Old 12-25-2014, 03:43 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Fwiw,,, sometimes the rude or oblivious driver is passing, sometimes he is being passed. Just the way it is.

Anyway, I have noticed left lane drivers being prolific in Idaho, and with Texas plated vehicles, although the practice seems to be abating lately among Texas plated vehicles.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 04:19 PM   #58
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Fwiw,,, sometimes the rude or oblivious driver is passing, sometimes he is being passed. Just the way it is.

Anyway, I have noticed left lane drivers being prolific in Idaho, and with Texas plated vehicles, although the practice seems to be abating lately among Texas plated vehicles.

Maybe they're moving to Idaho.

Ken

Old 12-25-2014, 04:29 PM   #59
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
On that note the continuing worst mistake by RVers is to pass a big truck and then re enter the right lane too soon. As with all car drivers mistakenly under the impression the tailgater behind them has ROW. Stupidity abounds.

from the AIRphone
I suspect part of this bad habit on the part of RV's and other non-pro drivers is that it is very common to see 18 wheelers do exactly that. Many truckers, in fact around the Kansas City metro area, I would say "most" truckers not only follow other vehicles too closely, but also cut right in front of them after passing. I think people have become numbed to the fact that traffic usually runs very ( too ) close both ahead and behind.

Last saturday I made a round trip run KC - Oklahoma City -KC to pick up a couple of horses. It was, as always the usual pattern of other drivers not only following me too closely, and also cutting in front of me as soon as they cleared my left front fender. I thought to myself, once again, that all drivers, to get ANY level of license should have to qualify by driving something at least like my one ton dually pulling a 30+ foot gooseneck. It might give them a better perspective of what is smart and safe out there on the roads.

The real deal bottom line for those of us who have been driving since the 1960's is that over the decades the number of vehicles on american roads has gone up several hundred percent, while the number of paved miles of roadways has only gone up fraction of that. More crowded, period.

Be safe out there. Use common sense and courtesy. And be prepared that other road users will do none of these things.
Old 12-25-2014, 04:41 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
If people actually knew the percentage of truck drivers currently on the road who had passed through the turnstiles of truck driving schools a year or less ago.... Many would look at many professional drivers differently.

Old 12-25-2014, 05:04 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:

One thing I will caution four wheelers about is that I am not alone in the following: when I put on the turn signal in the Peterbilt to change lanes I am not asking permission. It means I am coming over NOW.
Like the a-hole trucker that passed me and my family doing 80 mph east on I-40 in our car on our way to family for Christmas merged right back into us forcing me to into the shoulder to avoid getting ripped into pieces. Wasn't even close. The rear of the cab hadn't even passed before he crossed back into us. Laying on the horn did nothing. Slamming on the brakes and moving into the right shoulder did save us. They rear of his trailer barely missed hitting our car and sending it flipping off down the hillside.

This said, most all truckers are responsible and have a tough job. Still, a 18 wheeler is more than a deadly weapon.

And what's with those gladiator chariot styled scythed wheels?
Old 12-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I would have to say, the vast majority of truckers on the road are very professional, and do a good job.

With the truck and trailer we have, it's frequently most practical to stop for fuel at the larger truck stops, especially on the Interstate routes. And, some of the hygiene, professionalism, or lack there of, and attitudes these people display, almost makes me afraid to get on the road with them sometimes. I'm glad they drive better than they present themselves. Understand they may be several days on the road, but still.....
Old 12-25-2014, 08:51 PM   #63
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Well, when you see a "professional" driver who is having 'issues', perhaps it is time to 'drop a dime' on him/her... I have... and the police were very helpful... I don't use dramatic things.. just 'This guy/gal just ran us off the road... we are OK.. and following at a safe distance.. Here is the direction/road and license number. Her is my info. Call me back as I am driving and don't want to keep talking on the phone while driving."...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 03:15 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
RANCHERS provide Western Entertainment on the Road

When you see the 18 wheelers that are "cattle haulers"... nobody is tailgating them. Try it some time... and tell us about it. Did the car wash help any?

Also... tailgating a horse trailer with 1 to 6 horses. It takes no common sense to give them plenty of room as well!

... and if you do not think that the driver hauling livestock from pigs, sheep, horses, cattle or chickens does not look in his side mirrors for "blessing those who like to follow the draft behind a truck"... you need to talk to me.

Sometimes a passing lane is never wide enough.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:26 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Finding that PERFECT LANE for Traveling...

Me and my pop hauled a semi load of cattle once from Kansas to southeast Arizona. (Missing my pop right now)

I made a deal with my dad that I would put them on the trailer, and haul them, but I would not unload them....

So it ended up that my brother in law had to empty the trailer...

To this day I don't know if he knows why I left the dirty work to him. but to this day I only feel a little guilty....

Man, he was a sight when he got those forty some odd cows off that trailer... lol

Hauling that much livestock is a weird thing, you can feel their weight shift when braking and cornering. They are unlike hauling anything.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:40 AM   #66
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas

It's a brave DOT inspector that'll crawl under a livestock trailer for a comprehensive inspection.

Years back heard of a lady inspector taking guff from the men on the job as well as drivers under their breath for maybe not being brave, much less tough.

She singled out a hauler one day. In Oklahoma. In the summer. Pigs. She was a legend after that.

from the AIRphone
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:02 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Today along the Front Range of Colorado and north to Canada... the area East of the Rocky Mountains and towards the Prairie... there are NO LANES due to packed snow, yet traffic is just short of the speed limit.

I could not tell if they were sliding at 70mph, or actually applying the gas peddle.

Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and Canada plates heading SOUTH.

Texas and Oklahoma plates heading NORTH. ...ask yourself who are hardier in this sub 10 degree weather?
Old 12-29-2014, 12:12 PM   #68
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
It's a brave DOT inspector that'll crawl under a livestock trailer for a comprehensive inspection.

Years back heard of a lady inspector taking guff from the men on the job as well as drivers under their breath for maybe not being brave, much less tough.

She singled out a hauler one day. In Oklahoma. In the summer. Pigs. She was a legend after that.

from the AIRphone
Hum, I would have wagered that it would never happen when the truck was loaded.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:16 PM   #69
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Today along the Front Range of Colorado and north to Canada... the area East of the Rocky Mountains and towards the Prairie... there are NO LANES due to packed snow, yet traffic is just short of the speed limit.

I could not tell if they were sliding at 70mph, or actually applying the gas peddle.

Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and Canada plates heading SOUTH.

Texas and Oklahoma plates heading NORTH. ...ask yourself who are hardier in this sub 10 degree weather?
The Texans and Oklahomans are probably just hungry and going North to work in the oil fields in Montana and the Dakotas.

Don't know about the Okies, but the Texans are not really brave when it comes to snow, they just don't know any better. However, I'll take a fresh layer of snow on the highway any day over a sheet of ice. We actually get that down here every few years, and it is deadly.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:28 PM   #70
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas

The real winter Texans are going north for snow skiing.

More likely the oil field workers are heading home for holiday. Fourth and First quarter are always slow as drilling budgets ramp down and then activity takes awhile to build momentum.

The rest are those kids of the depopulated Great Plains who came to Texas for any kind of career.

from the AIRphone

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote