Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2018, 07:51 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
austin , Texas
When on the road, I download TED Talks (experts on science, technology, business and creativity), Fresh Air (NPR) and political podcasts. Thanks to everyone who listed their favorite titles/authors. I now have a fresh list to work from on my next trip to the public library for reading while not traveling.
ejami5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:18 PM   #22
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Alittle off topic but related...doesnt Cracker Barrel have an audio book lending library of sorts?
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:34 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Favorite Audiobooks For The Road!

Yes , they do...
And now there is one in Victorville, CA at long last. We’ve been waiting for them since 2004! The 2 hour 45 minutes wait on opening day pales in comparison with the 14 years we had to wait until they came to town...[emoji3][emoji3]
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:43 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Alittle off topic but related...doesnt Cracker Barrel have an audio book lending library of sorts?
I recall you could buy a audio book at Cracker Barrel, trade it in at the next one, and do that all across the country. At your destination, you'd turn in your last audiobook, and be charged a total of $3. (or some nominal amount.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders79 View Post
we actually listen to old radio mystery / detective shows. Our favorite are the Johnny Dollar ones (when played by Bob Bailey). There is an XM radio old time radio channel - but i have found web sites where i can download them - so now just play via bluetooth from my phone.
I had XM on the stereo, but I found the "Old Time Westerns" had a poor audio quality and were suited to listening at home. With road noise and traffic, I had a hard time hearing clearly.

So what is the format now? CD's? Digital downloads?
I remember using 10 cassettes on some unabridged novels.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:16 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post

So what is the format now? CD's? Digital downloads?
I remember using 10 cassettes on some unabridged novels.
Thanks!

So many great suggestions and a few I forgot from my list!

I get mine from Audible. Best bet is Platinum Monthly 2 Credits/Mo for $23.
They have a very liberal return policy. I tend to return almost half I get! Easy to download or stream and lots of sales and daily specials. You can quit and re-up anytime and your library is always archived/available wether you subscribe or not. Of course you can download to phone of other devices too.

Re; Distracted driving. it's all about subject matter and narrator. Some are more suited for home listen but nothing like hearing Monkey Wrench Gang on a SW tour!

Oh yea! Longmire series is pretty good! Different enough but common to the TV show. Standing Bear a bit more fierce! "Tell your ancestors that Standing Bear sent you"
R44
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:39 AM   #26
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I try to taylor my book choice to the planned driving time. Nothing worse then getting down to the end and not finishing. Sure I can finish it at home but just not the same. So the book length is important to me.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:39 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder44 View Post
Thanks!

So many great suggestions and a few I forgot from my list!

I get mine from Audible. Best bet is Platinum Monthly 2 Credits/Mo for $23.
They have a very liberal return policy. I tend to return almost half I get! Easy to download or stream and lots of sales and daily specials. You can quit and re-up anytime and your library is always archived/available wether you subscribe or not. Of course you can download to phone of other devices too.

Re; Distracted driving. it's all about subject matter and narrator. Some are more suited for home listen but nothing like hearing Monkey Wrench Gang on a SW tour!

Oh yea! Longmire series is pretty good! Different enough but common to the TV show. Standing Bear a bit more fierce! "Tell your ancestors that Standing Bear sent you"
R44
Agree about distracted driving....I was guilty twice, but not as a bad driver. I was so spellbound by a novel that I missed my exit and then had no idea where I was for about 10 miles. The second, and I can't even tell you the title or what it was about because I was totally distracted by the narrator! I couldn't place his voice and it was driving me crazy. It wasn't till close to the very end that it hit me....it was the voice of Garfield, the cat. By then, it was either scrap the audiobook or start over...I scrapped it. After that, I started looking at the narrators. Some voices just drive me crazy, so I try to avoid those. Others leave you spellbound.
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:59 PM   #28
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I download books from my library to my phone and then play them via the bluetooth connection in my truck. The app that in s used us called overdrive.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:18 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rounder44 View Post
R44
Longmire was my favorite TV series for a while. I liked it so much I started reading the books on Kindle when they are priced accordingly. Yes, Standing Bear is very different, and Vic would make a sailor blush. I'll have to find the books on tape.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:16 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Longmire was my favorite TV series for a while. I liked it so much I started reading the books on Kindle when they are priced accordingly. Yes, Standing Bear is very different, and Vic would make a sailor blush. I'll have to find the books on tape.
I'm pretty sure all are available on Audible. The narrator George Guidall is good but sounds MUCH different than one would imagine. You sink into it but he's not anything like TV Walt.

