Old 07-22-2014, 01:17 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I get my prescriptions 6 or 12 months at a time, depending on the doctor, and they all go into the system at my home pharmacy.

When I call in a refill, anywhere, that pharmacy has the prescription sent to them by the home pharmacy, and it is then filled.

Works very well, may just take a bit of maneuvering. They can tell where the prescription is located by the numbers you give them.

I always try to give the on the road pharmacy a couple of days before I need to pick up, in case they don't have your medication it can take a day or two to get it from another pharmacy. Never just zip thru the drivethru and expect to be done in 10 minutes.

Believe me, we about have this down to a fine art. It is eminently doable.

As with many things.....just begin, the pieces will lay themselves out, then follow the breadcrumbs.

Maggie

Old 07-22-2014, 01:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thank you for chiming in Maggie, that is sure reassuring to hear.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:29 PM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
This is a subject near and dear to my heart, since an unscheduled out-of-state trip due to a hurricane evacuation is entirely possible in any given year.

Schedule II or higher controlled substances (mostly but not exclusively narcotics) are problematical. These are prescribed with "No Refills" meaning that you need a new prescription every time. That's a legal requirement that is not at the discretion of either the prescriber or the insurance carrier. Thank the DEA for that one.

There is a way around that, and you should discuss the matter with your prescribing physician. Have him issue three prescriptions at the same time. All three will have the same date of issue (it's illegal to post-date prescriptions) but the second and third prescriptions would also have a "Do not fill before _____" date on the prescription so you could still only get one month's worth at a time. Each would be on a separate page of a tamper-resistant prescription pad with the prescriber's letterhead preprinted on it.

It also helps to get your prescriptions filled through a national pharmacy chain (I used to use Walmart; now I use Walgreens) so that the pharmacist where you are can contact the pharmacy in your domicile city.

And of course you'd probably have to show identification to get the prescriptions filled; twenty-five states presently have laws requiring positive identification before filling a Schedule II or higher prescription, even if you have it filled by a pharmacist in your hometown, let alone out-of-town or out-of-state.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:29 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Prescriptions on the road are not without their occasional hassles, but for the most part it is a minor annoyance at most.

We have found pharmacists, pharmacists, pharmacists know best how things work. Talk to your hometown guy, and he will help you.

Maggie
Old 07-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #19

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Prescriptions on the road are not without their occasional hassles, but for the most part it is a minor annoyance at most.
For most prescriptions that's entirely true. Schedule II through Schedule V controlled substances are major annoyances because those are the things someone could go to prison for if you don't follow the DEA's rules exactly.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 07-22-2014, 01:51 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
For most prescriptions that's entirely true. Schedule II through Schedule V controlled substances are major annoyances because those are the things someone could go to prison for if you don't follow the DEA's rules exactly.
Yes, fortunately i don't regularly take any of those high-octane drugs unless there has been a recent trip to the ER,,,,but then you have a local physician.

Maggie
Old 07-22-2014, 01:58 PM   #21

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Yes, fortunately i don't regularly take any of those high-octane drugs unless there has been a recent trip to the ER,,,,but then you have a local physician.
Exactly why a hurricane evacuation is a problem; you and your local physician may evacuate to different places. I had to evacuate for Hurricane Gustav just three days after being released from the hospital after surgery, so I got to experience all of the hassles firsthand. Luckily I didn't have to get refills on the road because the evacuation didn't last that long, but it could have lasted longer, so I did my research for next time.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 07-22-2014, 03:07 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
This is great information!!
Old 07-22-2014, 03:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:

We have found pharmacists, pharmacists, pharmacists know best how things work. Talk to your hometown guy, and he will help you.

Maggie
Maggie you are more right than you know when you say talk to the pharmacists - They can give you better information faster than most doctors who write the Rx then forget about it. Also for even more "fun" anyone taking multiple prescriptions should periodically go to both the doctor AND the pharmacist with every bottle of everything you or an elderly relative are taking. Pharmacists know more about drug interactions as a general rule, and often what is being prescribed may be due to a side effect of another drug, not to treat any actual illness. A better solution would be to adjust the dosage of the first drug or change it for something else than to add and add and add. A friend recently did this for her dad and 21 prescriptions were reduced to 7 or 8. And dad is feeling more alert and sleeping better. And medicare/private insurance is being billed a heck of a lot less!

Paula
Old 07-22-2014, 04:17 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
First, I am a pharmacist with experience with a national chain as well as private pharmacies so I do know a little about the subject. For non -controlled meds like blood pressure or cholesterol, you can transfer the Rx to another pharmacy in most any state. Most insurance plans will give you a few days early grace period, some won't. Be aware that if you are using Wal Mart and have your Rx transferred to a WM in Alabama this month then next month the Rx will have to be transferred from the Alabama store and not your home town Wal Mart. I tell you this because in some states, Mississippi is one, only the pharmacist and not the technicians can do the transfer and if it is a Monday morning, be prepared for a wait. It just takes time. The controlled , CIII-CV, drug issue is that they can not be transferred between states. Having new prescriptions is one way to do it. Another is that your doctor could call in a new Rx to the store but it would take planning. A pharmacist can fill a phone order for a controlled drug that is phoned in from out of state (but not CII which must be written). If your wife meds are CII then about the only way is for her doctor to write you Rx's with "Do Not Fill before date" on each separate prescription. Make sure the prescription is written correctly. If the doctor makes a mistake on quantity or strength or anything, the written Rx can NOT be corrected by the pharmacist even if a call is made to the prescribing doctor and can't be filled. I have turned many patients away because the doc made a mistake writing the prescription. I knew what the patient needed, the patient knew but thanks to relatively new DEA rules the pharmacist can not call the doctor to correct a mistake on a CII prescription. If you do this, don't just hand the Rx to the tech at the window but ask for the pharmacist up front. Explain what you are doing and show ID. Scammers won't do that and I can tell you that red flags go up to a pharmacist when an out of state person presents with a CII Rx without telling us what is going on. Pick a national chain and stick with it. A pharmacist in any store can pull up your wife's med list. Seeing that she has been getting the same controlled drug at regular intervals will calm any concerns about filling it. Finally, even if the CII is written correctly, sometimes pharmacists like to call the prescribing physician to verify it, not always, but you might want to do your pharmacy business during hours when your doctor is in his office.
Hope this info helps and have a great trip.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:18 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
North Central , USA
[QUOTE=Protagonist;1485629]

...discuss the matter with your prescribing physician. Have him issue three prescriptions at the same time. All three will have the same date of issue (it's illegal to post-date prescriptions) but the second and third prescriptions would also have a "Do not fill before _____" date on the prescription so you could still only get one month's worth at a time. Each would be on a separate page of a tamper-resistant prescription pad with the prescriber's letterhead preprinted on itů.

This works. I was very surprised that one of my RX's is on the 'controlled substance' list. Our/my 1st experience with this problem involved a medicine I would have never guessed was a controlled substance. (It took us 2 days, an afternoon to late A.M., to actually get it done but the pharmacist at the 'on-the-road' Rx was very understanding & helpful. In his case it was a local state law in addition to the DEA regs.)

As mentioned in another post, check with your local pharmacy & work with your Dr. We do not leave home without hard-copy legal written prescriptions from my PCP on all the controlled substances. Another point: When we return, I bring all the 'left over' paper prescriptions to him so there will be no questioning my intentions.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:36 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
68TWind,
Thank you so much for posting. Though we are still 24 months away from extended travel, im doing my best to get all our ducks in a row for departure. Ive had some MAJOR fears that this med situation might be a deal killer for some of our plans. It sure is great to get information like this from a professional. Thanks again, it looks like this can be dealt with with careful planning and communication.