Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2019, 12:19 PM   #21
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Looking at a different but similar rack that was installed by CanAm, I note that the pin for the stabilizing strut where it attaches to the trailer is horizontal instead of vertical as on the Fiamma rack.

Is it possible that as the bikes bounce, the strut applies a lever to the pot metal bracket? If so, allowing the strut to pivot up and down would relieve this stress point.

Note, this is not my photo, it was posted here years ago.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ml#post1043425
Attached Images

jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:29 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
I ordered a spare upper bracket arm from Patti at fiammausa.com. $48.00 plus $10 shipping.

Patti says that Fiamma-Italy is aware of the arm failures and has authorized Fiamma USA to replace broken arms under warranty.

BTW. I've towed on washboards and gnarly tracks in Alaska without issues. I'll carry as spare just in case.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:59 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
As Silverwind stated, it is critical that the support arms do not bind on vertical tubes. The support arm lengths must be just right. Try using some silicone spray on the circular clamp to help it move freely on the vertical tube.

I have had mine on two of our Airstreams without issue (even with one of the arms not moving as free as I would have liked). So far no issues but I am thinking one should remove the plastic cover from the hinge so you can monitor it for any fatigue cracks.

I have to say I am seriously considering implementing what Seth did on his Airstream. A rear hitch receiver assembly tied to the frame as well as he had done would be as sturdy as the Fiamma rack. The weight would be a little more and the moment arm a little longer but the bikes would never fall off. I'd move some of the heavy items I store in the rear trunk to compensate some for the additional weight.

I would then use the Fiamma support brackets on my Airstream rear panels to tie some type of sway brace to the bike rack. It would have to restrict the sway without putting any vertical strain on the bracket. I'm thinking of a gas piston with a universal joint.

BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:29 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Fiamma Modification for 60lb E-bike

I modified the OEM rack to accommodate an ebike that weighs 60lbs with the battery removed. The battery weighs 7lbs. There are 2 struts from the bumper frame going to the bike tray. You can stand on the rack and there is no appreciable movement at the upper support arms. I have driven several hundred miles with the bike loaded so far with no problems. The verdict is still out on how it will preform in the long run. I had an excellent welder do the mod who has lots of structural fabrication experience so I am confidant that it will continue to preform as planned. If you have questions feel free to ask. I may also look into ordering a spare bracket but $48.00+ seems out of line. The mod cost me $300.00 but the rack was already mounted and I found no other easy solution for carrying my e-bike on the back. The fabricator spent several hours designing and doing the fabrication. I thought boats were the ultimate money sponges, go figure.
Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2A41DA61-7D8E-4013-B94C-A23C4EBDFEEC.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	414.6 KB
ID:	339023   Click image for larger version

Name:	CC0DDE47-8573-48B7-BF69-BAB1DBCC559A.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	425.6 KB
ID:	339024  

Click image for larger version

Name:	5D77F683-BDEF-4B93-81CA-03BC604F65BB.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	408.1 KB
ID:	339025   Click image for larger version

Name:	C500CF5E-FB46-42B7-9723-471AD829C4C7.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	339026  

pkm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:24 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscoMN View Post
I have to say I am seriously considering implementing what Seth did on his Airstream. A rear hitch receiver assembly tied to the frame as well as he had done would be as sturdy as the Fiamma rack. The weight would be a little more and the moment arm a little longer but the bikes would never fall off. I'd move some of the heavy items I store in the rear trunk to compensate some for the additional weight.

I would then use the Fiamma support brackets on my Airstream rear panels to tie some type of sway brace to the bike rack. It would have to restrict the sway without putting any vertical strain on the bracket. I'm thinking of a gas piston with a universal joint.
Interesting video and thought process. Thanks for posting.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:58 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
FYI, here is another fiamma failure thread i have been following since our rack was installed.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ml#post2234672

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 12:57 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Adding the struts from the bottom of the bike trays to the bumper frame adds a lot of stability and greatly reduces the up and down motion IMO. The struts are made to be removable when the rack is not in use. I also take the bike tray off using quick release pins when not using the rack to transport a bike, giving me a little more access to the rear storage compartment. For the heavy e-bike I have a tray that slides out from under the wheels and is used as a ramp to load the bike. Lifting the 60lb bike into my Tundra that has been raised 4" is not an option.
If you already have a Fiamma rack installed, this seems to work for both an e-bike or the OEM double trays to support bikes from the bumper frame. As apposed to relying on the moment arms that are screwed into the aluminum frame and not thru bolted.
Ken
Old 04-25-2019, 04:20 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkm123 View Post
Adding the struts from the bottom of the bike trays to the bumper frame adds a lot of stability and greatly reduces the up and down motion IMO. The struts are made to be removable when the rack is not in use. I also take the bike tray off using quick release pins when not using the rack to transport a bike, giving me a little more access to the rear storage compartment. For the heavy e-bike I have a tray that slides out from under the wheels and is used as a ramp to load the bike. Lifting the 60lb bike into my Tundra that has been raised 4" is not an option.
If you already have a Fiamma rack installed, this seems to work for both an e-bike or the OEM double trays to support bikes from the bumper frame. As apposed to relying on the moment arms that are screwed into the aluminum frame and not thru bolted.
Ken
Hi Ken - Thanks for your post. Do you have an images of the struts your referring to. I'm having a hard time understanding exactly how these would run......

Thanks

Doug
Old 04-25-2019, 08:00 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
If you look at the side view with the bike on the rack, there is a silver brace from the black frame that the silver bumper attaches to running up to the bottom of the bike tray where it attaches to a bracket. I am leaving tomorrow on a trip for 10 days and if you need better pictures I can post them when I return. Hop this helps.
Ken
Old 04-25-2019, 08:11 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkm123 View Post
If you look at the side view with the bike on the rack, there is a silver brace from the black frame that the silver bumper attaches to running up to the bottom of the bike tray where it attaches to a bracket. I am leaving tomorrow on a trip for 10 days and if you need better pictures I can post them when I return. Hop this helps.
Ken
Thanks Ken - I will go and have a look..... Ok I understand now what you have done. This is great - Thanks!
Old 04-25-2019, 08:30 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhat200 View Post
Thank you for sharing failure of the bike rack. I have wanted one but my husband not so much. He does not like the way the bike rack looks on the airstream. I have a townie also. Would love to be able to take my bike with us. I do have a question for everyone. I have seen a platform that was designed by an engineer that goes inside their 19FT airstream that secures their two bikes. May have to consider building this instead of an outside rack .Please share how they’re able to resolve this defect .It definitely would be a concern. Look forward to hearing how the problem is resolved. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
I believe I know the inside rack of which you speak. It is ingenious and well designed solution for heavy electric bikes.

That said, I wouldn't be afraid to install the Fiamma carrier on your trailer for your somewhat lighter Townie. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, we've had Fiammas on our last three Airstreams, close to 100,000 miles of running including a long and sometimes challenging trip to Alaska.....without any failures.

I ordered a spare arm from Fiamma yesterday. As my insurance agent Justin Case says, you never know when you might need it.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:17 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Olympia , Washington
We had the same problem and cheap pot metal on a high stress point may save Fiamma a few bucks but really inexcusable. Just lucky we didn’t lose the bikes and cause a serious accident behind us. In the process of buying a 27’ FC FBQ and selling my 25’ FC FBQ with the Fiamma rack and based on my experience, will research other options. $800 with so many know failures of that part is not good customer service IMHO.
Kathygeese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:33 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Miami Springs , Florida
We have a new trailer ordered and i was thinking on the Fiamma, but all this horror histories plus 800 dollars, make me think on a roof rack....
We never travel rough roads and our bikes are carbon fiber, maybe we are not risking that much. Anyone with similar experience?
Gallego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:49 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Olympia , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallego View Post
We have a new trailer ordered and i was thinking on the Fiamma, but all this horror histories plus 800 dollars, make me think on a roof rack....
We never travel rough roads and our bikes are carbon fiber, maybe we are not risking that much. Anyone with similar experience?

Our local dealer said they are now making a hitch rack for the trailer so you might want to research. My brother who had a bike racing team said he knew a lot of people that put them on the roof and ripped them off forgetting they were there.
Kathygeese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:50 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I have one of these bike racks and I really like mine. I have over 40K miles on my 25FB and I am guessing 30K of those are with two bikes attached. Yes, I did have one pot metal connector break but it didn't cause any trouble and my bikes were never in danger of being dumped to the pavement.

The Fiamma has 4 points that connect to the trailer, the two arms, one on each side and then the larger main tubular frame that is bolted to the bumper/frame. After I load them I secure them tightly with the red strap that comes with the rack. I loop this strap through the main frame of the rack and then add a cable lock for security.

Even with the break, the bikes remained connected to the rack. To have them hit the pavement all 4 of the connection points would have to fail. This might be possible but not really probable. I still am not comfortable with hanging a rack off the back of the bumper. I had one of these on an old tent trailer and the bikes jumped and danced all over the place. I have also seem many behaving like this on the back of trailers and motor homes. On one of our trips a guy with an Airstream pulled in behind me while we were driving through Montana. He followed me into a gas station and got out and asked how I liked the rack. He told me that he watched it over the 40 or so miles he followed and said the bikes were solid to the trailer and hardly moved at all. I like that part.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:54 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Miami Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
I have one of these bike racks and I really like mine. I have over 40K miles on my 25FB and I am guessing 30K of those are with two bikes attached. Yes, I did have one pot metal connector break but it didn't cause any trouble and my bikes were never in danger of being dumped to the pavement.

The Fiamma has 4 points that connect to the trailer, the two arms, one on each side and then the larger main tubular frame that is bolted to the bumper/frame. After I load them I secure them tightly with the red strap that comes with the rack. I loop this strap through the main frame of the rack and then add a cable lock for security.

Even with the break, the bikes remained connected to the rack. To have them hit the pavement all 4 of the connection points would have to fail. This might be possible but not really probable. I still am not comfortable with hanging a rack off the back of the bumper. I had one of these on an old tent trailer and the bikes jumped and danced all over the place. I have also seem many behaving like this on the back of trailers and motor homes. On one of our trips a guy with an Airstream pulled in behind me while we were driving through Montana. He followed me into a gas station and got out and asked how I liked the rack. He told me that he watched it over the 40 or so miles he followed and said the bikes were solid to the trailer and hardly moved at all. I like that part.

Thank you a lot for the explanation, everything makes sense as you say and I really would hate to have to use a roof rack. so Fiamma it is, i will buy the replacement part right away and keep it as back up in the trailer.....
Gallego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:15 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
We had a Fiamma installed on our warranty visit to the factory. So far we like it so much more than wrestling our two mountain bikes in and out of our truck. We don’t have many mikes on it but as with all things associated with rolling down the road I inspect throughly before engine start. One question, the part seems pretty simple. Has anyone thought of or had replacements made in a machine shop out of a better metal? Seems that would be an easy fix (even though we should not have to do that).
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 10:09 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
VT, that is what I'm thinking. Cheaper than a new bike.
We have had ours since day 1, and while don't always have the biks, have maybe 30k miles...knock on wood trouble free miles...inc on our last grip to the keys...over some VERY rough parts of I10. in the beaumont tx and thru LA section.

Someone mentioned lubing the two sliding attachments on the vert supports. Makes sense. Mine shows signs of minor vertical movement ( 1/4" + -) which i believe is good.

Bob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTravelers View Post
We had a Fiamma installed on our warranty visit to the factory. So far we like it so much more than wrestling our two mountain bikes in and out of our truck. We don’t have many mikes on it but as with all things associated with rolling down the road I inspect throughly before engine start. One question, the part seems pretty simple. Has anyone thought of or had replacements made in a machine shop out of a better metal? Seems that would be an easy fix (even though we should not have to do that).
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:01 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Alabaster , Alabama
Unhappy same problem

went to unload 2 bikes weighing a total of 50 pounds and the right arm of the rack is broken just as yours is. Poor quality
gmattingly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 09:51 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmattingly View Post
went to unload 2 bikes weighing a total of 50 pounds and the right arm of the rack is broken just as yours is. Poor quality
How old is your rack?
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote