Old 06-15-2016, 02:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
This is an interesting question. When I first moved to Texas and tried to describe what lake life was like in the summer in New England, the question was always, "But what do you DO at the lake?" Only when the film On Golden Pond came out could I point to something and say... that's what you DO!

I really like camping and I tend to just let the DO part take care of itself should I get bored with "just" camping!

Dana

Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:42 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Covered my activities....nothing to add.

Old 06-15-2016, 02:43 PM   #17
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Eating S'mores
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:05 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Beware

Most california state parks and national parks do not allow dogs on trails even if they are leashed. They allow mtn bikes and horses though. Seems unreasonable. Pet peeve of mine. But I like everyones ideas
Old 06-15-2016, 03:12 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgilcrest View Post
Most california state parks and national parks do not allow dogs on trails even if they are leashed. They allow mtn bikes and horses though. Seems unreasonable. Pet peeve of mine. But I like everyones ideas
Interesting. Fortunately, Oregon state parks do allow leashed dogs on hiking trails and most allow unleashed dogs on beaches.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:19 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Littleton , Colorado
Not yet mentioned - my favorite - photography! Nature, flowers, pets, people, sunsets, etc. The list is endless. Fun to download and select only the best ones to keep (after dark). Then label and catalog them. I also enjoy journaling every evening (on computer).
Old 06-15-2016, 03:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Favorite activities while camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgilcrest View Post
While that certainly does seem to be true south of San Francisco, which was a shock since I don't go that direction much, I have never been denied access with my dog, mostly off leash, at any federal or state park on the coast north of San Francisco. Does seem unfair, doesn't it? Wonder why the difference? The whole attitude toward dogs seems more accepting north of SF. In Mendocino, people in the stores kept asking me to come in with my dog, and finally gave her so many treats I had to start refusing them.

But anyway, back to the subject, when we camp far enough away from others that nobody is going to be bothered by it, I like to shoot arrows at pine cones and other targets of opportunity while I drink wine under my awning. The dog sniffs around at stuff, and Nancy usually goes off on a hike somewhere, sometimes with the dog. When we camp in parks where shooting arrows would be frowned on, we're usually away during the day involved in whatever local attractions there may be. Dinner at night is more of a community affair than it is at home, with me barbequing outside and Nancy making the rest of the stuff in the kitchen. We bring along movies, and usually watch one after dinner until time for bed.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:37 PM   #22
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Canoeing if we're near water. Swimming, water temp. permitting.

Some of our favourite camping places in southeastern BC are close to hot springs.

Hiking

Reading

In a lot of western areas, we like to drop the AS, then take the truck off on some kind of adventure. Nothing too white-knuckle, just more like exploring the dirt roads.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:39 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Lake St Louis , Missouri
Hard to add anything new to the above posts. We try to look at our stops in advance and ID those things we want to visit or participate in. I personally hate to arrive and then try to figure out what to do. In general we enjoy walking, some biking in the park, swimming , and of course 4 pm Happy Hour. We especially enjoy grilling and smoking our dinners and travel with both propane and charcoal. We usually try to do something outside the park each day, even if it just going to WM for supplies. My wife quilts and I read, so for those bad weather days we have a plan. We do enjoy washing and waxing the AS if we're in one location for a while. It takes some work to not have a good time when traveling with the AS.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:52 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Houston , Texas
Other than RV resorts, state parks and campgrounds, we frequent music festivals, chili and barbecue cookoffs, organized trail runs, church retreats. Evenings while camping usually involve a campfire, pulling our camp chairs in a circle and playing guitar. Bad weather sends us inside playing dominoes.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:33 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Lucky us, the only thing that changes when we are camping is the scenery and location. Every day is fishing for Sam, biking for me, walking with the pups, taking in nature and all it has to offer.

Of course part of the enjoyment of travel is living in our FC.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:43 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Lancaster , Pennsylvania
I like drinking beer....is that an activity?
Old 06-15-2016, 04:45 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratta View Post
I like drinking beer....is that an activity?
A worthy activity.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:12 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
I was fortunate enough last summer to go backpacking in the Tetons for a week with some family and friends and come back to our Airstream which happens to have a real bed !