Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
First Aid Kits

So what's in yours? We usually forget to take ours because I don't want to keep in out the camper because it gets so hot out there in summer. I gotta work on that pre-flight checklist. Here's a list o'stuff that we keep in ours, just in case.

Sterile bandages from small to very large.
Neosporine
Bee and Wasp Sting Relief
Skin Shield--a kind of liquid bandage that has Antiseptic and bad-aid type coverage all in one for small things
Chigger Aid--helpful down south
H2O2, Hydrogen Peroxide
Bug Spray
Swim Ear
Bactine

What do I need to add to the list?

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232...kit-10177.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f239...aid-37082.html
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Encinitas , California
First Aid

I always have some sort of needle (for digging out splinters) and SUPER GLUE! Super Glue is awesome for cuts especially deep ones, and on the hands or fingers. Not a good idea to use it often as it has mercury in it, but boy does it come in handy. Ice packs are good, ace bandage, tick remover, trianglular bandage, hmmm what else? Oh Balloons! if a kid gets hurt, nothing like cheering him or her up with a balloon....... :-)
HansenClan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Dang, in nearly 6 years on the forum, I missed those some how, Ricky. Guess I need to reacquaint myself with the "search" button.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
after you post, if you scroll down, there is a section of "similar threads". that list is almost better than the search feature! :-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:30 PM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
We keep a small box of Q-Tips, some cotton balls, and tweezers in ours.

A cold hops based beverage is usually part of the recuperation ritual as well.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:30 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
Hope you never have the "big one" (heart attack)esp in a remote area but if you do fast release aspirin could save your life.

Kevin
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We keep anti-bacterial ointment for cuts, hydro-cortisone cream for itches and tea tree oil for insect bites.

Everyone on regular medication should also carry in their wallet a current list of medications, dosages and primary care physician telephone number. When I talked Doug into doing this, he argued that he could remember these things---I told him that I couldn't---he wrote them down.

Maggie
Old 08-22-2010, 08:10 AM   #9
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Chigger Aid is great for any sort of insect bite or itch of any sort. I have one in the truck, one in the trailer, and one at home.

My wife gave me a set of large and small first aid kits for my birthday one year. The big one is in the trailer and the smaller one under the back seat of the truck.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
I highly recommend contacting your local Red Cross and signing up for a 1st Aid and CPR class if you have never taken one. Even the best, most complete 1st aid kit is just a box of band aids without knowledge of what to do in an emergency.
Speaking of Band-Aids, I usually throw out the cheap ones that come in 1st aid kits and replace them with an assorted box of good quality brand name ones. Usually the stretchable cloth type. Be careful, even Johnson & Johnson is importing crappy ones from China these days and slapping the Band-Aid brand on them. Make sure you get some of the better ones. The ones with antibiotic ointment built in have been a safe bet for better quality recently.
My wife and I do a lot of hiking, so I keep a few different kinds of stuff in there to prevent and treat blisters.
I also keep a full bloodborne pathogen kit alongside my 1st aid kit. You can't be too careful these days when camping among strangers. The kit I have cost about $17 at Wal-Mart. I will never shy away from helping anyone, but if there's blood, I want to make sure I'm protected. If you don't want to spend the money on a full kit, at least keep some surgical gloves handy in case someone is bleeding. They also work great to handle your sewage hoses while dumping your holding tanks.
Burn creams/ointments are a good idea too. Between propane powered everything on your trailer, campfires, and tow vehicles that are running hotter than normal because of heavy loads, the risk of burns while camping is considerably more than usual.
I also took one of those pill organizer containers that are intended for folks to keep up with daily meds for a week and used it for a travel container for a few pills of each kind. Extra Strength Tylenol, Nyquil liquicaps, Benadryl, Aleve, Sudafed PE, Pepto Bismol tablets, and the one prescription medication that I take are all in there. A permanent marker took care of labeling each compartment.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote