Old 08-12-2016, 01:08 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
Thanks for all the ideas. I'm getting the metal can and keeping it in the truck bed. We just got the cover for the bed- now wondering if it's necessary to vent the bed.

Big Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 01:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Ive always carried a small plastic one gallon container in the bed of our pickup, with cover on the pickup. As well, we start out with the gennie full and as others have aid, the little Honda seems to seal quite well.

No issues at all - yet!

The truck bed cover does have opening side windows but we have never opened them.

The plastic gas tank does tend to expand baloon out with internal pressure some if it gets to warm back there, but never seems to have gotten to the point where it vents.

I also carry a 20# propane bottle back there for the BBQ and a whole whack of other gear.

Incidentally, we don't use the gennie that often but I do put inhibitor in the gas and start it up every couple of months. When I do this it can take up to 10-20 pulls to get it started with choke on.

That seems lt compared to other Honda engined stuff I have (snowblower, lawn mower, pressure washer.)

I wonder if that is normal with the Honda 2000 gennie? If we are camping and I am using it regularly it will start on first or second pull.

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:27 AM   #17

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Ditto on the 1 1/2gal plastic.....

If I shut off the gas and run 'til stall it usually takes 8-10 to prime & re-start.

LPG can take about the same, especially if I don't purge all the air from the supply line.

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:21 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
We almost bought a pickup with a cap, and intended to use our old Honda 2000 as a gen, but instead got the van and a tri-fuel Yamaha 1000 watt gen from US Carb using propane only.

For the pickup shell, to ventilate possible gas fumes, we had intended to add a couple of these small Atwood SS clam vents on the sidewalls, with a layer of screening sandwiched in. Maybe someone makes a screened version?

On boats, these vents are typically installed on a 45 degree angle +/-, to minimize rain intrusion from above, and water spray intrusion from ahead. The larger versions often have one angled somewhat forward as an intake in a protected area, if a bilge area needs positive air flow. The resulting minimal water intrusion is not seen as an issue, given the benefit of evacuating gas fumes.
OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:02 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
egg harbor city , South Jersey
My 2 cents. Plastic gas containers all caution to open the vent on a regular schedule. When they get hot they balloon, when they get cool they collapse. Get a metal can designed to meet OSHA regulations. Eagle is one brand. They have a removable funnel to help with the pour.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:20 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member
2016 27' International
Montreal , Quebec
I use this model from Justrite

It meets OSHA and NFPA requirements.

They also have a model that meets D.O.T requirements

Probably overkill for most of us but who can put a price on safety?
Papa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:58 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
They make a 2-gallon model also which is smaller, easier to handle and lighter when full.

OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote