Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-10-2008, 05:42 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
These high end flashlights - were they found after the fire? Condition? Were they Li-ion batteries (lithium ion)?

Lithium ion batteries - especially rechargable types while being charged - exposed to moisture is a very explosive item. Not the thing I would have laying around. We use them at sea and in several vehicles I operate - ummmm, hear the snap.... crackel.... TIME TO GO.... POP.

Just a thought.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:51 PM   #22
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Fort Meade Md. RV park slot 8!! , Motorsports Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TheBigRedTruck
It did not have any thing with the wiring. Every thing still works in the trailer!!! With all this guessing going on, Its time to put this to bed It was the FLUX CAPACITOR!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flux-capacitor.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	72498   Click image for larger version

Name:	flux_capacitor.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	72499  

Old 12-10-2008, 06:33 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Wow,so sorry. Just glad there were no human or pets injured. Very happy to hear you hav insurance.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:16 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I'm sorry you had this occur. It does look very repairable though.
As a fire investigator AND an Airstream owner, these fires naturally interest me.
What was below the boxlites, and the fire extinguisher? (Closer to the floor)
What is the dark square/rectangle object on the wall to the left of the door in photo #2?
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:57 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
I've been a firefighter for 30 years and from looking at the pictures you have up ,the point of origin for your fire looks to be to be right in the area of the one light box . I am not saying it is the cause but it should be examined very closely for defects. You must have dealt with an adjuster and not an investigator. Insurance companies love subrogation. We have used those lights on our engines for many years without a problem other than normal firefighter destruction but who knows.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:27 PM   #26
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
This is the best pick I can do right now do to the fact I lost all my cameras that where on the the bed and have severe heat damage!! I meet with my home adjuster in the am... If you guys want to see specific pic. of thing's leet me know!!! Thank's for your time, DIMMER
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1703.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	352.7 KB
ID:	72503  
Old 12-11-2008, 09:01 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Wow Dimmer - 1) I'm glad you weren't in the trailer!!! 2) Glad you're ok 3) Were you towing it ON FIRe? 4) Sure looks like it started IN the wall under the window.... (I'm NOT any fire expert though!!!)... wonder too what's wired in there... the doorbell?

Gee.. a new AS for Christmas wouldn't be too bad!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:20 PM   #28
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Yes, I was towing her well she was on fire!!!
Old 12-11-2008, 12:30 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
Everett , Washington
Dimmer, my sympathies... Glad to know you're safe and sound.
HUGS!

Please keep us all posted on how this turns out.
/Lois
WBCCI #4018

Just call us Jean & Bill :-)
HankandLois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Dimmer
Sorry to see this has happened to you. Who would have guessed. Im not a fire expert but it does appear that one of those lites shorted. Hope U are able to determine a cause that might benefit the rest of us.
Best of Luck
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:53 PM   #31
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
I will tell you, I have learned a big lesson In all of this. If you are a full timer like me. You need to keep a running Inventory of every thing you put In your trailer. Just the fact of clothing, I have done 45 loads of laundry. That's not counting the 80+ peaces that I took to the dry cleaner and the 4 bag of things that went to a pro fire restoration cleaner (towels mostly) 30 plus day worth of clothing, towels and 4 sets of bedding adds up fast!!!
Old 12-11-2008, 01:34 PM   #32
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I was looking closely at the photo of where the fire looks like it originated, and have a question, if you know the answer:
Does the fire extinguisher normally hang on the bracket by the door, visible near "ground zero?"
If it does, was it still there when you opened the door?
My thought is, maybe the fire extinguisher fell off its bracket and landed on the flashlight, possibly shorting the battery, which would cause the fire. Fire generally moves up, heat rises and all that, so at least in theory the lowest scorch mark should be closest to point of origin.
It at least is something to look at, although the fire extinguisher could have fallen when the mounting bracket melted from the heat.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
Save those cleaning receipts. You should be able to turn them over to your insurance company. I know it's the least of your worries but I know it does add up.
NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:43 PM   #34
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduroryda View Post
Save those cleaning receipts. You should be able to turn them over to your insurance company. I know it's the least of your worries but I know it does add up.
Our insurance company also pays for loss of use, so save and turn in those receipts as well, along with receipts for any clothes you may need to buy until you get your regular stuff cleaned. The insurance company may also pay you for loss of personal items, depending on your policy, so a list of personal items, along with replacement value, is a must. Depending on policies, you may have replacement value coverage, or actual cash value coverage. If you have replacement value coverage, you will get a check for the depreciated value of your items, and the insurance company will pay the difference between what depreciated value and full replacement value are when you give them receipts showing the replacement cost.
Old 12-11-2008, 02:02 PM   #35
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
Im cool with Ins. If any thing Im over Insured on the home owners with replacement value.. I wish I had done a agreed value on the trailer, Live and learn!!!! Fist you have to know I looked at over 20 trailers drove 1700 miles to look at one just to turn around and go home. The inside was like the day it rolled of the line at JC!!
I will be disassembling the flash lights tonight to have a look at the inside of them. Photo's to come late to night!!!
Old 12-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #36
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Dimmer, leave the flashlights alone until the insurance guys look at them. I'd be curious too, but they will want see things as they are.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:14 PM   #37
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
The Ins. comp. has already had a look at the trailer!!! Im just waiting for the home owner appraiser, she was unable to make it today due to a sick kid.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:28 PM   #38
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIMMER View Post
The Ins. comp. has already had a look at the trailer!!!
Good. Did the insurance guy say anything about causation? I guess you would have told us. Assuming the insurance guy isn't too good at his job (I know that sounds cynical, but it happens all too often) I'd consider having someone else with some objective expertise look at those flashlights and document everything with photos. If the insurance guy's report blames you, you need some expert proof of causation to fight them. Just about everyone who's looked at the photos goes straight to those flashlights and that burn pattern next to them.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:39 PM   #39
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
The Ins. adjuster opened the door looked inside and said, So what do you do with the JEEP!!! They said it was a total loss right from the start. I have had to deal with 3 people already, the adjuster then his boss now someone from the total loss division now!!!!
Old 12-12-2008, 10:03 PM   #40
Vagabond

1973 31' Sovereign
1991 34' Excella
I have added more photos in my gallery. I have been In the trail going thou stuff like I should, It just make me sick to my stomach. Im going to work on it some time Sat. The Ins. adjuster sent me a list to fill out. Two laptops four digital cameras three pairs of cowboy boots three leather coats the list go's on and on!!!