Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #43
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward View Post
I wish the laws were that simple but your post is generally correct.
General statements always have exceptions that can turn around and bite you if you try to apply those generalities to specific cases. Problem is, the US Department of Justice estimates that there are approximately 18,000 law enforcement agencies in the United States, many with overlapping jurisdictions. In any particular location, there could be as many as four levels: Federal, State, County, and Municipal, and possibly multiple agencies at each level.

In the past few months, I've stayed at three different Mississippi State Parks that were posted "No open carry." That's a much more reasonable stance to take, and much more enforceable. But I've also stayed at a Louisiana State Park that was posted "No firearms allowed" despite the fact that it was literally just right across the fence from prime hunting territory and over half the campers were hunters who naturally had guns with them, and quite openly carried them to and from the hunting area every day in flagrant violation of the posted restriction.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:50 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
the US Department of Justice estimates that there are approximately 18,000 law enforcement agencies in the United States, many with overlapping jurisdictions. In any particular location, there could be as many as four levels: Federal, State, County, and Municipal, and possibly multiple agencies at each level.
Yup. There are so many laws at so many levels that we have reached a point where it has to be the case that everyone is in violation of at least one law or one of its related regulations.

40,627 new laws alone went into effect Jan 1, 2010. Hundreds of thousands existed before that and likely, tens of thousands have followed since. Scary when you think that each laws invokes dozens of related regulations. What a system.

Raleigh, NC
Old 02-12-2014, 10:56 AM   #45
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Calgary , Alberta
New member and my first post; perhaps not the best thread to start with on this forum... Don't mean to offend or debate anyone, just want to clarify the situation with regards to firearms in Canada as I'm very active in the tactical and sporting firearms community in the Great White North.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Not me. Which is just as well as we are not allowed up here anyway!

Much as we love traveling in the US and do so all the time, I will say that so much availability and focus on firearms does concern me a bit.

And despite being illegal in Canada, firearms are a growing problem here for sure.
Firearms are not illegal in Canada, just highly regulated. You can't own a firearm for the purpose of self defense unless you get the approval of a provincial CFO (which is so rare as to say it never happens). There are under 100 people with ATC (authorization to carry) permits in Canada.

You can however carry a non-restricted long gun for predator control in the bush. You can also own restricted firearms (pistols, AR-15s, etc.) for target practice and competition or as a collector, but not for self defense. Several US jurisdictions have comparable, if slightly more permissive, firearms laws.

When camping and fishing in the back country we always carry a shotgun with bear bangers and rubber buckshot in addition to bear spray to ward off any overly inquisitive bears. We do not carry firearms to defend against bipedal apes... The potential legal ramifications are not worth the added protection. In my opinion Canadian gun laws are absurd, but any change is unlikely given the fear-mongering in our media.

Just bought a 2014 International Signature 27' FB. I've gleaned a lot of extremely valuable information from this forum and truly appreciate all the efforts members have made to compile this useful database. My partner and I can't wait to get rolling this Spring.

Cheers,

Stephen
Old 02-12-2014, 11:01 AM   #46
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Please keep this thread on track. It is not about government regulation. Here is the OP topic:

Quote:
Do you take them on the road with you? Why? Why not? Do you keep them in your Airstream? TV? Take them into National or State Parks? I've got a long trip coming up and I plan on bringing mine, for those low frequency but high risk situations...
Lynn
Old 02-12-2014, 11:09 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Is mace illegal in Canada? That will usually stop a thief in his tracks. In gun shops around here and mail order you can get pepper spray with tear gas mixed in. If one component does not stop them then the other will. There is also the non lethal option of a Taser gun but I am not sure of the legality of those in Canada. Stay out of places where you are most likely to need a gun. This would be any type of places like bars on Saturday night or shady parts of town. Best not to travel at night if you can help it. Stay on well traveled roads and public places. The best defense is to be aware and alert. If you don't feel safe then leave. Anyone wearing a walkman while walking or jogging are an easy mark for a mugger. Playing on your cell phone in a crowd also makes you an easy mark.

Perry

Perry,

All good advice and pretty much describes what we do - very seldom away from the campground after supper for example and certainly not late in the evening or in any areas that we have a bad feeling about!

So mainly the only slight concern as to our vulnerability in the US with Ontario plates on our TV is stopping overnight at Truck stops etc when we are trying to cover a good distance in the first day or so heading south.

I am pretty sure that Mace, Pepper spray, tasers etc are no permitted in Canada. I guess I bend the rules a little here at least in a feeble attempt at self defense! As you know that stuff is very readily available at US flea markets / swap meets.

I have heard to that wasp sprays are a very effective deterrent. Bought some and keep it in the trailer - it shoots a long way. Only thing I would be concerned about in any contact with some thug with a gun would be if it doesn't completely incapacitate him, then we might be even in a worse situation! Maybe just better to give them what they want!

I'll probably never know what I will do until faced with the situation!

Certainly wouldn't be answering any knock on the AS door late at night in a truck stop car park though!

Having said all that. no point being paranoid, we have used Flying J truckstops fro the lat fifteen years with nary an issue. Hope I haven't jinxed myself now! Never tried a Wally World or a Cracker Barrel. I suppose bad luck could strike equally at any overnight stop of that type.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:15 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Guns-No Comment, Travel With Dogs

Will not discuss concealed carry guns other than to suggest the publication: Gunlaws for the 50 States
Know the laws. "Stay on the road and out of jail."
3 dogs, one 65 lbs one 85 lbs and one 300 lb mad dog killer (ha, ha, ha) me.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:28 PM   #49

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
<<Mode Mode>>

We removed several posts today that were significantly off topic. The staff has repeatedly requested to keep things on topic. We understand "topic drift" but we expect staff requests to be complied with. Let's keep things within reason going forward.

On behalf of the site team.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 02-12-2014, 04:29 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by T1NCAN View Post
Do you take them on the road with you? Why? Why not? Do you keep them in your Airstream? TV? Take them into National or State Parks? I've got a long trip coming up and I plan on bringing mine, for those low frequency but high risk situations...
As a Brit living in Canada I couldn't have a gun when in the US even if I wanted to (I don't, but that's another issue).

For those of you in the US who carry guns for personal protection, how do you feel about not being able to bring them into Canada when you haul your Airstream north of the border? Does not being able to bring a gun stop you coming here? Do you feel sufficiently safe not to be worried without a gun?

I'm not looking for opinions on either country's respective gun laws, by the way, just how you feel about the different situation up here in the Great White North.

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
Old 02-12-2014, 04:45 PM   #51
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
I would not choose to stay at a campground posted "No Firearms". It would not matter if I was carrying or not. It would not matter if I had a gun in the rig or not. That sign may as well say "Unarmed Victims Here"
I think my question is within the scope of the original post. I see lots of moderator warnings, and respect the challenge mods face with this general topic.

Are US campgrounds often posted "No Firearms"? Can you search campground listings or directories by that condition?

So if I did want to stay at a campground so posted (travelling from Canada, usually western states south to Arizona) could I find out beforehand? Or does it depend more on each state?

Jeff
Old 02-12-2014, 04:51 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
just how you feel about the different situation up here in the Great White North.
It is not so easy in the US to travel at will with a firearm either due to many states that violate our Constitutional right to bear arms. Generally I avoid states with restrictive gun laws. Some I avoid absolutely.

We are by no means afraid or uncomfortable traveling unarmed. I just would rather be somewhere that respects and defends a person's rights rather than intent on eliminating them.

Canada has many gorgeous places we want to visit in the Airstream. Not sure what we will do yet. It should not be too difficult to bring a hunting rifle along - but I just do not know yet if it will be worth it.

We will go to Alaska next year but have not decided exactly what to do to get there armed or be armed when there.
Raleigh, NC
Old 02-12-2014, 05:07 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Flagstaff , Arizona
Travel with firearms

You might want to check out handgunllaw.us which has lots of info. A lot of it is about CCW but it gives great links and you can search by state. I'm sure if you are looking to take a long gun you can find that info through this site also. If you plan to go into Canada check with their government since you'll need permits etc. and forget trying to take a handgun into Canada. Also you might want to check the NRA website too. Good luck and have a good trip.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:31 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
I would not choose to stay at a campground posted "No Firearms". It would not matter if I was carrying or not. It would not matter if I had a gun in the rig or not. That sign may as well say "Unarmed Victims Here"
I wish we could know which campers had guns with them so we could camp somewhere else, somewhere safer.

The almost childish slogans and quips used over and over to promote gun purchases as a safety measure in the campground are intended to promote fear and more gun purchases. I believe there's nothing safe or sensible about it, it's going in the wrong direction.

Some folks have to bring guns to the campground and that's the way it is. We know the reasons by now, no matter how unreasonable it sounds. We are on a six month trip covering much of the country. This is not a hunting trip. Our guns are at home and our greatest fear of violence would be the guy next door with one defending whatever he thinks he needs to defend.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 02-12-2014, 06:28 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
Are US campgrounds often posted "No Firearms"? Can you search campground listings or directories by that condition?

You should not have much trouble. I cannot remember staying at one. Fed and state parks are worth a call ahead of time..

I've not used it but there is an Android app called Posted, that highlights business that ban weapons. It is crowd sourced so all of us can add locations.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...id=ryan.posted
Raleigh, NC
Old 02-12-2014, 06:35 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by T1NCAN View Post
Like American Express, I never leave home without a sidearm.
Because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
Besides, it's not the job of the police to protect you.
Warren v. District of Columbia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When in State and National Parks, my wife also carries. She likes to say "I would like to see when every woman knows how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies.". Since, making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

It might be 'low frequency, high risk', but I'd rather have a sidearm and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Get trained. Get a sidearm. Practice regularly. If more sane people were armed, the crazy people would get off fewer shots.

What some folks need to remember is:
There are no good guns.
There are no bad guns.
Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing.
Any gun in the hands of a decent person is no threat to anybody- except bad people.