Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2016, 11:38 AM   #1
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Finding the right park.

Just returned from our Spring trip and suspect a better plan was needed.

We are full hook up users, like a family environment, and prefer a view of grass, trees and an organized landscape. We like a cool breeze, water and laughter rather that screams.

So, how do you investigate potential RV parks and chose your nightly stay-cation site? How do you find parks far enough away from train tracks, highways, and similar noise pollution? How do you avoid site pack intrusion? How do you optimize services you use and minimize services that are of no value to you?

How do you do better than this? Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1506.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	588.6 KB
ID:	265007  
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
We just try different parks until we find one we like. If we don't like it we don't go back, if we like it we remember it for future trips. Some parks we've been back to every year, some we would go back but have chosen to try something else, and others we won't go back to because they're not the right fit for us. So far we haven't had to pack up and leave a bad park, but I would if the conditions were bad enough.

I do find that looking at photos of the park are helpful, not the photos that the park posts on their own website, but visitor photo's. Just type on the park name in google images and see what there is to see. The park will show only it's best sites from the best angles, but visitors photo's will usually be more honest. I saw a park recently that looked nice but the photos online showed a huge bonfire with drunk college kids funneling beers, not for us!

Keep trying, half the adventure is visiting new places and experiencing new locations!
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:55 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Temple , Texas
I check google earth then look for park reviews and photos
RamRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:03 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Metuchen , New Jersey
I like using the Allstays Camp & RV app. Use the filters to show only 4 stars and higher campgrounds. After that, post reviews of your experiences through the app to help others such as yourself avoid or visit places.
GenXair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
We use www.campgroundreviews.com all the time on the road.

I also try and submit my reviews whenever possible. We find it is pretty accurate.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 12:15 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Washington , Utah
In addition to the many other good suggestions above, I read the reviews on Trip Advisor.

Ron
RonaldC303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:52 PM   #7
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
We have looked at the online reviews and they often help; Thanks to those of you who post your experience.

The Google maps help as well, but when on the road, WiFi is a bit iffy and it is not always possible to do a detailed investigation.

We have not tried the Allstays App. Are those ratings done by user review or the company that runs the service?

Our standard practice is to identify a park that looks good on paper and check it out. If it looks acceptable we'll try it for a night and stay another day if we like it.

Appreciate you offering your experience. Pat
Old 06-23-2016, 03:16 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Metuchen , New Jersey
The reviews are an aggregate of user review sites, i.e trip advisor, rvparksviews, etc... This is a great app that pays for itself with constant free updates.

Before anyone ask, I have no affiliation with the company that makes this app.
GenXair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Another option...

https://www.campendium.com/
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:02 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
So much for boon-docking. LOL

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 12:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
What's wrong with boondocking occasionally? Sometimes it is the only or best option.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 05:39 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Blue Ridge , Georgia
Goggle RV parks at the town where we want to stop then check the reviews. Its worked well for us traveling in a 40ft MH and now in our AS.
Gleverett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:56 PM   #13
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Boondocking? It was 100F through OR & WA. Not good without power.

Then there is the Happy Wife = Happy Life = FHU acquisition.

Hence the good park investigation plan development objective.

Thank you for your help. Pat
Old 06-24-2016, 08:34 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Wichita Falls , Texas
cool, rvpark reviews shows 4 stars for my park, not bad for a 50 year old park
PeterKV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 10:36 PM   #15
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
We find older parks can be comfortable. The heavy traffic often has moved to a bypass Interstate route. The park has grown trees and often a bit of renovation has spruced things up after the original plant was paid off or sold. The key is to find one that is not near the trains or maybe is in a location where train horns are not required. Also helps when management has made an effort to maintain the plant. But then, we don't swim and are more interested in a level and quiet site than fancy resort features.

Travel safe. Pat
Old 06-25-2016, 06:00 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
East central , Illinois
I agree with PKI. Quiet, trees, not crowded on top of each other, etc. have started a list after seeing campsites from the thread "what do you see outside your AS door today".
GinaNBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 06:39 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
You might try branching out from full-hookups to water/electric like we find in our state parks here in Texas. The sites are large and wonderful, and the "amenities" are provided by Mother Nature herself. Even in my old Airstream with no gray tank (and a large blue boy alongside), I can camp comfortably there for a day or so before I have to dump.

That one difference in hookups opens up many state and COE campgrounds that are in quiet, wonderful places. Sure, the cable TV and WiFi may be missing, but that's what I go camping to get away from.

When you are packed into an RV park like a sardine alongside other rigs, just remember that those strangers are farther away than they would be in a motel room.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:29 AM   #18
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
You might try branching out from full-hookups to water/electric like we find in our state parks here in Texas. -- snip --
When you are packed into an RV park like a sardine alongside other rigs, just remember that those strangers are farther away than they would be in a motel room.
Yes, the elect/water solution works in many parks. The reduction in cost makes some KOAs viable. Unfortunately those sites can double as tent sites and may be smaller. We have had it both ways. The state park distributed site solution is good if that is the way it works. We find the dry camps are distributed and the water/elect are packed in close. The two sections of the San Simeon Park are a good example. We also have an issue with CA state parks in that they are as pricey as commercial parks. Our first Delta camp was $42 for water and elect service. The price includes an $8 charge for reservations, which we do not use, and a $2 discount for being seniors. The sites were not very distributed. What does help is if the camp is not crowded, the empty sites provide separation. Good managers separate folks by assigning every other site until they have more business and need to fill in. Really good layouts have the sites configured on the diagonal, which opens up the space a bit. It's really nice when the big SOBs are on your back side and the little Mercedes RVs are on the front side. That is, until you have a noisy road or playground that needs blocking with the Giant SOB.

Thanks for bringing up the partial service solution. Good to keep in the park hunt inventory. Pat
Old 06-25-2016, 11:49 AM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
We are full hook up users, like a family environment, and prefer a view of grass, trees and an organized landscape. We like a cool breeze, water and laughter rather that screams.

So, how do you investigate potential RV parks and chose your nightly stay-cation site? How do you find parks far enough away from train tracks, highways, and similar noise pollution? How do you avoid site pack intrusion? How do you optimize services you use and minimize services that are of no value to you?
Corps of Engineers campgrounds are all located alongside a lake/reservoir or river, and are typically half the price of commercial campgrounds in the same area. And if you qualify for the National Park Service Senior Pass (formerly Golden Age Passport) or Access Pass, then camping is half of that, with no entrance or day use fees.

CoE Campsites tend to be spread out within the campground, with green space between you and your neighbors. Campsite density seldom exceeds four campsites per acre.

Most CoE campgrounds are water/electric with a dump station conveniently located on the way out of the campground. Some only have boondocking. I haven't been to any CoE campgrounds that have sewer hookups, but I have been to one that allowed you to direct-discharge gray water onto the ground, and in fact they insisted on it (they were experiencing a drought at the time, and direct-discharge of gray water is one way to irrigate).

There are CoE campgrounds in 44 of the 50 states, and you can find every one of them here:
http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/visitors/visitors.cfm
The website allows you to search by state, and by the type of activity such as camping (duh, select this to eliminate day-use-only recreation areas), hiking, boating, swimming, etc.

The site also lists State Parks and commercial campgrounds that are located alongside a Corps of Engineers waterway, so there's some crossover.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:23 PM   #20
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Corps of Engineers campgrounds -- snip -- you can find every one of them here:
http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/visitors/visitors.cfm -- snip --
The site also lists State Parks and commercial campgrounds that are located alongside a Corps of Engineers waterway, so there's some crossover.
Pro - thanks for the suggestion. You have posted it before and I have made a cursory investigation, but was never quite as motivated as now. Will give it another look. Really sounds like a solution. Appreciate the input. Pat

After an initial failure to access the site, was able to open it. Yes, there are some campgrounds available in our travel areas. Worth considering when planning the trip. Thanks a bunch. This is a resource that we were not considering. Pat