I actually slowed down as I went through the first 5 or 6 in a month! Time to try them again maybe!

R44
Rounder44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:59 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
North Bay , Ontario
All my reading is non fiction of some sort. Personal development, history, Christian or spiritual, astronomy, audiophile stuff; however, on my last trip I listened to The Fix by Rick Fuller (among other things) and I was sold on listening to fiction. I have just downloaded quite a few fiction books from these posts and I am looking forward to our next trip. I have done a lot of driving and I have found listening to anything about Louis and Clark fascinating. I have listened to one book on CD's many times throughout the years and I can't even remember the name of it. That was when I was a member of books on tape store. In my current iPhone library I have two: Lewis and Clark - Ken Burns and Trail by Louis Charbonneau which is part fiction as he fills in the gaps of what may have happened to Louis's beloved dog Seaman.
Albireo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:55 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Barnstable , Massachusetts
Nomadland (Audible).
Nonfiction account of people full timing it generally for economic reasons. Found it very interesting.
Gulliver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:00 PM   #33
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
I like audio books (for driving) that come in bite size chunks... with each chapter feeling a bit like a whole new book.

The best example I can find of this type of structure is "Home" by Bill Bryson. Each chapter in the book is about a different room in the house (e.g. hall, dining room, living room etc.), it's history, and its implications in culture. Really great. Recommended.
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 12:50 PM   #34

2017 16' Sport
Kingwood , Texas
Audiobooks

Distraction...yes, situation dictates. Busy cities and needing loads of GPS help make it dangerous...great for highly familiar routes (work commutes) and long stretches of boring highway.
casluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:34 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
Raleigh , North Carolina
"Read " The Great Alone, by Kristin Hanna...excellent!
silverkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:06 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
A Man and His Ship: America's Greatest Naval Architect and His Quest to Build the S.S. United States
When I was traveling a lot, and in Philly, I'd drive past the SS United States. Sadly it was rusting away at a dock along the waterfront. Beautiful lines. I think it still holds the record for a steamship crossing the Atlantic.
Old 09-30-2018, 05:55 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
My wife goes to our local library and checks out several books on CD and we listen to them on all out trailer trips. I burn them to a stick drive when we ride our Goldwing motorcycle on trips. Both work great and help pass the time.
DoubleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 06:33 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Audio Books

Any Tom Clancy and all of the Louis L’Amour westerns for me. Was just at a Bluegrass Festval two weeks ago and saw Michael Cleveland. He has been voted for the 11th time, (I think), IBMA Fiddle player of the Year. He is blind. Incredible talent.

Anyway, on stage he loves audio books and listens to Louis L’Amour westerns. I got a kick out of that sitting in the audience reading one.
starpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:47 AM   #39
Fly Navy and Beat Army!

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
St Peters , Missouri
Gotta be ‘in’

Need to be in this thread.

Thanks!

Squire
Fly Navy, Beat Army!
Squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:46 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
We have been listening to books while we travel since our then 8 year old daughter (she's 36 now!) "forgot" she had a book report due the day after the Memorial Day trip and we took turns reading out loud to get it done as we were driving. That worked, but our readers were all at different performance levels and no one could read for very long. So, on to cassettes, then CDs and now with Audible.

Nicest thing about Audible is you have it on your phone, so as long as you have your phone-you have your story with you. Also, you can have the written text in Kindle synchronized to the audio, so you can read on or re-read parts if you wish.

Remember the olden days with 20 cassettes -all with the same cover and the box accidentally got dropped and all the cassettes you had so carefully stored so you could tell which ones had already been listened to were suddenly shuffled with those you hadn't heard yet? Or, when you took the cassettes back to the library and they discovered half hadn't been completely rewound and wanted to charge you to rewind? Or somehow someone left the last CD in the player on their car so you never heard it? Doesn't happen with Audible...yes, you can get lost but you can easily get to the chapter you need. You can also speed up the rate of the read, so if you are getting close to your destination and just have a wee bit more to hear you can finish it up.

We listen to everything, but those self help things don't hold my interest like a good mystery does. We like to find authors who write about the area we are travelling in (nothing like a good Tony Hillerman when you are in the Arizona desert) to enhance our trip travel. And we've learned over the years that books in the car work best with only one or two people, or small children you can encourage to be quiet and listen -our friends really don't like having to listen for 16 hours!
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote