Old 06-17-2016, 05:57 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Some of it depends on your intended timing. This screen print below shows current state park closures and restrictions in Texas (website here). Posters above mentioned Brazos Bend and Dinosaur Valley... those are excellent, but they are also disaster areas right now. Red means totally closed, yellow means significant restrictions, most of them due to flooding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160617_PARK_CLOSURES.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	264625  

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:17 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Fair Oaks Ranch , Texas
Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
Mother Neff State Park near Belton is very pretty. The area by the river still has flood damage, I believe, but the new upper section is brand new, and the campsites are huge. Be aware of where your campsite is in relation to the highway, otherwise you can get some traffic noise.
We recently stayed at Mother Neff State Park and have to agree, sites are big and new. Recommended.

MikeandCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 06:22 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
DeGray Lake: Protagonist on these boards swears by it.
Yes, I do. I'd swear by just about any other Arkansas state parks as well, but DeGray was my first Arkansas State Park, and that's one reason it's my favorite.

Close to Dallas, you've got Eisenhower State Park, on the south shore of Lake Texoma. Part of the hiking trail runs along the edge of a cliff overlooking the lake, and has gorgeous views. On the Oklahoma side you've got Lake Texoma State Park.

Heading east from Dallas, you've got a couple of Louisiana State Parks right off of I-20. Lake Claiborne State Park near Monroe is beautiful. Not too far away from Lake Claiborne is Lincoln Parish Park near Ruston, which is a hidden gem. I wasn't too impressed with Lake Bistineau State Park near Bossier City, though.

Also in Louisiana within your driving range is North Toledo Bend State Park, and just at the edge of your 5-hour driving range is Chicot State Park near Ville Platte, LA, home of the Louisiana State Arboretum.

In Oklahoma, you've got Keystone State Park, not too far from my alma mater, Oklahoma State University. Nearby is Lake Carl Blackwell, the lake owned by OSU, which has no less than nine campgrounds around its rim.
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 10:05 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
2016 23' Flying Cloud
Richardson , Texas
Texas State Parks

Tyler SP is very pretty and some have full hookups. Farther away Goose Island and Palmetto SP. Try to do Palo Duro in spring or early fall. Just got back from there it was just beautiful but very hot.
2fromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:48 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member
1965 20' Globetrotter
Keller , Texas
Looks like everyone has hit on the main ones ... Just to add my 2 cents, here are our favorites, in no particular order:

Mineral Wells State Park: When we lived near downtown Fort Worth, I could leave work on a Friday, hitch up, and be set up and sipping a beer at Mineral Wells in less than an hour. Beautiful trees, hills, cliffs, and a small lake -- it has it all.

Glen Rose State Park: Also close, also scenic ... plus, dinosaurs.

Possum Kingdom State Park: Big, beautiful lake, although the area has been hit hard by wildfires in the past. Still one of my favorites.

Ray Roberts State Park: Close to the Metroplex, but far enough away that you feel like you're out of town. Plus, a nice lake and lots of trees.

Lake Murray [OK state park]: Nice, but always seems to be jam-packed. There are some nice spots beside the lake, as well.

Ouachita State Park [AR]: Beautiful scenery, but a bit of a hike from the Dallas area.

Beaver's Bend [OK]: Gorgeous scenery, fly fishing -- highly recommended. Also about five hours from the Metroplex, but worth it.

We're definitely fans of state parks, vs. RV parks ... This weekend, however, we're headed to an RV park on the beach in Galveston. If anyone sees a '65 Globetrotter headed south on 45, give us a honk and a wave!
phoenix491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:38 AM   #20
Rivet Master
1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Inks Lake State Park.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:58 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
1963 24' Tradewind
Maumelle , Arkansas
For Arkansas, my favorites are Maumelle Park near Little Rock, the Crater of Diamonds State Park, and Petit Jean State Park. Check them out. You won't be disappointed.
kaferboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:18 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member
2016 19' International
McKinney , Texas
COE parks (McCown Park and Lofers Bend) around Lake Whitney. You can park right beside the water.
Stelear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 02:06 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member
1974 Argosy 22
Dallas , Texas
After reading all of these suggestions, I'm considering cancelling my reservation at Sandy Lake. Was going to be there for about 6 months, but it seems like there's plenty of other options and I do have a park pass... I'll just have to move every 14 days.
TrvlnRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 12:37 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member
1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
We've stayed at Fairfield SP. It's halfway between Houston and Dallas, just a few miles east of I-45. And of course, there's Hunstville. If you like history, there is a SP with historic buildings and a few RV spaces. I can't remember the name of it now, but it's south of Tyler. Close to Palestine, I believe.

In Oklahoma, we've stayed at Thunderbird SP just southeast of OKC. Lake Murray near Ardmore. (Like Thunderbird better.) Lake Copan in NE OK has a really nice USACE campground. Ditto for Canton Lake in the NW quadrant of OK. Core campgrounds there too. I have some really nice sunrise photos from Canton. As soon as I get one from my old computer, I'll post one here.
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:28 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member
1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
Sunrise at Canton Lake, OK

Click image for larger version

Name:	Canton sunrise.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	272231
Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:15 PM   #26
2012 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
At the edge of your 5 hour window since you talked about waterfront, we keep our AS at Sunset Point on Lake LBJ near Marble Falls TX for all of June and July where it is our base camp for sailing, kayaking, and SUP. They call it Sunset Point for a reason!

AlamoRunner is offline   Reply With Quote