Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2016, 02:23 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Favorite activities while camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgilcrest View Post
Most california state parks and national parks do not allow dogs on trails even if they are leashed. They allow mtn bikes and horses though. Seems unreasonable. Pet peeve of mine. But I like everyones ideas
While that certainly does seem to be true south of San Francisco, which was a shock since I don't go that direction much, I have never been denied access with my dog, mostly off leash, at any federal or state park on the coast north of San Francisco. Does seem unfair, doesn't it? Wonder why the difference? The whole attitude toward dogs seems more accepting north of SF. In Mendocino, people in the stores kept asking me to come in with my dog, and finally gave her so many treats I had to start refusing them.

But anyway, back to the subject, when we camp far enough away from others that nobody is going to be bothered by it, I like to shoot arrows at pine cones and other targets of opportunity while I drink wine under my awning. The dog sniffs around at stuff, and Nancy usually goes off on a hike somewhere, sometimes with the dog. When we camp in parks where shooting arrows would be frowned on, we're usually away during the day involved in whatever local attractions there may be. Dinner at night is more of a community affair than it is at home, with me barbequing outside and Nancy making the rest of the stuff in the kitchen. We bring along movies, and usually watch one after dinner until time for bed.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:37 PM   #22
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Canoeing if we're near water. Swimming, water temp. permitting.

Some of our favourite camping places in southeastern BC are close to hot springs.

Hiking

Reading

In a lot of western areas, we like to drop the AS, then take the truck off on some kind of adventure. Nothing too white-knuckle, just more like exploring the dirt roads.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:39 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Lake St Louis , Missouri
Hard to add anything new to the above posts. We try to look at our stops in advance and ID those things we want to visit or participate in. I personally hate to arrive and then try to figure out what to do. In general we enjoy walking, some biking in the park, swimming , and of course 4 pm Happy Hour. We especially enjoy grilling and smoking our dinners and travel with both propane and charcoal. We usually try to do something outside the park each day, even if it just going to WM for supplies. My wife quilts and I read, so for those bad weather days we have a plan. We do enjoy washing and waxing the AS if we're in one location for a while. It takes some work to not have a good time when traveling with the AS.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:52 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Houston , Texas
Other than RV resorts, state parks and campgrounds, we frequent music festivals, chili and barbecue cookoffs, organized trail runs, church retreats. Evenings while camping usually involve a campfire, pulling our camp chairs in a circle and playing guitar. Bad weather sends us inside playing dominoes.
Chilicook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:33 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Lucky us, the only thing that changes when we are camping is the scenery and location. Every day is fishing for Sam, biking for me, walking with the pups, taking in nature and all it has to offer.

Of course part of the enjoyment of travel is living in our FC.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:43 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Lancaster , Pennsylvania
I like drinking beer....is that an activity?
Ratta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:45 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratta View Post
I like drinking beer....is that an activity?
A worthy activity.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:12 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
I was fortunate enough last summer to go backpacking in the Tetons for a week with some family and friends and come back to our Airstream which happens to have a real bed !
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:56 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Hummm. Just being away from the constantly ringing telephone, the cleaning, the mowing, and the doorbell is enough for a while. (Interacting with guests, helping them with their RVs, and the like are things that I don't mind at all. It's not work.)

But after a few days, it's hiking and taking snapshots.

Lynn
Old 06-15-2016, 05:58 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
The term 'camping' to ME is an anochrism.
What we are doing with our trailers is taking our mobile cottages away from our homes. This gives us a 'HOMEY" Palace to stay while we engage in 'other' activities.
To me; 'Camping' is putting a backpack on your back with tent, sleeping bag, stove and food, etc. And heading out into the wilderness, free of any responsibilities.
THAT is CAMPING!😆
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:01 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
The term 'camping' to ME is an anochrism.
What we are doing with our trailers is taking our mobile cottages away from our homes. This gives us a 'HOMEY" Palace to stay while we engage in 'other' activities.
To me; 'Camping' is putting a backpack on your back with tent, sleeping bag, stove and food, etc. And heading out into the wilderness, free of any responsibilities.
THAT is CAMPING!😆
To me Camping is a state of mind! The level of accommodations is the only difference!

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:03 PM   #32
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
THAT is CAMPING!😆
That is a discussion that has reared its head many times here on the Forums, and it seldom ends well— or seldom ends at all, for that matter. So to rephrase the OP's question in a way that keeps this discussion on-topic, what favorite activities do you engage in while Airstreaming?
Old 06-15-2016, 07:18 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
Geocaching! Cheap, small equipment, you choose hard or easy searches, hard or easy terrain, from a wheelchair to rock climbing, any kind of weather, and it takes you to places you wouldn't have found otherwise. It's just plain fun.
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:24 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Waynesville , North Carolina
GEOCACHING!! I can't believe no one has even mentioned it! It is so fun. It is so challenging! it is both a physical and an intellectual challenge. It started in 2000 and has grown worldwide. It is both an individual and a team sport/activity. The premise is that you/someone hides an object (i.e., trinket, coin, toy or whatever), you register it on-line at Geocahcing.com according to its latitude and longitude and other people seek it out using a hand-held GPS. There are contests, prizes, group gatherings, not to mention the individual prizes.

Check it out: https://www.geocaching.com/play
2016 RAM 2500
FL Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:42 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Trying out new recipes... like figuring out how to make bread on a weber grill!
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:00 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Making ice cream!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:06 PM   #37
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaDog View Post
Nobody mentioned napping yet. Hey... that gives me an idea...
I do with a hammock.
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:34 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
What a great bunch of ideas. In the 5 years I have been airstreaming I keep finding so many great things to do. We pulled in to Crooked River Campground in SE Georgia a while back and their were 3 airstreams in a row checking in. We all were so surprised. In the end one of the great things is meeting and visiting with all the wonderful people you meet. One of the couples we met that day in Georgia were so great.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:48 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I spend a lot of time in a lounge chair either reading, listening to the radio, or listening to the iPad. I also take several walks a day around the cg to look at the trailers and talk to the campers.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:54 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Classic
Camp Hill , Pennsylvania
Fly fishing and photography. Wife likes to shop in local towns i.e. Freeport ME. Also I use the AS as a place to stay when at Wooden Boat School in Brooklin ME.
LyleRussell is offline   Reply With Quote