Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 07:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Folks, let's keep it courteous. We mods do not close threads liberally, but we do vigorously go after those who violate the "be nice" rule that every user agreed to when joining AirForums.

Lynn
Old 02-11-2014, 07:36 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Route 66 , Arizona
Don't ask; don't tell.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:01 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by T1NCAN View Post
I will read that. Sorry gmw, I didn't realize that utilizing a discussion forum to ask about firearms is inappropriate or grounds for having a thread shut down. I guess more important items such as wear to place your spare key should be higher on the priority list.
Wow, this thread started at 11:23AM, and it's already on it's second page. While where to place the spare key probably wouldn't have gone past the first post, it is more pertinent to Airstreaming. Discussing firearms, where and when to carry, voting rights and those who wish to trample on them, which religion or political party is the most righteous, etc, etc, all are topics more appropriately discussed on a forum dedicated to those topics. This is a divisive subject.
But then that's just my opinion.
Where the hell did I put my spare keys?
Old 02-11-2014, 08:45 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
There original question was "do you have a firearm with you, is in the TT or TV?". This thread could be further classified. Does one open or conceal carry or just have a firearm in ones possession either in the TT or TV?
"If one has one with them, DON'T flaunt it, know the laws of where one is, have a permit and know how to use it"
Old 02-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1988 Argosy 32
Lomita , California
We do travel with a 130 pound G.S. service k-9, never had a prob.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:17 PM   #26

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward View Post

What is offensive about carrying a weapon in the Airstream. It is actually a complicated and very relevant topic on the road. A topic where the collective wisdom of the group would be of great help and keep fellow Air-streamers out of trouble.

But heck its your forum. I'm just a guest
Reasoned, polite discussion on the topic is allowed and welcome. The topic itself is neither offensive nor prohibited, but the threads that have been closed previously had devolved into angry and/or snarky arguments from diametrically opposed perspectives instead.

Please be courteous.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 02-11-2014, 10:23 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Briarcliff , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post

Civilians carrying guns on the other hand.....
"Civilians"......?

Might want to restate that as most law enforcement - local, county, state and federal are "Civilians".

Military excepted..................

2022 Escape 19
Old 02-11-2014, 10:44 PM   #28
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Maybe there should be a gun master thread combining all of them so new members can read it and then move on since nothing new is ever said about guns. I suppose the same could be said of a lot of other topics, so then we could all do something else with our time.

I do request people with guns to camp far away from us since if they do use their gun, errant bullets easily go through RV's and the contents therein.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:08 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by T1NCAN View Post
Do you take them on the road with you? Why? Why not? Do you keep them in your Airstream? TV? Take them into National or State Parks? I've got a long trip coming up and I plan on bringing mine, for those low frequency but high risk situations...
Tin,

Welcome to Airforums, and congratulations on walking into one of the forum's mine fields!

(I would also suggest avoiding questions about tow vehicles, weight distributing hitches, etc. Like guns, these seem to be theological issues. )

If you are going to travel with firearm(s) two sources of information that you you will find helpful to stay out of legal trouble are a current copy of the Travelers Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States 2014 Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States

and internet access to Handgunlaw.us .

And of course, stay out of Canada, Mexico, and a number of northeastern states, most notably Massachusetts.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:24 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Regardless of the question asked this topic always deteriorates into a defense or condemnation of guns - if not openly then most certainly in the background. I have my own strong feelings which I no longer express. This topic is simply one that will always have a tough time finding a positive place on any RV forum. I wonder if those who feel the need to carry a gun on vacation would find a more accepting audience and more helpful responses to their questions if they took them to a gun forum like this one: National Gun Forum

My two cents.

Thanks,

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
Old 02-12-2014, 07:04 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Route 66 , Arizona
Those of us who prefer to camp in solitude, during off-season, sometimes in places that are creepily (and wonderfully) quiet, middle of nowhere, no cell coverage might have a different view than those vacation season folks who stay in crowded places in the height of tourist season.

Taking one view and generalizing to all situations, is seldom the best option for any given individual.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:58 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
As Switz said - there are 50 states, each one has different gun laws. Laws regulate virtually every aspect of having a weapon - especially those from out of state. VT for instance really has no rules, while the rest of the North East is a no no. New York you can have it with you, BUT you can only stop for gas - food and to use the facilities and if asked must show proof of a reservation out of state.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
Old 02-12-2014, 08:06 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Not me. Which is just as well as we are not allowed up here anyway!

Much as we love traveling in the US and do so all the time, I will say that so much availability and focus on firearms does concern me a bit.

And despite being illegal in Canada, firearms are a growing problem here for sure.

Probably the biggest concern that I have is whether it makes us an easy mark for
would be thieves when we travel across the US with Ontario plates on the car! Especially if we stop overnight at Flying J or similar.

(Have to admit though that firearms have always pealed to me a bit in the way that fine watches and cameras do - nice shiny, well made, mechanical things!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:47 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Probably the biggest concern that I have is whether it makes us an easy mark for would be thieves when we travel across the US with Ontario plates on the car! Especially if we stop overnight at Flying J or similar.
Who knows but it is an interesting question.

I look at it this way, in Canada the thug can be certain you are not armed. Here they will think twice.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:55 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Is mace illegal in Canada? That will usually stop a thief in his tracks. In gun shops around here and mail order you can get pepper spray with tear gas mixed in. If one component does not stop them then the other will. There is also the non lethal option of a Taser gun but I am not sure of the legality of those in Canada. Stay out of places where you are most likely to need a gun. This would be any type of places like bars on Saturday night or shady parts of town. Best not to travel at night if you can help it. Stay on well traveled roads and public places. The best defense is to be aware and alert. If you don't feel safe then leave. Anyone wearing a walkman while walking or jogging are an easy mark for a mugger. Playing on your cell phone in a crowd also makes you an easy mark.

Perry
Old 02-12-2014, 09:00 AM   #36
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
One thing that appears to have been overlooked in this discussion is, regardless of the laws or regulations of your domicile state, or of the states you'll pass through, or of the public lands you'll visit, rights related to private property still apply.

In your own home, you never have to allow an armed person inside except for a law enforcement officer in the course of his duties. Even if that person happens to have a valid concealed-carry permit and he's there at your invitation, you don't have to invite his gun inside with him. That's true for most private property in most jurisdictions, not just homes. If part of the property is publicly accessible, you can't forbid legal carry in the public areas, but as soon as they pass through a door or a gate to the non-public areas, as a property owner or legal tenant you can.

If you stop at any commercial business, they have the right to ask you to disarm yourself as soon as you step into the non-public areas of the property. At a truck stop, thay can't stop you from being armed at the gas pumps, but they can require you to leave your gun in the car if you step inside to use the restroom.

If you stop at a private campground, if they have a posted no-firearms policy, then as long as you're on that property, even if State law allows you to carry, you're not allowed to carry. If the campground doesn't have a posted policy forbidding guns, your neighbors can still say they don't allow guns in their campsite, and as long as they're legal tenants of that site, you have a legal obligation to respect their wishes.

If you carry on their property anyway, they have a right to swear a complaint against you, even if it's only "creating a public nuissance" or "disturbing the peace" or "reckless endangerment." Which can still ruin your trip while you get it all sorted out even if you beat the rap, and which allows local LEOs to confiscate your weapon as evidence.

So, if you're going to go armed, do so responsibly. And discretely, with full knowledge that no matter how careful you are you still may be inadvertently breaking the law. Ideally, as long as you never have to defend yourself, no one should even suspect that you're armed, and it will never become an issue.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:03 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
There are other reasons to carry a gun than self-defense. Around here we have a problem with people hitting deer with their car. Mainly from tourists driving too fast and not being cognizant of the deer’s presence. Oftentimes they will leave a maimed deer lying on the side of the road. I for one can't bear to see the animal lying there suffering, and once you've had to put a deer down by beating it with a tire iron, you'll wish you had a gun with you.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:16 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
If you stop at a private campground, if they have a posted no-firearms policy, then as long as you're on that property, even if State law allows you to carry, you're not allowed to carry. If the campground doesn't have a posted policy forbidding guns, your neighbors can still say they don't allow guns in their campsite, and as long as they're legal tenants of that site, you have a legal obligation to respect their wishes.
I wish the laws were that simple but your post is generally correct.

I would not choose to stay at a campground posted "No Firearms". It would not matter if I was carrying or not. It would not matter if I had a gun in the rig or not. That sign may as well say "Unarmed Victims Here"
Old 02-12-2014, 09:24 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Most states reciprocate...but i'd check to be sure.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:25 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have used firearms for sport and hunting since we were kids, both trained in their use in our combined 58 nears of active and reserve military service, traveled the world, but the idea carrying weapons as defense while touring and camping with our Airstream is beyond me.

The greatest risk I see is other armed campers, made even riskier by threads like this suggesting it is somehow a good idea and encouraging more of this foolishness.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Closed Thread