Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-16-2014, 12:09 PM   #71
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
In my (exceedingly) brief tenure as a moderator in training for this forum, I adopted the perspective (rightly or not) that this forum is not as much like "the public square" as it can tend to feel (for those of us from the US). Rather, it is more like a person's home. That person has invited everyone in to enjoy one another's company and hopefully learn a lot from each other. And, as a "private home" analogy might go - the homeowner has some rules about what's fair and not fair for conversation.

I get that many topics are emotionally charged - this being one of them. It's not that firearms can't be discussed, but like hitches and other heated topics, it seems to quickly go from opposing views legitimately understanding and appreciating one another's perspectives (despite disagreeing) to highly charged "evangelizing" of both sides - all the while forgetting the homeowner's kind invitation to enjoy the party here within some well established rules - chief among them - to be nice.

Have a salubrious day, everyone :-)
I had to look it up so I felt I would share it with others.

salubrious - Dictionary Definition : Vocabulary.com

"Salubrious is a fancy way to describe something that’s good for you or is generally favorable to mind or body, but it need not be limited to describing healthy foods or liquids."

Ken
__________________

__________________
Ag&Au is offline  
Old 02-16-2014, 12:31 PM   #72
Rivet Master
 
SteveSueMac's Avatar

 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,409
Sorry Ken. Apparently that (and a whole host of other reasons) explains my exceedingly brief tenure as a mod in training :-)

And first time I saw that phrase, it was on the side if a hot dog vendor's truck I used to frequent. I had to look it up too and busted up laughing when I did! :-)
__________________

__________________
SteveSueMac is online now  
Old 02-16-2014, 01:24 PM   #73
Moderator
 
Stefrobrts's Avatar

 
1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 11,905
Images: 50
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SStar View Post
That said, this is probably one of the most non-productive threads that has appeared on the forums. I seriously doubt if it will change anyone's opinion, pro or con, as to the carry of firearms for protection.
Please note that changing anyone's opinion about guns is NOT the point of this thread. The point is that someone wants to carry their guns, and wants to know if there are any RV-traveling specific concerns. There are. There are different gun laws in different states. People have helpfully provided links to find information about these laws. That's really the point of this thread, and I'm glad our members can help each other in this way.

Debating anything else related to firearms is outside the scope of this thread.
__________________
Stephanie




Stefrobrts is offline  
Old 02-16-2014, 01:43 PM   #74
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Arguing

A few years ago*, I started a thread for the sole purpose of satisfying the desire present in many of us to argue just for the sake of it. You don't have to even be right or make sense, just be aware that whatever you say, someone will dispute it, no matter how profoundly true it may be. Feel free to use it for satisfying that urge. Just keep in mind that the entire population of the great world wide web can read it so use a bit of common sense.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ead-60297.html

Apparently arguing is a common problem on forums, because I later tried finding the argue thread by searching google and found the exact same thing on many forums. So I don't claim originality, but it was an original thought to me. However, so are a lot of thoughts other people commonly have.

Ken

*four years and one month ago today, to be exact.
__________________
Ag&Au is offline  
Old 02-16-2014, 02:20 PM   #75
3 Rivet Member
 
gsmithii's Avatar
 
2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 139
Here we go agan

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1NCAN View Post
Do you take them on the road with you? Why? Why not? Do you keep them in your Airstream? TV? Take them into National or State Parks? I've got a long trip coming up and I plan on bringing mine, for those low frequency but high risk situations...
For such a serious subject the usual ramble in our discussions may not help T1ncan. Here's another try to answer the question while drawing on some of the excellent preceding posts:

- Do you take them on the road with you? Ans. What anybody else might decide is irrevelant to you. Your decision should result from your careful assessment of your risks vs. the gain of including firearms in your safety equipment. What is your state of mind? Can you truly contemplate violence? Can you describe your threat specifically? What is your level of total and recent training? What is your plan for defense? What is the legal environment? . . . and so forth.

With those questions in mind your other questions will be answered.

Good luck.
__________________
Skip
Speed is Life . . . guidance is optional . . .
The Traveling Circus: 2013 Flying Cloud 30A; 2006 Chevy Duramax Crew/LWB
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline  
Old 02-16-2014, 03:58 PM   #76
Rivet Master
 
RangerJay's Avatar
 
2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 818
Images: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmithii View Post
For such a serious subject the usual ramble in our discussions may not help T1ncan. Here's another try to answer the question while drawing on some of the excellent preceding posts:

- Do you take them on the road with you? Ans. What anybody else might decide is irrevelant to you. Your decision should result from your careful assessment of your risks vs. the gain of including firearms in your safety equipment. What is your state of mind? Can you truly contemplate violence? Can you describe your threat specifically? What is your level of total and recent training? What is your plan for defense? What is the legal environment? . . . and so forth.

With those questions in mind your other questions will be answered.

Good luck.

Not sure - but the OP might have been scared off ..... really hope not ..... on subjects other than guns we can be quite a bit more helpful! ..... even friendly! ....


Jay
__________________
Bambi - 2002 (The Toaster)
Pathfinder - 2009 (The Buggy)

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline  
Old 02-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #77
Rivet Master
 
SteveSueMac's Avatar

 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,409
Resources that may be of interest (though not a specific answer to the OP's question) :

http://rvbookstore.com/shop/detail.aspx?p=367
Gun laws in all 50 states

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/usa.pdf
US Handgun Laws
__________________
SteveSueMac is online now  
Old 02-16-2014, 04:48 PM   #78
Rivet Master
 
Foiled Again's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalweg View Post
There are other reasons to carry a gun than self-defense. Around here we have a problem with people hitting deer with their car. Mainly from tourists driving too fast and not being cognizant of the deer’s presence. Oftentimes they will leave a maimed deer lying on the side of the road. I for one can't bear to see the animal lying there suffering, and once you've had to put a deer down by beating it with a tire iron, you'll wish you had a gun with you.
I did hit a deer without killing it - that had been hit by a vehicle coming in the opposite direction and was propelled into my lane. A local police office arrived about 2 minutes later and refused to use his service revolver to put the deer down because he'd have to file a report for using it.

I'm a woman and haven't been hunting in 40 years, with only one very sharp pocket knife... and basic knowledge of what severing the external carotid artery can do. Officer stood by - didn't volunteer to do the dirty work. It is over 10 years and I still get upset thinking about it.

Not a huge fan of firearms, and wouldn't have pulled one out in front of that expletive deleted officer, but it would have been faster and less disgusting to shoot the deer.

Paula
__________________
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline  
Old 02-16-2014, 05:28 PM   #79
Rivet Master

 
Southwestern , Ohio
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,669
Pardon me if this is considered off-topic, but this post is no more off-topic than the post to which it is responding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Fear is like a virus—it can spread and spread and eventually leads people to arming themselves.
.

Gene seems to have the impression that people arm themselves out of fear. I view it more as a matter of general preparedness. For example, between my home, cabin, cars, tow vehicle, and trailer I probably have a dozen fire extinguishers. Am I especially afraid of fire? No, I just want to be prepared if it should happen. Likewise I carry a spare wheel and tire for my Airstream, plenty of tools, and some spare parts. Have never needed the fire extinguishers or the spare tire, although I have used the tools and spare parts some.

Being reasonably proficient with both rifles and handguns, when shall-issue concealed weapons laws came into existence, I availed myself of them. One more dimension of general preparedness.

Quote:
Have any of the gun owners ever used their guns for self defense or to protect anyone? How did that work out?
Happens all the time. Nearly all the time, where it is clearly a matter of self defense, the incident never goes beyond the local news. I hear about some of them because I subscribe to an armed citizen page on Facebook that links the local news stories in my news feed. Based on that, I would guess that an armed citizen shoots a would-be armed robber/rapist/murderer somewhere in the US a couple of times a week.

But the number of shootings by armed citizens is not really the measure that we should be considering. The first line of defense of any weapons system, from a club to a nuclear missile, is deterrence. Accurate statistics are hard to come by since deterrence of crime by armed citizens is seldom even reported, but studies suggest that for every actual shooting by an armed citizen, many more crimes were aborted when the perpetrator discovered that the potential victim was armed.
__________________
Nuvite-F is offline  
Old 02-16-2014, 05:41 PM   #80
Dazed and Confused
 
Isuzusweet's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,424
As a former RM Commando trained in more than a few ways to ruin someones day, just remember…..a knife doesn't need to be reloaded, or to have a safety released for it to work. It also doesn't run out of ammo.

I know which door you're coming in, I know you probably DON"T have any training at all; your aim will be off due to adrenaline……. and if you haven't pulled the gun yet, and you're less than 18 feet away from me; even if you know I'm coming………..your dead. period. You can't unholster, take the safety off, train and fire the weapon in less time for me to travel 18 feet…….and I've slowed down.

I will win…I will win and you will lose. I don't carry a firearm….I don't need too.

All I need is a Kukri.

Cheers
Tony
__________________
Isuzusweet is offline  
Old 02-16-2014, 05:57 PM   #81
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I did hit a deer without killing it - that had been hit by a vehicle coming in the opposite direction and was propelled into my lane. A local police office arrived about 2 minutes later and refused to use his service revolver to put the deer down because he'd have to file a report for using it.

I'm a woman and haven't been hunting in 40 years, with only one very sharp pocket knife... and basic knowledge of what severing the external carotid artery can do. Officer stood by - didn't volunteer to do the dirty work. It is over 10 years and I still get upset thinking about it.

Not a huge fan of firearms, and wouldn't have pulled one out in front of that expletive deleted officer, but it would have been faster and less disgusting to shoot the deer.

Paula
The game warden hiding behind the bush would have arrested you for poaching.
__________________
Ag&Au is offline  
Old 02-16-2014, 05:59 PM   #82
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
As a former RM Commando trained in more than a few ways to ruin someones day, just remember…..a knife doesn't need to be reloaded, or to have a safety released for it to work. It also doesn't run out of ammo.

I know which door you're coming in, I know you probably DON"T have any training at all; your aim will be off due to adrenaline……. and if you haven't pulled the gun yet, and you're less than 18 feet away from me; even if you know I'm coming………..your dead. period. You can't unholster, take the safety off, train and fire the weapon in less time for me to travel 18 feet…….and I've slowed down.

I will win…I will win and you will lose. I don't carry a firearm….I don't need too.

All I need is a Kukri.

Cheers
Tony
How can you have sweet as part of your user name after that chilling post.?
__________________
Ag&Au is offline  
Old 02-16-2014, 06:21 PM   #83
Dazed and Confused
 
Isuzusweet's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
How can you have sweet as part of your user name after that chilling post.?
Sorry for making you uneasy. I am what I am. An outwardly pretty normal guy with a wife and two kids still in school. I have no beef with anyone and do go out of my way to avoid conflict, even walking away.

I don't believe in civilians carrying handguns or military style weapons with large capacity mags as you are all taught how to shoot, not when to HOLD your fire. I was taught by the best when to shoot and when not too. If an enemy was waliking away from me, even holding a weapon, I wouldn't shoot him if he posed no threat to me, or my mission.

I fought to the code of conduct expected of me as a member of the Royal Marines and as a result I can live with my demons and nightmares.

If we met, you would have no clue to this part of my life as I'm pretty even keeled…….even my wife doesn't know.

Cheers
Tony
__________________
Isuzusweet is offline  
Old 02-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #84
Don't forget your cat nap
 
Ag&Au's Avatar
 
Port Orchard , Washington
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,464
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Sorry for making you uneasy. I am what I am. An outwardly pretty normal guy with a wife and two kids still in school. I have no beef with anyone and do go out of my way to avoid conflict, even walking away.

I don't believe in civilians carrying handguns or military style weapons with large capacity mags as you are all taught how to shoot, not when to HOLD your fire. I was taught by the best when to shoot and when not too. If an enemy was waliking away from me, even holding a weapon, I wouldn't shoot him if he posed no threat to me, or my mission.

I fought to the code of conduct expected of me as a member of the Royal Marines and as a result I can live with my demons and nightmares.

If we met, you would have no clue to this part of my life as I'm pretty even keeled…….even my wife doesn't know.

Cheers
Tony
If you had made me uneasy, my emoticon would have looked like this , not this .

This is not all new to me. I served 5 years in the military with 14 months in Viet Nam.

Perhaps my sense of humor doesn't play well north of the border, or maybe even south of it for that matter.

Ken
__________________

__________________
Ag&Au is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Going North to Canada kswelsh On The Road... 37 08-09-2013 06:53 PM
Carry a Weapon VT Wanderer Airstream Lifestyle 174 05-13-2012 02:17 PM
An Amendment to the WBCCI Constitution Forrest WBCCI Forum 390 04-23-2012 12:11 PM
Guns in Parks easyride Off Topic Forum 72 01-13-2012 02:09 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.