector and used another hose for the black tank flush for easy switching on the fly....after that it was a bit quicker...still took me like 4 cycles to get it as clean as I liked...but it will be faster next time...took me like 30 min this time...will take me 10-15 next time I think. like the sewer solution so far....I can see how it is a bit slower though but nice not to worry about the angle of the hose or how much grey water I have to flush...no need. so far so good.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
in the spirit of christmas and in the spirit of desiring a more manly movie...one night after all went to bed, I stayed up to watch original movie Die Hard...what a great flick

Old 12-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Pharm,

This is the dispenser we got from BB&B.

simplehuman | wall mount soap pumps

They're kind of big, but much higher quality than I have had in the past...and partly silver to boot.

For the oven I got an external thermometer with a probe that goes in the oven. My knob temp was off, but I forget if it was high or low. Got it at Target, I think.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
good reviews on this with amazon....putting in my wifes stocking dznf0g!

Old 12-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #47
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Tracking dirt into the trailer was a constant issue until I put out my patio mat and began taking my shoes off more....but easy sweep up jobs...im already seeing how these floors will harbor dirt in the woood like textures in em (this was discussed in another thread).
I use my patio mat anytime there's gravel, dirt, or mud in the patio area, but when I'm parked on a paved apron, I'll get by with a regular doormat. Sometimes when I use the patio mat, I'll put the doormat out as well, over at the edge of the patio mat, for people to wipe their feet before stepping on the patio mat. BUT I won't putt down either mat in grass. Don't want to kill the grass by covering it up and denying it sunshine, or worse, have the grass grow up through the mat if I'm there long enough.
Quote:
I was amazed how much grey water we could generate so fast from washing baby bottles, dishes, etc...luckily full hookup....I think for a while we will stick to full hookups jeez...that or we will have to really change our sink use procedures when not at full hookups.
Blue Thetford tote, carried in the back of your tow vehicle (or even on the floor of the trailer) while en route. Get one big enough to hold the full output of your gray tank. Newer ones have a redesigned handle that lets you hook it up to your tow vehicle's trailer hitch to tow the tote (slowly) to a dump station, rather than pulling it by brute force. That handle design is very handy for when the dump station is at a higher elevation than your campsite, considering how heavy the totes are when full.
Quote:
need a solution for shampoo and conditioner dispenser...
Something like this? Bath and Shower Dispensers from FAMOUS PLUMBING SUPPLY Your choice of up to four compartments (I recommend making sure one compartment is filled with waterless hand sanitizer).
Old 12-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
yeah, If I will be camping without full hookups one of those totes will be nice to have...or even necessary given how much we use...I think the relatively long, non-navy showers we took did the trick

boy those dispensers are less expensive...certainly less attractive than the other though.....

Old 12-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
my big patio mat (7x20) is some kind of breathable stuff...supposedly does not kill grass...really like this mat...

Old 12-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #50
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
yeah, If I will be camping without full hookups one of those totes will be nice to have...or even necessary given how much we use...I think the relatively long, non-navy showers we took did the trick

boy those dispensers are less expensive...certainly less attractive than the other though.....
I meant the link as an illustration of a type, not an endorsement. You could always talk to June at Foley RV, and order the same type of dispenser that comes in an Airstream Interstate's wet bath (which I don't have a picture of or a link for). Three compartments, chromed plastic.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I meant the link as an illustration of a type, not an endorsement. You could always talk to June at Foley RV, and order the same type of dispenser that comes in an Airstream Interstate's wet bath (which I don't have a picture of or a link for). Three compartments, chromed plastic.
I actually had one of those in my old SOB....briefly. It broke in about a year. leaked all over the place. (the one you linked, I mean)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 12-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Thrilled for you. Hope to post our maiden voyage in a few months.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
for the bathroom liquids i use a small waste basket and leave it in the shower floor. it may not be childproof in your trrailer.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I'll check into the interstate version - good idea

Old 12-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Luigi - cant wait for it man!!

Old 12-03-2013, 05:41 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
The AS has become a man cave hangout - a few buddies came over and drank bourbon (4 roses as I recall) - wife does not agree but I'm unofficially naming it "the man can"

I'm not much a drinker at all - but we had fun and plan on making it a bit of a routine.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Pharm, This is the dispenser we got from BB&B. simplehuman | wall mount soap pumps They're kind of big, but much higher quality than I have had in the past...and partly silver to boot. For the oven I got an external thermometer with a probe that goes in the oven. My knob temp was off, but I forget if it was high or low. Got it at Target, I think.
I just ordered this as well as the one for the shower (soap, shampoo, conditioner). So glad you it! We don't have our AS yet, so it hasn't been installed. Speaking of which...how does it install?
Old 12-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
It does not require drilling. It comes with double sided tape to hold it in place while the included silicone adhesive sets up. So it can be removed and leave no holes. Plus, no holes = no leaks.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
I would probably bash my wrist/elbow on the adhesive shampoo holder and down it would come. Once the adhesive is broken, it probably would never stay up again, and I'd have a sore wrist/elbow to boot.

My trailer-stocking theory is this: it should have a dual/multi-use function. So, I put my shampoo/conditioner in this and sling it from the shower head. When I want to go hiking, out goes the shampoo/conditioner, and in goes the water bottle.
Amazon.com: Mesh 22 oz. Water Bottle Holder, Navy: Sports & Outdoors

ha! ha! about your "Mancave." The FaN has been my driveway Womancave since day one. I sleep, read, and do some work in it.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Dzn - just ordered the 2 unit one - good stocking stuffer for the wifey

I think I have a spot in shower out of the way - we shall see