Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2017, 02:47 PM   #1
BoatnutG2

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2023 23' Flying Cloud
2013 Interstate Coach
Huntington Beach , California
Fall colors in the North East 2017

Hi all,

We are looking for suggested routes / areas / campgrounds to observe the fall colors and explore for the month of October 2017. We are considering the Vermont area. Departing from Plattsurgh N.Y./ Montreal area. We would appreciate any and all suggestions or if this has been discussed please point me in the right direction.

Thank you for your help.

Randy and K. C.
2015 FC 28
2017 F150
BoatNutG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

The progression of fall colors starts in the north and works it's way south. You will have to be a bit flexible. The season does not always peak at quite the same time. It also is a bit sooner inland than closer to the Atlantic. Route 7 is one of the traditional (as in going back to at least the 1700's) ways to do the journey. It also is (as you might guess) a bit tourist oriented.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 05:09 PM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
We made the trip in the Fall of '15 and were too early for most of the change. We pushed East into Maine to visit in front of a Hurricane and rolled back West and South. Best color was along the highway on our route from there.

Route - run East on I70/80/90 or 94, your choice - stay South of Chicago and then take 90 North - visit Niagra Falls - drive up through NY and drop down into Vermont from along the Canadian border - look up the hot leaf peeper locations listed on the internet and the covered bridge locations to develop a route in Vermont and New Hampshire - find base camps and drive the leaf peeper routes without the trailer. There are some sites to the South as well.

Part of the trip is the New England country side. There are displays of country art .... dressed up figures and such ..... lots of places to stop for maple syrup .... yes, it's a tourist scene, but folks live here and it shows.

Betting you will make the trip again too. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
When I was living in Maine they built a new highway border crossing between Maine and New Hampshire. 3 lanes in and 6 lanes out. The message was "Welcome leaf peepers, now get the heck out!"

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 07:38 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
There is this place in Jackson Center, Ohio with a $10 a night Terra Port. Might be worth a detour as you pass by the area. HW33 is worth a look and a roll over and up HW30/I71 gets you back on track. Pat
Old 06-07-2017, 09:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Plan a trip somewhere with the fall colors as a bonus. In early-mid October Niagara Falls, if you like to romance the other half. The Canadian side is better than the U.S for viewing. Acadia National Park in Maine is very scenic drive, with Bar Harbor a quaint artsy town for the evenings. Newport Rhode Island if you like big house tours. In mid-late October Gettysburg Pennsylvania, for the Civil War history. Washington Dc. plenty of things to do and see.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:11 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
Leaves change from north to south, and from higher elevations to lower. Depending upon weather, things usually peak between September 15th and October 15th in Upstate NY and VT. Good early foliage drives would be through NY's Adirondacks - just west and SW of Plattsburgh (also not as congested with leaf-peepers), and VT's Green Mountains. For mid-season, around the first week of October, Running up NY Rt.22 along the west side of Lake Champlain, or VT Rt. 22A/US Rt. 7 up the east side is beautiful. It is a gorgeous lake, and framed by the Adirondacks and Green mountains on each side. US Rt. 7 and 7A are pretty, but traffic very heavy during leaf-peeper season. I prefer NY Rt. 22 for that reason.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:22 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Classic
Cambridge , New York
Also, keep in mind that many campgrounds in northern New York State and Vermont close for the season right after Columbus Day Weekend. They need to drain their water systems and winterize as evening temps are below freezing by then. Check ahead with any of your October reservations, to make sure that they are open and still have full services available.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:51 PM   #9
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
In Vermont, Route 100 is considered the granddaddy of scenic roads. Do take the time to go on some of the forest service roads (e.g. "The Danby Road" from Peru) which will get you deep into the Green Mountain National Forest. If you're up for some great but accessible hikes, think about Griffith Lake or White Rocks (also near Danby), or park off a forest road and hike a portion of the AT/Long Trail to "Little Rock Pond (2 miles, level hike).

I'd suggest you dip into northwestern MA as well. The Berkshires are amazing and there are lots of little towns to see, with a bit more civilization than Vermont. (Disclosure: I grew up in Vermont and now live in Western MA, so I know my syrup and foliage!).

If I were planning a route from Montreal, I'd go from Burlington to Duxbury, then head south on Route 100 all the way to Brattleboro. Then I'd hop on the highway and head south on 91 and then west on 90 to Lee, MA, and from there I'd head northward, meandering through the Berkshires. I'd roll through North Adams (Mass MOCA) and Williamstown (the Clark) for some culture, and then I'd head north to Bennington and continue on historic Route 7 all the way back up to Burlington. That will give you a long and amazing loop.

I can recommend some other sites along the way if you're interested...

Peak leaf season in western MA is usually around the first or second week of October... There are sites online that will predict the foliage for you..
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 09:05 PM   #10
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
http://www.foliage-vermont.com/southernvt_tour.htm

Pull down the foliage road tour tab for examples.

https://nhtourguide.com/fall_foliage_season_report.htm

Look at the links at mid page. Look at campsite links on left column.

Also search similar type forecast and tourist related sites. As you get closer to the time of change better info is supposed to be posted.

We enjoyed "Smuggler's Knotch". Didn't see too much color as we were too busy driving. Watch out for the parkers that don't get off the road and the hikers who are out of the parked cars.

Trave safe. Pat
Old 06-19-2017, 08:12 AM   #11
BoatnutG2

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2023 23' Flying Cloud
2013 Interstate Coach
Huntington Beach , California
This is great stuff. Thank you so much. We will be headed east from Plattsburgh NY on September 30 weather and colors permitting. See you down the road...
BoatNutG2 is offline   Reply With Quote