Old 05-03-2015, 06:56 PM   #15
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
Don, NM is kind of like AZ, a pretty darned big place with a whole bunch to see and do. It depends on what more local area you'd want to experience and on the kinds of things that you find interesting. Several have mentioned the Enchanted Circle, where we live, and that's fine, but you could pick practically any area of northern New Mexico and find really cool stuff to see/do!

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:21 PM   #16
Regular Guy
1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Do what we did, Go online to the New Mexico dept of tourism. Find the things you like to do, and they will send you information that even some Airstreamers don't know about. The will have all the information in print mailed to your door in less than a week. Maps, Events, Things to see and do by interest etc. We are planning our first long trip on the Mother Road from Miami OK to the Grand Canyon, then up to Wyoming. Oklahoma has the most incredible information available for the traveler. Texas was ho-hum, New Mexico ( got a brochure today entitled TRIBAL: Your journey to New Mexico's Twenty Two Tribes, Cultural Indian Events and Attractions....)
There is so much to see and do, the States are great at helping you sort it all out. It's so relaxing when I scatter the brochures and books on the Kitchen Table and start planning the route. It makes it so much easier for me anyways. There is the Columbres Toltec railroad offers day excursions in a standard gauge steam train. From NM to Colorado. My friend rode it and it was amazing. You will be surprised at all the great information.
Have Fun and be safe.

NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:30 PM   #17
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Whenever I cross a state line on an Interstate highway or major US highway, there is usually a Welcome Center within a few miles. You can stop and get a cup of complementary coffee and spend as long as you like browsing all of the tourist brochures from everywhere in the state, usually including a free (and up-to-date) official state map, too. If your destination is in-state and you're not just passing through, tell the helpful folks at the counter so that they can enter the information in their guestbook.

I'll be visiting New Mexico (for the first time since high school) this summer for the WBCCI International Rally at Farmington, so I'll be hitting welcome centers in Texas and New Mexico on the way to pick up tourist literature for planning future trips.
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:54 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2016 27' Flying Cloud
Streator , Illinois
We're here now at Brantley Lake State Park to visit Carlsbad Caverns which are about 45 minutes away. Drove up from El Paso, TX yesterday and stopped at Guadalupe Mountains National Park on the way. If I had to do this over, I would have stayed there a nite or two but there's always next year. That campground there was boon docking only and was first come, first served. The campground itself was like a parking lot with long spaces to pull your rig into. But would still have liked to stay and do a little hiking and bird watching for a day or two. Brantley Lake so far is really nice. Nice view out the the back window of the 27FB of typical New Mexico landscape with the lake in the background. There is 30 and 50 amp service available and I think a few of the spots even have a sewer connection. The bathrooms look nice. There were 3 other Airstreams when we first got here and had a lengthy conversation with a couple from California, exchanged info, and may get together in Santa Fe for dinner in a few days. Love Airstreamin' for the nice people we meet on the road.
jbroedlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:11 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
This Airstream couple toured New Mexico extensively. Might give you some ideas.

New Mexcio Archives - WatsonsWander
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:22 PM   #20
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We liked Bandolier National Monument Bandelier National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

Visiting nearby Los Alamos was a little creepy, but everyone was friendly.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:41 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member
1972 Argosy 26
Alamogordo , New Mexico
I live in New Mexico, and I recommend Oliver Lee State Park. It's on the side of the Sacramento Mountains outside Alamogordo. It has grand, sweeping views of the Tularosa Basin. You can hike in Dog Canyon, walk in the desert, drive about 15 miles to White Sands National Monument. Great campground.
BentMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:53 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Chama has nice the nice weather of Nothern NM. We have stayed at Rio Chama RV park three times. It is a older park in a really great location along the Chameleon river and the narrow gage steam train tracks. Some sights are a little close for us but others are great. You will need reservations this time of year. It has a lot of retirees who stay the season. It closes around the last of October.

Have a good trip we love NM and have been going in out 98 Bambi for 17 years. We now have a second AS 2012 25 and are planning our next NM trip in July / August.

Enjoy the AS life style!!
Amay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:14 PM   #23
Refugee from Napa, CA
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Madison , South Dakota
Bandolier is a great trip....

Photobum is offline   Reply With Quote