Old 01-16-2014, 07:50 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member
2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Favorite Old Country Stores

We will be retiring the end of March and look forward to being able to travel much more than has been possible since getting our first Airstream in 2006 (20 ft. Safari). In 2012 we got the 25 footer we wanted for our travels. One thing that interests us is seeing some old towns in a leisurely fashion. Would be interested in hearing (and seeing pictures) about your favorite towns and especially old country stores throughout the country.
Perhaps there are others who have the same interest and could share some suggestions with specifics about locations and points of interest. We are based in North Carolina and there are plenty to pick from here but don't know much about other areas around the country.

Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #2
65th Anniversary CLIPPER
1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I have a good one for you but it is a long way from you.

The best bakery, great Ice Cream, huge selection of gifts for the size of the place, Clothing, footware, what-have-you! This is your old small town department store owner operated. Even has an electric train circles the complete store representing the now dead local CPR route to entertain the kid in you. Sorry I do not have any pictures of my own to share of the inside. I will look for some outside shots and see what I have in my ARC library.

Direct across the street is McCanns Garage for all you automotive and farm equipment repairs. Stop in for a chat with the boys. I sometimes wonder how they have time to do the work. These small towns have some very talented people.

Pakenham is also the home of the only 5 arch carriage stone bridge in North America.

Sorry, I do not have any good ARC shots of this area. I have a good DVR segment but it would take me 1/2 hour to upload. You can get the same view of the area using Google Street view.

Pakenham General Store.
Panoramio - Photo of Pakenham General Store (and Gift Shop)

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
In Ohio amish county, Lehman hardware. You can loose a couple of hours there, then find some amazing food nearby.

Then up north, my favorite, an original Ben Franklin. It's located in Amherst, Ohio. Huge real hobby selection, great general "stuff", and an entire basement full of tropical and saltwater fish.

I heard rumors of some great nearby courtesy parking also...
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Carolina Low Country , South Carolina
I also love country stores, farmers mkts too...
would certainly like a national list.
StreamNTyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Armed with an Airstream and staying off the interstates should allow you to hit lots of small interesting towns. I am biased because I am from Michigan, but both Ohio and Michigan have lots of interesting small towns. Just travel and you will find lots of good stuff to look at in the small towns.

You can probably do some googling too and zero in on some interesting old general stores.

Have fun.

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 02:39 AM   #6
2006 19' International CCD
Denville , New Jersey
Lehmans, Vt Country Store, LlBean, and on and on. Love them all.
2006 Bambi CCD ("EireStream!!")
2010 Funfinder
2005 T@B
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
I live in Lake Placid, FL - the caladium capital of the World. We are the sister city to Lake Placid New York. Surrounded by about 30 lakes and on the "Lake Wales Ridge" - the only part of Florida that has never been under water. I call our area Florida's mountain range! We have murals all over our downtown area that tell our history and cute little mom and pop shops. Cute little place to visit! Have fun in your travels where ever the road takes you! Laura
Let the good times roll!! Laura
Remax gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:31 AM   #8
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There is a great hardware/general store in Floyd, VA, right on the corner downtown.

A favorite is Kaffe-Frederick Mercantile in Natchitoches, LA. Lots of Lodge cast iron in there, basic hardware items, ironware hooks, gunbo spoons, kitchenware, etc. Great old place, in the oldest town in Louisiana....300 years old this year.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 06:53 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Might not qualify, but the small grocery store in Helen, ga comes to mind. Cannot remember the name. When we used to stay at TopofGeorgia we would shop there. Jim
avionstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:00 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member
2006 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
Hello from Missouri. If are interested in country stores, we have a great one in Caledonia, Missouri. This gentleman had quite a collection from "scoop to nuts" of all turn of the century goods. He bought an old general store and runs it with his wonderful collections of vintage stuff and new stuff too. You can get an ice cream and walk around and admire his amazing collection. This store is on the way to a natural phenomena called "Elephant Rock State Park" where there are giant granite boulders scattered around from ice age. It is an amazing site to see and behold. If that is not enough fun, just down the road from Elephant Rock State Park is Johnson's Shut-In's - a natural water park if you will. It is an area of granite and lava rock formations that in the river that create an area that is fun to traverse. It is a blast, for young and old alike. This area is not too far from some great wineries and St. Genevieve which is the oldest town west of the Mississippi River that is a great historical area that was one a french fur trade town with many of the buildings preserved from the 1700's.
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:10 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member
1997 25' Safari
Montgomery , Alabama
Here is what we use to locate farmers markets....
TAC AL-26 WBCCI 2626

Montgomery, Alabama

follow the Two Bikes and an Airstream blog at
twobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:56 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member
2010 27' FB International
Livingston , Texas
farmers markets

another farmers market site: Farmers Market Online marketplace for farmers growers producers crafters artists and artisans

"It's a magical world, ol' buddy...Let's go exploring!" Calvin to Hobbs
budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:50 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member
1978 31' Sovereign
Springfield , Missouri
My wife and I do the same, almost. Instead of country stores we like flea markets.... not the ones that sell new stuff or flea market 'junk'.

An example is in Taneyville, MO in an old feed store.

We try to stay away from self-described 'antique shoppes' as we find we usually can't afford them. My wife calls them 'Museums' I like to say 'they are sure proud of their stuff'.

We try to stay away from interstates unless we absolutely have to and stick with blue highways.

The only problem with 'free styling' (ala Frank and Bill) is when we see an interesting stop we are always almost on top of it and with a 31' trailer one doesn't just 'whip a you-ey" and pull in the parking lot.

Have fun.
Jim Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:57 AM   #14
Rivet Master
2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
In Ohio amish county, Lehman hardware. You can loose a couple of hours there, then find some amazing food nearby.

You nailed that one, we're originally from the Cleveland area and made frequent trips on the GoldWing to all around Holmes County. But I'm gonna add one twist to Lehman's. The Town & Country grocery store across the street. Go downstairs at lunch and get some simple lunch, maybe a hot Trail Bologna sandwich and a bowl of veggie soup. It'll give you a chance to enjoy some good food and then some.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote