Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-01-2016, 10:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Fall in Colorado...

It was our first visit to Colorado in the Airstream, and in the fall. Wonderful time to go there!

Approaching Ouray on the Million Dollar Highway

Went Jeepin' for several days over the mountain tops, 13000' plus, above the tree line.

Telluride is a cool little town

Brown Dog Cafe in Telluride

GMC Sierra Denali HD with Duramax/Allison was the perfect dream of a tow machine. Awesome choice for a tow vehicle with the 30-footer, especially around the Rockies.

DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Thanks for sharing the photos! We look forward to doing something similar once we retire.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Spectacular photos!

Thanks for sharing.

Maggie
Old 01-02-2016, 07:58 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Sulphur , Louisiana
We want to pull our tradewind to Colorado. We have a few destinations in mind but aren't sure of where to stay the night. Did you guys stop at RV parks, state parks, Walmart parking lots? Or all of the above? We always checked trip advisor app for top ranking hotels near popular destinations. This time we have an airstream. Pulling an airstream to a hotel kind of defeats the purpose. Any RV related apps you guys use for finding places?
Bobkatbry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Lake Placid , Florida
OMG!!! These pictures are AMAZING! Thank you so much for sharing!! We plan to leave Florida in September and head out west and Colorado is definitely one of the places we are dying to go!

Laura & Tom
Old 01-02-2016, 09:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Very nice images, especially like the last two with your truck and trailer. (good looking rig) I noted what looks like some type of special bracket platform you have for your sat-dish. Would it be possible to get a bit of info on what you have done and how you like it. Maybe even a few close-up shots of the bracket and how you have attached it.
Thanks

Doug
Old 01-02-2016, 01:12 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
Thanks for sharing the photos! We look forward to doing something similar once we retire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Spectacular photos!

Thanks for sharing.

Maggie
Thank you guys for your kind comments and for appreciating the images!
Old 01-02-2016, 06:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
We just moved to Colorado 4 months ago. The aspens are pretty around our place, but I thought Minnesota fall colors were better. However, nothing as beautiful as your photos. Now I must get to Telluride to take a look around.

Your new Airstream and GMC are looking great together. Any trouble on tight mountain highways? Even our local switchbacks and downhills are pretty dicey with our 34'. I'm a flatlander and just not used to the mountain roads yet.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:08 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tonganoxie , Kansas
Remax gal
We went to Rocky Mt National Park last late Sept and the weather was great and the Elk were in full rut. A huge meadow below the campground that was a gathering point for the Elk. Even seen 2 bulls fighting, up fairly close. Wonderfull trip

Stan
TWA640316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:47 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobkatbry View Post
We want to pull our tradewind to Colorado. We have a few destinations in mind but aren't sure of where to stay the night. Did you guys stop at RV parks, state parks, Walmart parking lots? Or all of the above? We always checked trip advisor app for top ranking hotels near popular destinations. This time we have an airstream. Pulling an airstream to a hotel kind of defeats the purpose. Any RV related apps you guys use for finding places?
Hey there. We usually stay in RV parks, sometimes State Parks. Most of our ring has been in our 44' diesel pusher, until this last summer when we downsized to the Airstream. So, we're more likely to stay in State Parks now than we were with the big rig. We've stayed in Walmart on a few occasions, but only when doing long day drives with same the next day. Typically, though, we only drive about 200 miles a day as we're not in any hurry to get anywhere.

I often use the following to narrow down to places to stay:

AllStays Camp & RV
RV Park Reviews

Have a great trip to Colorado!
Old 01-03-2016, 09:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remax gal View Post
OMG!!! These pictures are AMAZING! Thank you so much for sharing!! We plan to leave Florida in September and head out west and Colorado is definitely one of the places we are dying to go!

Laura & Tom
Hey Laura... thank you for your kind words! I'm no Colorado expert, but I can definitely recommend a visit to Ouray/Telluride area.

And if you enjoy off-roading, the Jeeping in the Rockies in that area is spectacular! You can rent one, if you don't have one.

Our next trip there (fortunately it is close to us in Arizona) we will bring our Rubicon along. I'll drive the Denali/Airstream and the wife will follow with the Jeep.

I should mention that the Denali HD pickup (which is 4WD) did a great job of getting us around some of the not-too-difficult off-road trails in the rockies around Ouray. So, if your tow vehicle is a 4WD pickup, there's a lot you can do with those off-road, especially if you have some A/T tires on it. We saw quite a few 4WD pickup trucks on the upper off-road trails in the rockies!
Old 01-03-2016, 09:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
Very nice images, especially like the last two with your truck and trailer. (good looking rig) I noted what looks like some type of special bracket platform you have for your sat-dish. Would it be possible to get a bit of info on what you have done and how you like it. Maybe even a few close-up shots of the bracket and how you have attached it.
Thanks

Doug
Hey Doug... are you going to visit us in Scottsdale? I can show you the platform in person.

Our 30' International Serenity has two heat pumps, two skylights, and a roof vent, so there isn't a lot of real estate up there for the DirecTV dish. SO we did what some others have done and added an aluminum platform that sits flush on the roof at the center of the rig and is supported with legs on the outer (lower side) of the roof. Our dealership recommended the approach and did the work. Inexpensive. I'll shoot some pics to you.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:59 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Telluride is an interesting little town that backs up into a blind canyon. Here is main street, looking into the blind end of the canyon.

The gondola is free to ride.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:12 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
We just moved to Colorado 4 months ago. The aspens are pretty around our place, but I thought Minnesota fall colors were better. However, nothing as beautiful as your photos. Now I must get to Telluride to take a look around.

Your new Airstream and GMC are looking great together. Any trouble on tight mountain highways? Even our local switchbacks and downhills are pretty dicey with our 34'. I'm a flatlander and just not used to the mountain roads yet.

David
Thanks, David, for appreciating the images. I can't say that fall color in Colorado is as good as or better than anywhere else, but it is enjoyable. And the rockies are probably without compare elsewhere in the USA. Sierra Nevada range is incredible, as well. I just love being in these awe-inspiring mountain ranges.

We find the Denali/Airstream combo to be incredibly easy to drive and maneuver. Haven't had any issues with mountain highways. Of course, moderating speed and driving with cautious skill wins the day wherever you are.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:03 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Hey Doug... are you going to visit us in Scottsdale? I can show you the platform in person.

Our 30' International Serenity has two heat pumps, two skylights, and a roof vent, so there isn't a lot of real estate up there for the DirecTV dish. SO we did what some others have done and added an aluminum platform that sits flush on the roof at the center of the rig and is supported with legs on the outer (lower side) of the roof. Our dealership recommended the approach and did the work. Inexpensive. I'll shoot some pics to you.
At this point a visit is sort of a 50/50 gamble, but thanks for the offer. We are planning on leaving here in the next few weeks and heading straight south and out of the cold. Once we can "summarize" the trailer we will make a decision if we turn left and head to the gulf coast of Texas or turn right and head your direction. It will all be about the weather as to the direction we go... With the weather the southern States have been getting its almost as good here in Canada...... (well maybe not...lol)

Cheers
Doug