Old 12-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #15
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Best Not To Be In A Hurry

Being retired has its advantages - one being that we aren't in as much of a hurry as we used to be. That's key. With regard to city trying, we try and do the following:

o avoid rush hour in the first place
o avoid lane changes - stay in the right lane or follow the 18 wheelers
o use iPhone GPS to position for the next turn well in advance

There is no perfect lane; it's more about following YOUR general guidelines with safety in mind.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Always the right lane until you get into an area where there are 3 or more lanes of travel, then "the lane of least resistance"- mostly the middle lane. The right lane will be vehicles entering and exiting, therefore continually slowing dwon and speeding up. The left lane will be people speeding or wanting to go faster than I want to go. I choose the middle lane if there are 3 or 5 lanes, but "middle right" (2nd from the right) if there are 4 lanes. Sometimes in areas where there is road construction there will be signs that say "trucks or vehicles pulling trailer use x lane" or "vehicles over 6 wheels use x lane". That makes up your mind for you.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 04:41 PM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Finding that PERFECT LANE for Traveling...

I wouldn't travel the right lane in a metro area in an eighteen wheeler or with the Silver Streak. That lane is only for entrance, exit and genuinely slow traffic. And it is the right lane that can disappear out from under you. Just try IH10 West through Houston. Right lane disappears about four times.

I'll take lane two any day. I am not slow traffic, but "thru traffic". Big difference and it has little to do with travel speed.

Ones chances of an accident are higher in the outside lane. ROW won't matter. And continued use of brakes, horn and over concentration on mirrors make it a no go for me.

That said I prefer to be in that lane for exit about a mile out. Turn signal on about 1/3 mile out and easing down to around 45-mph ONTO the ramp and then short braking to meet ramp speed and then ACCELERATING up to speed on side road.

One needs to have any slack in hitch ONLY on the ramp -- a protected area -- and then eliminate it by using throttle to get onto that frontage road.

Use the mirrors to come down to 45 on the outside lane. Short braking on ramp. Re-accelerate to enter new road.

Those yellow ramp speed limit signs are not suggestions. Not when towing.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 04:49 PM   #18
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I like to grin in the granny lane. My personal fastest was speed was 173 mph. You think about the darndest things when you are up there. Lug nuts, wheel bearings, tire tread, driveshaft balance etc. Also, the less I have to change lanes, the less likely I am to make a mistake. It doesn't mater about Bullwinkle mirrors, or that cool rear view camera. Low and slower works for me. Plus it gives everbody a better look at "the toaster".
Old 12-21-2014, 05:47 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Clara , Utah
Perfect Lane

Good piece and agreed, however Las Vegas during peak traffic or when, Northbound there is a NASCAR event is worse than 1-405 in So Cal or in Bellevue, WA.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:55 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Following the Trucks is my MO also. Otherwise, the right lane.
When driving in California, the speed limit when pulling any trailer is 55 mph. This may be a rule followed only by those who don't live in CA, however.
Did you know that if two vehicles drive 11 miles, one at 77 mph and the other at 59 mph, the vehicle driving 77 mph will arrive about 2 1/2 minutes sooner. Tell that to the young lady in the Honda Civic flashing her I.Q. (cell phone in the other hand) as she passes you. Dave
Old 12-21-2014, 10:10 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Yes, they get angry if YOU don't adjust your speed to make a spot for them, and then have the nerve to give you the middle finger salute.

I thought it was just me.
Interesting. I just took a written test for a bus drivers' licence here in Ontario and of the sixty questions, I only had two wrong. One of them was about merging on the Highway and I ticked the box saying that it was merging traffic that had to adjust its speed. The correct answer, and this was a new one on me, was that both those entering and those already on the highway had to adjust their speed. I'm happy to stand corrected but I had always assumed that my answer was the correct one; you live and learn, eh?

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:14 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
On the issue of the correct, or most comfortable, lane, having done most of my driving in the UK where all highway exits are on the left (driving on the left of course), my default in North America is always the right-hand, granny lane. The only exception has been going through big cities where there's so much stuff entering or leaving the highway that I'll move one towards the left. I'll endorse the comment about GPS; those advanced warnings of lane changes are soooo useful.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:18 PM   #23
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
California is one of the few states left with lane control for trailers. You are supposed to be in the far right hand lane unless passing, and you are supposed to be going something like 7 mph faster than the vehicle you are passing. This seems to be widely ignored, and most likely should be while passing through places like Santa Barbara where the average merging speed seems to be about 12 mph. This, coupled with the also widely ignored, 55 mph speed limit for trailers makes towing in the Golden State less than a relaxing experience.

CA-7
Toldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:05 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUKToad View Post
Interesting. I just took a written test for a bus drivers' licence here in Ontario and of the sixty questions, I only had two wrong. One of them was about merging on the Highway and I ticked the box saying that it was merging traffic that had to adjust its speed. The correct answer, and this was a new one on me, was that both those entering and those already on the highway had to adjust their speed. I'm happy to stand corrected but I had always assumed that my answer was the correct one; you live and learn, eh?
Obviously things must be a bit different in Ontario, but this is copy and paste from the Texas Driver's handbook:

Driving on Multiple-Lane Roads
On a road divided into three or more lanes providing for one-way movement, a vehicle entering a lane of traffic from the right must yield the right-of-way to a vehicle entering the same lane of traffic from the left.

Enter or Leave Controlled-Access Highway
The driver proceeding on a frontage road of a controlled-access highway must yield the right-of-way to a vehicle:
• Entering or about to enter the road from the highway; and
• Leaving or about to leave the road to enter the highway.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:23 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by demijac View Post
Being retired has its advantages - one being that we aren't in as much of a hurry as we used to be. That's key. With regard to city trying, we try and do the following:

There is no perfect lane; it's more about following YOUR general guidelines with safety in mind.
A-a-a-men, A-a-a-men, Amen, Amen!
Old 12-22-2014, 09:14 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
The Beautiful Mountains Of Southwest , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00merang View Post
I trust the Duke was being facetious...cause there is no excuse for a TV pulling a trailer staying in the left lane. Despite these comments just reflecting their owner's own preferences...it all boils down to using common sense and adjusting to current traffic conditions....personal preferences aside. Common sense and caution should rule the day. Merry Christmas, and a SAFE 2015. jon
No, not really. Obviously I don't drive in the left lane all the time. The left lane is for passing only! I hate to run up on someone just driving in the left lane, holding everything up. Here in VA we have signs that say, "slower traffic keep right!" I only drive in the left lane when passing, which I find is a great deal of the time with todays traffic. I have the most powerful truck sold for a reason, I like to go up hills as fast as I go down hills. I believe in having a more than capable TV, I don't like the "tail wagging the dog!" I have 38 years of towing experience in 45 of the lower 48 states, without ever having a accident! I have had some "close ones" due to other peoples ignorance but untill I have my first accident, I will maintain that all accidents are avoidable!
Old 12-22-2014, 09:56 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by demijac View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
A-a-a-men, A-a-a-men, Amen, Amen!

Hi, then stay home; Some places have 24/7 rush hour. I go, when I go, and deal with whatever is out there.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:33 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Obviously things must be a bit different in Ontario, but this is copy and paste from the Texas Driver's handbook:

Driving on Multiple-Lane Roads
On a road divided into three or more lanes providing for one-way movement, a vehicle entering a lane of traffic from the right must yield the right-of-way to a vehicle entering the same lane of traffic from the left.

Enter or Leave Controlled-Access Highway
The driver proceeding on a frontage road of a controlled-access highway must yield the right-of-way to a vehicle:
• Entering or about to enter the road from the highway; and
• Leaving or about to leave the road to enter the highway.
I'd imagine that the Ontario idea is that you don't force people to slow down too much as they try to join the faster moving traffic on the highway; slack off or speed up a little to allow a vehicle to join the flow is probably quite reasonable and sensible driving.