Old 07-21-2018, 12:27 PM   #81
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Lancaster , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire View Post
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]What follows is a listing of Military Campgrounds posted in this thread by page. I did not list duplicates and I did not list campgrounds mentioned as not so good. If I left something out or made a mistake, my apologies.

WOW! That must have taken you a minute or two to put together! Thank you for taking the time to do this!

mammothmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:00 PM   #82
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We have stayed at quite a few of those mentioned plus some not listed. I really can't say I've ever been to one that I would NOT return to. With this in mind I must say simply that some are nicer than others. Our most recent one was West Point in NYS. It was quite nice despite it being not fancy at all. Would love to go back. So, they are there for US to enjoy and it's OUR support that helps keep them operational for our enjoyment.

See ya'll on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:29 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I'd stay far away from the bases and beware of the drinking water in that city where the bases are located. Over fifty years ago I was trained using the foam to put out
shipboard fires. I see the military used the foam at almost every base. Read the link below and decide if camping there is right for you.

https://www.militarytimes.com/2019/0...rinking-water/
Old 07-14-2019, 10:27 PM   #84
1 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
FPO , AE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I'd stay far away from the bases and beware of the drinking water in that city where the bases are located. Over fifty years ago I was trained using the foam to put out
shipboard fires. I see the military used the foam at almost every base. Read the link below and decide if camping there is right for you.

https://www.militarytimes.com/2019/0...rinking-water/
Please note what your are failing to recognize is that very few, if any, military installations in the lower 48 states produce their own water. They receive the water supply from the local municipality. I back this up with currently 10 years of active duty Navy experience as a Civil Engineer. Also, please remember that the two main emerging contaminates you elude to as a result of using AFFF, PFOS and PFOA, are well-removed using Granular Activated Charcoal. The simple in-line filter most folks have will do just fine. https://www.epa.gov/sciencematters/r...t-technologies

By the end of this year, a maximum contaminant level (MCL) should be established by the EPA for PFOS and PFOA. Once that MCL is set and municipalities will be required to comply with that MCL, then you can worry away if PFOS and PFOA are in your water. https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/epa...as-action-plan

For all the other folks who have the access to DOD Campgrounds, please continue to patronize.

Timothy
Palik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:08 AM   #85
2 Rivet Member

Fair Oaks Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palik View Post
For all the other folks who have the access to DOD Campgrounds, please continue to patronize.

Timothy
Yep, we will. We drink bottled water anyway.
2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II #135
2016 Ram 1500 5.7L
MikeandCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:08 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Tim,
I didn't elude to anything that I am aware of when I posted the link. The link speaks for itself and is from Military Times. It does say that the foaming agents have contaminated ground waters in and around the bases. In my mind, that means the city water too would be affected. I don't put blind trust in Navy engineers to tell me if anything is safe or not. In the past they OK'ed the use of asbestos on all ships till a hell of a lot of us passed away from asbestos related cancers. That only took them about 100 years to get rid of that stuff. How about the use of Agent Orange? 50 years later we are still dying from it. That was approved for us to use too! Now it's the water that the military and their families are drinking and using to wash their dishes etc. while living on base and surrounding areas. They go on to further state that there are over 400 sites the government has to clean up just for this latest mess. It doesn't sound like a simple charcoal filter fix to me.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:46 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
this is the list is was able to compile. it lists those site that have a 4.0/5 rating or more.
some mentioned in this form are shut /closed or no longer in business
Attached Files
File Type: pdf US military RV parks-V2.pdf (433.9 KB, 6 views)
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:55 AM   #88
1 Rivet Member

Anchorage , Alaska
The Army Campground in Seward Alaska is very nice.

http://sewardresort.com/
mobile/

The RV parking is a little tight, but usually very good neighbors. Facilities are top-notch. I recommend adding the 4-star plus list.

AKStreamers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
military park, travel