Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2015, 03:42 PM   #1
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Fallingwater, Western PA

We are planning to visit Fallingwater in October. Originally I was planning on staying at Ohiopyle SP but have heard some negative comments.

Any suggestions where to stay or regarding Ohiopyle SP?
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:58 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marco Island , Florida
My husband and I have stayed twice at Laurel Hill State park on our way to Maryland from Illinois stopping to visit Fallingwater on the way. It was a beautiful park. I'm sure it would be magnificent in the fall.
911Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
We are planning to visit Fallingwater in October. Originally I was planning on staying at Ohiopyle SP but have heard some negative comments.

Any suggestions where to stay or regarding Ohiopyle SP?
Hi, we just were there; We stayed at a camp ground called the "Hideaway" in Normalville, PA. and it was well hidden. It is a small place in the woods. They only take cash or checks and have no frills like WIFI. Water and electric, and a dump station. For a nice peaceful and quiet place this was great. $45.50 for two nights is what we paid. Also your cell phone won't work there either. While there we went to Falling Water and Kentuck Knob, both in the same day.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Ohiopyle is a lovely state park. Older sites though. But nice up in the woods. A good number of of electric only, no full hookups. We have and will stay there. We prefer the "more natural" state park environment. As others have noted there private RV parks available too. To each there own.

While there, don't just visit Fallingwater (which is great) but also visit the close by Kentuck Knob. It's only a few miles from Fallingwater, just outside the state park entrance, on the other side of the town of Ohiopyle.

Have a good time, the small town of Ohiopyle is cool too. There are also some neat caverns nearby that are worth the trip if you like that sort of thing. They are very "natural", lots of fun. Different from say Luray Caverns (which are also cool, but in a different way).

Don't know which way you are coming from, since you live up the road (from me) in Hanover, I assume you might take I 70/I 68/Route 40. If so, there is a STEEP hill heading in and out of Ohiopyle, just brake at the top and take it easy, you'll be fine. If you decide to stay at the state park, there is an alternate route on you can use (I think it's on the park website) where you can avoid the steep hill while towing(that route actually takes you right by Kentuck). You still have to head down a steep hill to get to Ohiopyle, but you'll be doing that without the trailer if you camp at the SP.

Have fun, it's a very nice area no matter where you stay! Book soon as Oct. is a very busy time.
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:57 PM   #5
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
I called Hideaway campground and was surprised that they close for the season at the end of September. I researched Ohiopyle SP and Laurel Hill SP and decided to book a site at the latter. Its about a half hour drive to Fallingwater from Laurel Hill but that will work for us. I also am planning to visit Kentuck Knob. Thanks for that suggestion as well.

Thanks to all for your assistance.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We live in the area, used to ride motorcycles down to Ohiopyle every weekend. Your choice of Laurel over Ohioplye is a good one. There is also a full service campground at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort about eight miles from the falls. It has full hookups etc if you need them at any point. Not sure of the coast but I've seen the park and it only has a limited number of sites and is very nice and clean, no restrooms at, however, as it's for self contained only.

Enjoy, lots of leaf peppers are down at the falls on weekends, LOTS. And hundreds of motorcycles usually on Sundays.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I would recommend the COE campground in Confluence Pa. It has electric, and dump site. There is no water hookup on the site however depending on how long u stay that has never been a problem especially if u use the camground showers.

Also it is not that far from Ohiopyle (about ten miles on a bike and a lttle further by car depending on how you go) and is right on the bike trail.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 06:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
By the way that area is not that far from the 911 memorial in PA
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote