Old 07-22-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Bellevue , Nebraska
Filling certain prescriptions on the road.

We are about to embark on our dream trips that will extend the period of time gone from our home base. Problem is that certain drugs (depression) are considered "controlled" substances and cannot be prescribed by a doctor in another state, or in our case only 1 time a year. The 2nd issue is that my wife's insurance plan allows 30 days at a time. Maybe they have already figured out that's about all I can afford at 1 time. So not to be outdone Medicare will only allow certain drugs to be filled 30 days at a time. We thought that using someone like Walmart would solve the problem for filling rx's away from home but it is the States restriction on the doctor that will only allow him to write 1 rx per year on an away from home situation. Pretty hard to be in So. Carolina wanted to head to say Alabama and then over to Texas and have to go home every 30 days just to get this rx. So my question is, what do you do? My drugs are 90 days for almost everything, My wife is stuck on 30 day re-fills. Your input will be read with great interest. Thank you in advance. Ron

Old 07-22-2014, 11:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmmm.

We for years have had routine prescriptions filled while traveling. We like Walgreens but WalMart would serve the same purpose.

Have never heard of a state restriction such as you cite, might want to look at that on paper, to see exactly what it says. Could be your doctor is mistaken.

I see my primary care physician every 6 months, he writes prescriptions refillable for that time period. My hematologist I see annually, who writes prescriptions refillable for a year and monitors monthly bloodwork done at Quest.

My husband had to see his doctor every 3 months, to get his prescriptions, just a difference in doctors. When he knew we would be gone at the time of the next scheduled office visit, the pharmacy got an override for adequate medication to cover the absence.

Might also have a chat with the Pharmacist at your drugstore, see what he says and what others in similar situations are doing.

We have found our Pharmacists to be a wealth of information and assistance.

There always seems to be some struggle for balance between billable office visits and common sense applied to persons who have the privilege to travel.

So far, we have been able to get what we needed, altho sometimes the Pharmacist has to get involved with the Doctor.

Good luck,

Maggie

Old 07-22-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Greensboro , North Carolina
Controlled substances are generally written as 30 day Rx's due to risk of abuse. You may need to notify your insurance so they can let you know how you can manage this prescription while traveling. They can't restrict your ability to fill it, you may just need to get their specific permission to do so.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:55 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
BTW...see you are from the Omaha area! My son was born there almost 21 years ago! Sometimes really miss the Midwest! Best wishes on your travels!
Sidney
Old 07-22-2014, 12:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASmojo721 View Post
Controlled substances are generally written as 30 day Rx's due to risk of abuse. You may need to notify your insurance so they can let you know how you can manage this prescription while traveling. They can't restrict your ability to fill it, you may just need to get their specific permission to do so.
Good info, also letting your doctor know how long you will be gone for. He might be able to issue a new one on a call from you or the Pharmacist. If we have something that needs a doctor refill, we call it in to the pharmacy and they handle it with the Docs.

Maggie
Old 07-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Unfortunately, politicians and their answers to problems pretty much suck.

I think your back is up against the wall, there are no remedies for the individual against bad politically inspired law.

I have a family member who has a controlled prescription for back pain. It is surely a pain in the ass and it makes travel very difficult.

I don't think that they will fill more than 30 days at a time. As usual, the law abiding citizen has to pay for the acts of criminals.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I would think you would want to try to avoid finding a doctor in another state to obtain prescriptions for controlled substances.

This could result in serious trouble and hassle for you, more questions than you can imagine.

Between your doctor and your pharmacy, should be a way to get you what you need.

Can you tell......have been 7 years and 47 states in our Interstate.....always on prescription medication, some of them cpntrolled drugs.

Maggie
Old 07-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Spokane , Washington
For the "super" controlled drugs that require physical paper prescriptions monthly you could try 2 things: 1) see if your DR would write some up post-dated, if you use a Walgreens or some nationwide pharmacy, they should be able to see you in the system or at least call their other store to make sure the timing is correct, etc. Typically, we can get 3 months of scripts all at once and then just fill them at the 30-day mark. 2) see if you could coordinate with your doctor to mail you the scripts on the road so you could fill them, again, at a nationwide pharmacy.

Occasionally we have gotten them filled for a 90-day supply prior to travel, but I believe there are a bunch of hoops to jump through, as well as our flight itinerary, etc. was needed to prove we would be out of the area. Doesn't really work with trailering.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:51 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
I believe your best course of action is to contact your prescription benefits company. (like MedCo, CVS Caremark, Allscripts etc.) They should be able to tell you their requirements for refilling controlled substances.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 07-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
3 month prescriptions are common even with controlled substances but Medicare might have additional restrictions.

Perry
Old 07-22-2014, 01:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Boy i am glad this topic has been raised. Ive been wondering what im going to do when we hit the road for more extended periods of time. I havent talked to my doctor yet or my insurance carrier. Its kinda scary. I have talked to one fellow RVer who sees the same pain management doc as i do. He travels to a spot in Florida during the winters and stays for 3 months at a time. He was able to get his paper scrip mailed to him while there.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
On the prescription I mentioned above, the doctor MUST sign a new prescription every thirty days.

The hard copy must be picked up from the doctors office and be hand delivered to the pharmacy each month.

We are an incredibly stupid nation.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Its been my experience with the meds that i take, that 30 days is max they prescribe at a time. I dont know if thats per the law, per the doctor, or the insurance carrier. Ill be finding out soon.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thats exactly my experience also J.Morgan.