Old 12-18-2015, 10:39 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1998 19' Bambi
Mirror Lake , New Hampshire
ferry ?

In April we will be taking our 19" Bambi from FL to NH. Checking to see if anyone has experience using the Cedar Island-Ocracoke and Lewes-Cape May ferries.

sawyerpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:51 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
No experience with those particular ferries. But for ferries in general, the main things to watch out for are your break-over and departure angles. If the deck of the ferry is much higher or lower than the elevation of the approach road due to the tide, then the boarding ramp could cause you to scrape either the trailer hitch/tongue (break-over angle) or the trailer bumper (departure angle).

A 19' Bambi isn't long enough to seriously affect your turning radius and has a relatively modest tail-swing compared to larger trailers, so maneuvering on-deck isn't likely to be a problem.

WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 11:41 AM   #3
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Love to take ferries.

My Interstate also has a low clearance, and I have never had any problems. We have been known to drive out of our way to take a ferry. They're just fun.

The ones ours have been on all have had ramps for on/off, which compensated for water levels.

Just take it slow and easy....there will be someone to guide you on and off, so should be no problem.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Lewes-Cape May

MONEY - I think I paid about $35 for the 25fb.

Reservations - not required but needed on holiday weekends. Arrive early enough to get inspected (With a brand new Airstream I felt like I was giving tours!).

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Originally Posted by sawyerpoint View Post
In April we will be taking our 19" Bambi from FL to NH. Checking to see if anyone has experience using the Cedar Island-Ocracoke and Lewes-Cape May ferries.
As everyone suggests, ferries are fairly Standard Operating Procedure when driving/towing RV's. You just have to know your overall total length and should plan on making reservations days ahead of time, or longer depending on season/day/hour of travel. This time of year, the Standby line should move pretty quickly if you show up without a reservation IMO, but the last boat of the day is usually pretty crowded.

The ferry at southern NJ is mentioned a few times in this recent thread:

I have taken it both with and without a trailer, and like all ferries it is very relaxing and well worth the expense if the route works with your travel plans. It can cut many hours, and levels of anxiety, off a trip.

The ferry from the southern Hatteras Outer Banks back to the NC mainland is one I have not taken, but almost did back in the 90's when I spent a week camped right on the ocean in Hatteras. Nice! Not sure if you can make a reservation on this one, but it runs all the time I believe, so I doubt if you would have to wait more than an hour to get on (during normal operating hours -- TBD in this off-season).

Have fun!

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:19 PM   #6
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We took the ferry to Okracoke some years ago and really enjoyed it. We didn't have an RV back then. But now that we do, and live in BC, we take a couple of the inland ferries with our AS annually. Since these ferries don't take revs, we try to get there early during the tourist season, and when the Kootenay pass is closed or hazardous due to snowfall. We've never had any issues getting on or off. With a RV, the main consideration is that they will ask you to turn off your propane, and may even inspect it to makes sure it's shut off, even though there is no "below decks." A propane tank blew up on the Kootenay Lake ferry in 2007. 3 people were injured. So it's a good precaution to shut off your propane prior to boarding.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:32 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Took the BC ferries north from Vancouver years ago, as far north as you could go by local ferry. Gorgeous territory!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 04:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master
2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Took the Ocracoke ferry 10 yrs ago and it was very easy to do, we were in a Coachhouse van at the time, very heavy for 20 ft of van, clearances weren't a problem. Tides might be a problem if at extreme high or low, as stated by others watch for the angle of the ramp, before you enter or exit.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 05:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Went to Martha's Vineyard a number of years ago with the old trailer.

Had to BACK on to a the ferry with the commercial vehicles.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:34 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Nice Ride

Here's your link: NCDOT: Ferry Routes
Once you load that page, you can download the 2016 schedule. The NC legislative body just doubled the rates for all ferries last year. Stinks. The ferry from Ocracoke to Hatteras is free, and runs every 15 min in the summertime, to every 30 min during the winter months. That ferry used to be about a 12 min ride, but with the constantly shifting shoals, it is now up to about a 50 min ride, and boy do they take a zig-zag path to get there. It will change again by April! One of the ferry's ran aground about a month ago. Just make sure you stop in for a visit to where I used to slip my boat in the summer for an ICRB (Ice Cold Refreshing Beverage): Hatteras Landing | Outer Banks, North Carolina You have to stop right beside it when waiting for the Hatteras to Ocracoke ferry anyway, so get out of your vehicle, run inside & then sit on the dock & relax. You'll have no problem seeing the ferry coming.
As you exit, the monster house on your starboard side is the one I am going to buy when I retire. It's the last one on Hatteras and It's GOOOrgeous! 2 full kitchens, elevator, pool, dock, views to die for...ahh yes! Sorry...I am getting off topic. The Outer Banks (OBX) is truly my most favorite place on the E coast. Just incredible, and you will say the same, I promise. Time permitting, stop @ the Hatteras lighthouse. What a story it has to tell. That's pictured in my avatar. Tallest LH on the E coast.

Ocracoke is a very historic town. Cute & quaint, with many interesting places to see. DO NOT leave the island w/o eating & drinking @ Howard's Pub - Home Awesome place!
"Scars are tattoos with better stories." Arrggghh matey!

When you take the ferry from Ocracoke over to Cedar Island, it is best to make reservations if you can. In April it's not too bad, but def call ahead as you get close. Pull your mirrors in, and they will load you amidship and as close to center line as they can. The staff is very helpful. It is tight, but they bring 16 wheelers over everyday, so they are used to dealing with large vehicles. I truly enjoy the trip as you can relax for over two hours, and take in the sweet smell of the sound. Great stress reliever! Have a safe trip, and sorry for rambling. It's my home. Welcome to the great state of NC! We're a very friendly bunch of folks.
PM if you have specific ?'s.
All the best,
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:25 PM   #11
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We took the Cape May-Lewes ferry last summer without the airstream. It's a breeze. The approaches are large and gentle slopes. No worries there. We have been on quite a few others some large some smaller with our airstream. The crews are experienced and will guide you very nicely. Just follow their instructions. I'm sure that most will ask you to turn the propane off. We were on one in Galveston, Tx a few months ago. At the last minute they have signs saying NO gasoline cans. I have a small one for my generator in the back but when they looked they missed it. Don't know how but they did. It was a small ferry and it was free. Even better.

Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote