Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2016, 09:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Fire Can or Gas Can

Bought a generator and now I see discussions about the safety of portable gas cans.... So, is it safe to bring along a gas can and where can I stow it??
Thanks
Big Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I put mine in the bed of the pickup truck when I take it. Generally I travel with the generator full and no spare gas. We do not use the generator a lot. If I am going to stay without electricity for a week or so then I go buy a gas can at the time. My Honda 2000 seals up pretty tightly and so far I have not detected a leak.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 11:02 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Gas cans should be carried where they will not vent into an enclosed space, and where they will not chafe against other items (especially if the gas can is plastic) and will not tip over.

The best type of gas can to carry is a Rotopax

because they can be carried upright, laid flat, or any other way you want without worry about spillage or leakage. Red for gasoline, yellow for diesel, blue for water are the standard colors for portable cans. If you use another color, you need to label it for what it contains.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I did not want to deal with carrying gasoline in the trailer or Jeep GC so I went with a US Carb. propane conversion for my Yamaha 2000. So far good decision and no regrets. Benefit of this conversion is that I can still use gasoline if for any reason propane is unavailable.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:18 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
I only have a 25 gal tank in the TV so I carry 2 5 gal cans in the bed of my pickup. There is a cover on the bed. I put them in a corner against the tail gate in case of any leak.
MontyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I used to carry one of those OSHA approved metal cans like you see on construction sites. They kept rusting out or getting dented. I now use a 1 and/or 3 gallon plastic container. I carry the generator and fuel in the bed of my pickup. The size and quantity of cans depends on how long I'll need to run the generator while I'm traveling. I always fill the generator before beginning the trip.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Thick Plastic Container- Insert into 'Milk Crate'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Air View Post
Bought a generator and now I see discussions about the safety of portable gas cans.... So, is it safe to bring along a gas can and where can I stow it??
Thanks
Get the heavy duty 2 to 2.5 gallon plastic container. I believe my water and gasoline containers were purchased at Walmart. The water containers were blue and thin. The red gasoline were thick and heavy. May cost more, but last a long time.

Store in pickup bed with or without topper. Avoid inside a SUV or Trailer at all costs.

The Honda seals the fumes excellently. Turn the cap to OFF and remember to switch it back to ON, when using. Fill with fuel before leaving. If storing for a long period, fill and add fuel conditioner / stabilizer.

Make sure there is a spout for pouring. Make sure there is a flat plastic insert that is removable when pouring and reinstall to seal the opening when tightening the screw cap.

This container fits a half dozen or so heavy plastic 'milk crates' found at Garage Sales over the years. It slips into the crate, tightly and reduces any chance of the crate and fuel container to flip over. (Avoid the tall 'Jerry Can' thin plastic containers used for water hauling. Top heavy and too thin.)

I will tie the milk crate to the left or right side bed where there is a tie down, with a stout rope and snug so it cannot move much.

There is a 2 gallon plastic gasoline container that can be found at western supply shops that I use, myself. Has some safety features that are awkward, at first, but becomes routine after a few trips. It is also RED. Yellow spout with black locking mechanism (press to unlock- embossed on side). Fill to two gallons so not to have space for vapors.

Taking at times a chainsaw, you need secure containers and separate since you need to mix oil with fuel.

Wipe any spills clean and let evaporate after filling. Some people are sloppy in that aspect. Never had a spill. Never had a container flip over. There are 'milk crates' for sale at Lowes/Home Depot, I believe, but are half the weight of the thicker old plastic version.

(This is the long, complete version.)
Old 08-09-2016, 11:42 AM   #8
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Gas cans should be carried where they will not vent into an enclosed space, and where they will not chafe against other items (especially if the gas can is plastic) and will not tip over.
I carry mine inside my TV. I don't think it vents, I don't smell anything. My concerns is "something" happens and I don't know the gas is leaking everywhere. I would prefer to be close to it and make sure I can see it if there is anything that happens to it.

I will check out those cans that is recommended. If anyone wants to donate one to me for Christmas, Hanukkah, Birthday, Because you are a nice guy, thanks in advance. I need the gas version about 5gal.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:57 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum, Big Air!

Carrying any gas container inside a tow vehicle is dangerous IMO, regardless of the quality/design of the can. Even the more expensive metal ones will vent under the right conditions, not to mention that in a roll-over (or accidental tipping of the container), the vehicle could explode from the gas fumes inside.

The cans pictured by Protagonist are designed to fit in racks which can be mounted on the outside of a tow vehicle. Obviously the rear bed of any pickup truck is an option, although a cap on the bed introduces somewhat similar risks, but at least not in the passenger compartment.

The tri-fuel gen conversions to propane eliminate the gasoline altogether, and we have been very happy with ours, similar to Michael's comment.

With the various options available, why would anyone want to endanger themselves and their loved ones by carrying a container of gasoline inside the tow vehicle?

Happy Trails . . .

Peter

PS -- Similar to issues involving hanging bikes etc. off the rear of a trailer, "do it the right way" is the best approach IMO.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:57 PM   #10
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Texas Airstream Harbor , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to beachbouy
Can you convert it to propane? Much safer and cleaner to travel with.
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International 30 w/Goodyear Endurance, Equalizer 1000, pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.42 axle, 8 speed auto WBCCI #6111

beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:04 PM   #11
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
See the US Carburation site: motor snorkel.com. Their info, products, and customer service are really good. I have been pleased with my equipment from them for the last 10 years. No returns.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:30 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Threads about propane conversions FYI:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ay-150492.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...0i-120706.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f287...ng-104363.html

And the Generators etc. sub-forum's list of threads reveals many others related to such conversions:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448/
Old 08-09-2016, 06:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
What about tying it onto the top of the lid on the holding compartment behind the propane tanks. It is outside so vapors dissipate and it is reasonably protected from damage.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:51 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Salado , Texas
A couple of words to the wise: Get the metal, squatty looking, red, no-spill gas cans. They do cost more, but I have seen them slung off of a moving vehicle at 60 mph, do bouncing down the road, and get all bent up in the process, but not a drop leaked.
-Second point: Be careful where you mount a gas can externally if you do. Many folks mount a five-gallon can on the back of a vehicle where a rear-ender will rupture the can, no matter how good the can is. That is a suicide invitation.
-Your best bet is indeed a propane conversion. Our Eddie Bauer even has an external connection near the tongue to facilitate just that.
Loden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:08 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm getting the metal can and keeping it in the truck bed. We just got the cover for the bed- now wondering if it's necessary to vent the bed.
Big Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Ive always carried a small plastic one gallon container in the bed of our pickup, with cover on the pickup. As well, we start out with the gennie full and as others have aid, the little Honda seems to seal quite well.

No issues at all - yet!

The truck bed cover does have opening side windows but we have never opened them.

The plastic gas tank does tend to expand baloon out with internal pressure some if it gets to warm back there, but never seems to have gotten to the point where it vents.

I also carry a 20# propane bottle back there for the BBQ and a whole whack of other gear.

Incidentally, we don't use the gennie that often but I do put inhibitor in the gas and start it up every couple of months. When I do this it can take up to 10-20 pulls to get it started with choke on.

That seems lt compared to other Honda engined stuff I have (snowblower, lawn mower, pressure washer.)

I wonder if that is normal with the Honda 2000 gennie? If we are camping and I am using it regularly it will start on first or second pull.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:27 AM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Brian,

Ditto on the 1 1/2gal plastic.....

10-20?

If I shut off the gas and run 'til stall it usually takes 8-10 to prime & re-start.

LPG can take about the same, especially if I don't purge all the air from the supply line.

Bob
Old 08-14-2016, 07:21 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
We almost bought a pickup with a cap, and intended to use our old Honda 2000 as a gen, but instead got the van and a tri-fuel Yamaha 1000 watt gen from US Carb using propane only.

For the pickup shell, to ventilate possible gas fumes, we had intended to add a couple of these small Atwood SS clam vents on the sidewalls, with a layer of screening sandwiched in. Maybe someone makes a screened version?

On boats, these vents are typically installed on a 45 degree angle +/-, to minimize rain intrusion from above, and water spray intrusion from ahead. The larger versions often have one angled somewhat forward as an intake in a protected area, if a bilge area needs positive air flow. The resulting minimal water intrusion is not seen as an issue, given the benefit of evacuating gas fumes.

https://www.amazon.com/Attwood-Corpo...+for+gas+fumes
Old 08-14-2016, 12:02 PM   #19
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
My 2 cents. Plastic gas containers all caution to open the vent on a regular schedule. When they get hot they balloon, when they get cool they collapse. Get a metal can designed to meet OSHA regulations. Eagle is one brand. They have a removable funnel to help with the pour.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:20 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Montreal , Quebec
I use this model from Justrite

http://www.justritemfg.com/products/...8-metal-hose1/

It meets OSHA and NFPA requirements.

They also have a model that meets D.O.T requirements

http://www.justritemfg.com/products/...ter-roll-bars/

Probably overkill for most of us but who can put a price on safety?
Papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote