Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
fall trip on the 22nd!

We are leaving on a trip from San Diego to the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Billings Montana and possibly the Badlands on the 22nd. Does anyone have suggestions on campgrounds.... this our first major trip since purchasing our little Glow Worm! (Listen to the old Mills Brothers song!) Our first stop will be in St George UT and Snow Canyon State Park. We don't care if we have hookups or not! Any suggestions are welcome and if anyone will be in those areas, let us know! We would love to see you!
Laurel62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:50 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Burnaby , British Columbia
The KOA in Billings is very nice but expensive. There is also one in West Yellowstone. I would avoid Highway 9 through Zion Canyon with your trailer but this is probably out of your way. It's a very scenic drive with TV only.
willyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
The campgrounds inside Yellowstone are good, but may still require reservations or real early check-in to find space in September.. There is a nice KOA just north of the park on the Yellowstone River, and a couple county and private parks outside East entrance if you can't find space in the park... We stayed in private park to east, and in KOA to north on two different trips in mid-summer..

Alpine Wyoming is incredible, and there are several good campgrounds in that area, if Jackson Hole is booked. The Snake River KOA in Jackson is a good one for Grand Tetons area.. Can't help much with Billings, as we found city to be uninspiring.. Perhaps camping closer to Custer and Big Horn parks is better answer..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Santee , California
Thank you for the information! We are hoping to camp at Slough Creek in Yellowstone... I understand that is a great place to see wildlife! My husband is a photographer so I am hoping to see wolves! We are stopping in Billings because we have family that we haven't seen in a very very long time... Again thank you for the camping info, it has all been entered into my trusty notebook!
Laurel62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Washington , Utah
Grand Teton NP

Your trip sounds wonderful. Those are some of my favorite locations. We like Colter Bay Village RV Park in GTNP. A bit pricey but you are in the park, and are within walking distance to the marina and ranger talks.

Happy travels.
RonaldC303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #6
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Grand Tetons - Signal Hill CG
Yellowstone - Madison, Norris, or Canyon (centrally located in park)
Cody WY - see the Buffalo Bill Museum, Buffalo Bill State Park
Little Big Horn Battlefield - 7th Ranch RV camp
Black Hills, Custer State Park - Stockade CG is easiest in/out
Badlands - KOA @ Interior (has shade & hookups) also see Minuteman Launch site

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Classic
Kent , Washington
Enjoy your trip! When you come back, tell us all about it. And post pictures!
ProPride 3P Trailer Sway Control Hitch
WBCCI #7878
time2play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel62 View Post
Thank you for the information! We are hoping to camp at Slough Creek in Yellowstone... I understand that is a great place to see wildlife! My husband is a photographer so I am hoping to see wolves! We are stopping in Billings because we have family that we haven't seen in a very very long time... Again thank you for the camping info, it has all been entered into my trusty notebook!
We stayed in Pebble Creek last September, which is close to Slough Creek, and saw lots of wolves, bison, pronghorn and elk. Wolves are my favorite and we plan to spend a lot of time in Yellowstone next year when we go full-time. I got some great photos and video of wolves last year. See http://youtu.be/NMuySEHmEVg if you're interested.
Barefootdog is offline   Reply With Quote