Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Mahomet , Illinois
finding good Airstream service on the road

Is there a thread discussing how to find airstream service at reliable places when far from home?
wtrclrptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
What makes Airstream unique is its construction and skin - but beyond that all of its components are the same ones you will find in most of the trailers on the road. Unless you are needing work on the body itself you should have no trouble getting service from any reputable dealer.

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
all of its components are the same ones you will find in most of the trailers on the road. Unless you are needing work on the body itself you should have no trouble getting service from any reputable dealer.
If they are scratching the stubble, eyeing your wife and, saying,"I never worked on one of these Air Streams before", bail out. A lot of mechanics do not like AS repairs because of the the tight quarters. This forum is prolly the best to contact, if you have problems anywhere in the country.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
A directory of local shops who specialize in Airstreams would be a great thing to have. Wonder if one is compiled anywhere.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
A directory of local shops who specialize in Airstreams would be a great thing to have. Wonder if one is compiled anywhere.
Ten years ago, I could have given everyone a list of AS service shops we'd dealt with in the western states. Sad to say, they are all out of business.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
If they are scratching the stubble, eyeing your wife and, saying,"I never worked on one of these Air Streams before", bail out. A lot of mechanics do not like AS repairs because of the the tight quarters. This forum is prolly the best to contact, if you have problems anywhere in the country.
LOL - you're right - I've learned to not take my wife with me when the trailer needs some kind of service ...... simply too much of a distraction .....

.... but truthfully - I have never had any issues that grew from typical service or repair work carried by non-Airstream dealers - for us the nearest Airstream dealer is a 10 hour drive away and in another country - so 100% of any routine or emergency servicing I've had to have done has been by SOB dealerships - at first I was kinda nervous - but over the life of our trailer (so far) I've never run into problems of any kind with SOB servicing of typical appliances or equipment that is common to all trailers - so far this has included annual servicing or emergency repair of the running gear, fridge, hot water tank, oven, jack, fantastic fan and propane system. In the first two years I did take the trailer to Jackson Centre to address warranty issues associated with the skin (filiform corrosion around the emblem and replacement of the belt).

Thanks,

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
I don't have my current WBCCI Directory in front of me right now to say for certain, but I know for sure the previous years Directory listed all the AS dealers & certified repair shops, state by state. It includes annual updates on additions/deletions.

You could probably get a copy of the list w/o joining the club, but it's another good reason to join.

John
WBCCI #268 Palmetto State Airstream Club 22
Region 3 Past President....come with us, you will like it.

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Are you kind?..... Uncle John's Band
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I'm a member - just need to dig it out of the bookcase. Thanks for the reminder.

That's definitely a help, but I know that the very good shop I use - run by a former AS dealer service manager - isn't a certified AS shop. Probably are quite a few good shops and restoration facilities that don't qualify for that listing.

Tom
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
I have found that RV parks are a great resource for RV repair recommendations when travelling. For example:
Two years ago, we were returning from Grand Tetons NP going SE on US 287. When we started down the east side of Togwotee Pass, I discovered that the trailer brakes were not operating. We pulled off at a wide spot. As much troubleshooting as I was comfortable doing there did not find the problem. We then started down the highway slowly and carefully. The next town was Dubois, WY. As I drove, my wife used the Good Sam campground directory to get the number for the KOA there. She called and they gave her directions to the local gas station/garage that they always recommend to their campers. We parked across a side street and walked over to the garage. When I explained our problem, he pulled one of his mechanics off another job, and asked him to help us. Between the two of us we were able to discover a loose connection where the umbilical cord terminates under the front couch.
When we finished up I asked how much we owed him. He said, "There is a jar on the counter in the gas station. Just put whatever it's worth to you in that jar". Things like that make me appreciate small town America.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
When we finished up I asked how much we owed him. He said, "There is a jar on the counter in the gas station. Just put whatever it's worth to you in that jar". Things like that make me appreciate small town America.:
What a great story!
Old 07-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Mahomet , Illinois
Thanks to all of you who replied. I'll try to find out if the Wally Byam directory is available to non members. And checking on this forum for specific geographic help seems a very good idea when needed.
I've had both terrible and excellent luck finding help and service around the country and would be glad to know of good sources should a need arise. I am not too sure about emergency road service providers either, since I've not needed that. Any of you have knowledge of those?
Skeezyx46
wtrclrptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #12
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
skeezy, I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but the main airstream site at www.airstream.com would give you the names & info on AS dealers on your route. These would have service departments. The mother site also has a service hot-line by either phone or e-mail. We've used the AS service departments at dealerships in Spokane, Denver, and London, Ontario with good results. Other than that, for minor things we just use our local RV dealer/servicer with no problems. But then, the owner is our neighbour!
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Dubois,Wy ! What a beautiful area. One of our top Favorite .Have camped there, and have searched the area for future trips. East of Tetons without the crowds. Great Story.Gives you Hope !
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote