Old 01-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Great idea!

Virginia has some wonderful military RV facilities. Our favorites in our first year have been:

- Cheatham Annex. Naval Supply Depot Near Williamsburg. Very quiet base. Some sites have simply wonderful views of the York River. Lots of woods and critters.
- Lunga Park, Quantico. Simply glorious. Sited on a lake. Lots of woods. Deer overrun the place. Fishing.
- Sea Mist, Dam Neck, Virginia Beach. Over the dune is the Atlantic. Since this is a training base during the week you will awaken to the sound of troops marching to cadence. We chose to enjoy fond memories although Miss Kathy was annoyed.
- Ocean Pines, NAS Oceana, Virginia Beach. Not so much. Last choice if Virginia Beach is your destination. Warm staff and well-maintained sites that are simply not up to the beauty and siting of Sea Mist or Cheatham Annex. Come here if you simply must revisit living under a landing pattern. It gave me fond memories of flight training.

Will post photos when I figure out how to reduce the size of the files.

Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:20 PM   #58
GAT
Owner Spirit of "76"

1976 31' Sovereign
Ball Ground , Georgia
Mil RV around Washington

Some day I would like to go back to the Smithonian In Washington. Is there a good Mil RV park and if so how hard easy is it to drive and park and ride the Metro and see the museum and Arlington.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:57 PM   #59

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
i drove thru the RV camp at Ft. Irwin/NTC this week...not much to brag about...a long straight line of RV's sandwiched between the hazmat bunkers, the stables and the firing range...
But I have to admit...
on the 1:15 ride to the Victorville Hotel...that sunset at the RV park started sounding pretty good...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:02 AM   #60
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Fort Worth Tx to Las Vegas

Will be traveling with Happy our 06 classic to Las Vegas in April; does anyone have any recommendations for a good military campground in Arizona and New Mexico. We will begin our trip from Fort Worth Texas and we want to take it easy and enjoy the ride.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:37 AM   #61
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Louisville , United States
There is a nice military RV site at Redstone Arsenal, right near the commissary and BX. It's about $20 per night with full hook up. For $12 per night, you might camp on the Tennessee River with water and electrical only. Tight spaces on the river, not really practical for larger rigs, but a neat location and the price is cheap.
RV Park
Camping

SSChanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #62
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
Thanks for the great information. This is awaome. CU, Airperson
Old 02-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #63
airperson

2006 25' Classic
Ft Worth , Texas
That should read awesome.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
The best kept secret...Luke AFB campground at Flagstaff. Don't spread it around...
Old 02-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
The best kept secret...Luke AFB campground at Flagstaff. Don't spread it around...
I agree. Great location, too. It's called Ft. Tuthill.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:32 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi silver
I hate to rain on your military parade BUT .I don't like the fact the military keeps these campgrounds for military only.I pay taxes to support the military and your campgrounds. I think I should be allowed to use some of these beautiful campgrounds.No I was not in the Military but to put it quite simply.What makes you a better American!!I served teaching in a public housing area teaching school (33 years). This is where the real battle for this country is going to be won in it's schools. I would like equal access to these campgrounds.I think it unfair to the American public to have special campgrounds for the military only.I don't think your that special. The goverment should open these campgrounds to all campers.Plus I have many men family who served in the army and marines going back to the American Revolutionary War.Fair is Fair
I'm sitting in an MWR campground as I type this. As a veteran, I don't think I have ever been quite so offended by the remarks of another individual on a discussion forum of any kind.
The very soldiers who you so boldly dismiss are the very same ones who have put themselves in harms way to protect your right to run your mouth openly, even if we don't agree with your ideals.
In all honesty, that sort of rhetoric in front of most soldiers/veterans would likely mean that an MWR campground would not be the the safest place for you. It's probably best that you don't have access to them.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:52 PM   #67
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
San Antonio , Texas
military campgrounds in the west

On our trip from Texas to Vancouver

For those that qualify, retired or 100% military disabled, we were able to stay in lots of military campgrounds, the rates are great $17-24.00 a night. The cost has no relation to the amenities. You can pay $17.00 at Nellis in Las Vegas and have all facilities, WiFi and cable, on the other hand, in San Luis Obispo, CA, it could be $ 24.00 and be a mud field with W/E/S. You can use the commissary, PX with NO TAX, but it is a hassle for security checks going in and out of the base.

I liked Travis outside of San Francisco and Monterrey Pines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0256.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	355.0 KB
ID:	122488   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0315.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	474.2 KB
ID:	122489  

Old 02-18-2011, 07:31 AM   #68
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Louisville , United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journalist View Post
I'm sitting in an MWR campground as I type this. As a veteran, I don't think I have ever been quite so offended by the remarks of another individual on a discussion forum of any kind.
The very soldiers who you so boldly dismiss are the very same ones who have put themselves in harms way to protect your right to run your mouth openly, even if we don't agree with your ideals.
In all honesty, that sort of rhetoric in front of most soldiers/veterans would likely mean that an MWR campground would not be the the safest place for you. It's probably best that you don't have access to them.
I concur. As a retired military chaplain, I've had the honor of conducting funerals for those who've made the ulitimate sacrifice so other Americans can tell us "you're not that special". And visited the maimed and wounded who unselfishly gave of themselves and their futures that we may have the freedoms we have. They don't call it "the service" because it's cushy. They call it the service because the people who serve sometimes serve "...with the last full measure of devotion." Teaching is an honorable and valued profession, and we are all grateful for those who have given themselves to that calling. Thank God for the Congress who allows those who serve on active duty and those who've retired from active military service some special amenities. It's America's way of saying "Thank you for your service. We appreciate you." Fair is indeed fair (and nuts is nuts).
SSChanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:37 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAT View Post
Some day I would like to go back to the Smithonian In Washington. Is there a good Mil RV park and if so how hard easy is it to drive and park and ride the Metro and see the museum and Arlington.
Ft. George G. Meade in Maryland is a hop skip and a jump from the Greenbelt Metro Station. Nice little campground next to the lake. Metro station is one of the ones at the end of a line that has a huge parking lot.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi silver View Post
I hate to rain on your military parade BUT .I don't like the fact the military keeps these campgrounds for military only.I pay taxes to support the military and your campgrounds. I think I should be allowed to use some of these beautiful campgrounds.No I was not in the Military but to put it quite simply.What makes you a better American!!I served teaching in a public housing area teaching school (33 years). This is where the real battle for this country is going to be won in it's schools. I would like equal access to these campgrounds.I think it unfair to the American public to have special campgrounds for the military only.I don't think your that special. The goverment should open these campgrounds to all campers.Plus I have many men family who served in the army and marines going back to the American Revolutionary War.Fair is Fair
REALLY, I mean, REALLY....... Wow, Let me count to 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 REALLY.........

OK, there is a small campground at the SEABEE base in Gulfport, MS for use by travelers. I think the campground host is in an Airstream - it's parked in the host spot but I have not been able to catch them there, working maybe? Anyway, it's a wide open lot that once was used for overflow housing using mobile homes in the past. They cleaned it out and now it's RV's only - limited trees but good facilites if you are on the MS Gulf Coast.

I spent some time in Key West in 2010 and the two base facilities there were good to moderate and cheep ($18-$22 vice hotel at $180 and up) for KW. I did not camp but just wanted to see the facilities. Great locations near NEX.

mi siliver: REALLY, I'm civilian DoD, just back from the Persian Gulf 10 days ago - Bahrain to be specific, see the news lately? I get limited use of DoD (military) base facilities and am always grateful to be allowed in. I serve (if you want to call it that) with, next to, around, on ships, in vehicles with the men and women in the SERVICE of the US. I would never place the work I do near the level of gratitude we owe them for their service. They go in for many reasons, but they all serve for one, this great nation and we owe them this small symbol of our thanks. BTW, these RV parks are self funding or they will go away.

clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
military park, travel