Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2014, 06:58 PM   #21
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Any chance they've improved the road since then?
Not that I'd be taking it any time soon (OR later!).

P
Doubtful. First time I went that way was in 1976 and it was pretty scary. I don't think there were any guardrails then, but they're just an excuse to go off the road. I think they've added some by now. The narrowest part had low walls that looked like they were built in the 1930's by WPA or CCC. With a narrow road and blind curves that part is an adventure for anyone and especially difficult for a trailer. Several years ago they put RV restrictions on the road. Check the Colorado Dept. of Transportation website for information on Colorado passes for when they are open, construction and restrictions. They have a lot of cameras on the passes along with weather stations, so you can see what the pass summit looks like before you travel.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:27 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
I rode my Harley over Independence pass a few years ago on a trip to and from Utah.
I was squeezed over a little too close to the edge of the road by several travel trailers that really had no business on a road like that.
I can't imagine what its like when two of them meet.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:46 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
I towed over Independence pass east to west with a 1987 25' and a 1987 Olds 88 with a 3.8 Litre V/6. Though the pass is high it is well graded rarely more than 6% so not difficult at all. The Treg and 19' would do it easily. Just remember if you are using brakes to control speed on a down grade you are in the wrong gear.

I hope this helps.

Andrew T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Independence Pass med.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	220727  

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
I drove that in '76 and the run down to Leadville from Vail was even scarier.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:59 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
I love the way 6 year old threads magically come to life around here

D

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #26
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
I drove that in '76 and the run down to Leadville from Vail was even scarier.
I think you mean you came from Aspen, not Vail. My first trip over Independence Pass was in 1976 too. No guardrails much of the way and little or no shoulder coming down to Twin Lakes and Leadville in many places.

Gene

Old 12-07-2014, 10:41 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
Gene I got it right. We went from Vail to Leadville, to Twin Lakes, then Aspen and Glenwood Springs. The run south along the ridge, Vail - Leadville scared the hell out of my girlfriend. Independence pass, not so much.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:19 AM   #28
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
Gene I got it right. We went from Vail to Leadville, to Twin Lakes, then Aspen and Glenwood Springs. The run south along the ridge, Vail - Leadville scared the hell out of my girlfriend. Independence pass, not so much.
OK, you went around that way via Tennessee Pass. I think Independence Pass is a lot scarier, or was in 1976 as it is imprinted in my mind. I recall coming down a long, long grade without guardrails and that was the last long descent on the outside coming from Aspen. When going from Aspen you also go on the outside on the west side of the Pass along the narrow part with the low rock walls probably constructed by the WPA or CCC. That area has blind curves and is narrow and that's where RV's get in trouble and RV traffic is now restricted there. If you'd done west to east, your girlfriend may have been more concerned than on Tenn. Pass.

In the mid-'80's we camped in the parking lot at the summit one evening in a Microbus. We were the only ones there until rather late in the evening another vehicle pulled up alongside and also camped. It is a big lot and was empty except for us. I guess they felt safer being a few feet away from us.

Gene

Old 12-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
6 year old thread notwithstanding, I was entertaining thoughts of revisiting that scene as summer of '15 will see me in the area. Those thoughts have now been laid to rest. The information here and from other sources convinced me to stay on I70.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:11 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream25 View Post
My thought is don't do it. The narrow road bed is more of an issue than steepness.

Here is the info from the "Mountain Directory West for Truckers, RV and Motorhome Drivers";

INDEPENDENCE PASS elev. 12095'
(on Colorado Highway 82 east of Aspen, CO)
This pass is closed in winter. Vehicles over 35’ are prohibited. On the west side of this pass there are 15 mph hairpin turns that are much less than 2 lanes wide. There is little room to negotiate these turns because of vertical rock walls on one side and vertical drop offs on the other There is also very little visibility ahead to see if someone is coming from the opposite direction. This is certainly a spectacular pass to travel but not in a large vehicle.
The descent westbound begins with a sign that says--"Steep grade next 6 miles." There are sharp curves, including 15 mph hairpin turns but this upper part is much better road than farther down. The grade is about 6%. About 10 miles down from the summit the road narrows and the next 5 miles are steep and winding with the narrow hairpins described above. The Colorado Dept. of Highways lists this pass at 6%.
The eastbound descent begins with a sign--"Steep grade next 5 miles--sharp curves." There are 25 mph curves and 10 mph hairpins and parts of the grade during the first 4 1/2 miles seem much steeper than 6%. After the first 4 1/2 miles the speed limit increases but the grade remains about 5-6% for another 5 to 6 miles, finally leveling off about 15 miles down from the summit.
X2, I have driven the road many times with a car. There are some curvy narrow places without guardrails where it is impossible not to cross the center line or put a trailer wheel off the pavement. Additionally, at times the traffic is really heavy
I have driven my 25 foot Safari nearly everywhere including some places where I shouldn't have. Independence Pass is a shouldn't have place.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
We did Independence Pass going from Aspen and heading East in 2012 with a Toyota Tundra double cab 5.7L pulling a 23 foot Safari. Nice large parking area on top. Once you are on top... and heading EAST you are doing just FINE.

As you drive through Aspen you will see many restaurants. We stopped, had lunch in town and proceeded towards Independence Pass with trailer in tow. As you begin to leave town, as it seems to end where the entrance to Independence Pass begins... there is a very large sign. You cannot miss it warning that NO trailers are allowed.

Just great... as there is also NO WAY to exit. You are going to make it to Independence Pass and over... if it KILLS YOU. And, it sure can. You are on the guard rail side of the road, which is paved and well maintained. The drop is... well it is there and it goes down as you go UP. The road is wide enough for East and West traffic at the beginning, but obviously those blasting into the hard rock to create this road quit to let two narrow Ford Model A's to pass without incident.

It gets not only narrow about mid way, but if another wide vehicle is coming down... you cannot back up because of traffic behind you, and they cannot back up as the traffic is coming down. The only cure would be to pull your vehicle and trailer as close to the OUTSIDE EDGE so traffic heading WEST can pass. Then someone would have to proceed ahead when it widens... and widen is maybe gaining an extra three feet to "share". But if you get backed up here... it is a time to use some serious traffic control to remove yourself from this jam.

Lucky for me... we had breakfast early and once we were STUCK on this narrow highway for the first, and I will say last time... we made it up to the top without incident. The narrow curves are enough, barely, for two pickup trucks pass without locking... mirrors. Pulling a wide trailer... and not comfortable with a narrow mountain road, a dramatic drop that would crush the truck, the trailer and... well, not a pretty sight at all could develop.

NEVER even attempt this during any hour of the day going from Aspen and up to the Pass. Unless there is someone to stop traffic, totally, the risk is so severe of serious damage to your trailer, tow vehicle even if you are on the INSIDE heading to Aspen. IT IS NOT WORTH IT.

This section of Highway is not on my "bucket list" of things to repeat. I drive narrow blasted out roads in more remote locations and dread oncoming jeep or other traffic not spotted higher up throwing up a dust cloud on their way, up or down.

Pulling a wider and longer trailer around a curve... is pure suicide.

Other than that... we found it pleasant on top, took a walk around the observation area, took a photo of the trailer and sign, a photo of use posing next to the sign and... think of ourselves as the luckiest Airstream owners in the entire world!
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:56 PM   #32
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
As you begin to leave town, ... there is a very large sign. You cannot miss it warning that NO trailers are allowed.

Just great... as there is also NO WAY to exit. You are going to make it to Independence Pass and over... if it KILLS YOU. And, it sure can.
Reminds me of when we started up the coast highway in Marin Co. This road had just a warning about RV's, but also no place to turn around. Not as narrow as Independence Pass, but hairy anyway.

Gene