Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2016, 07:08 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
The Fit RV is a welcome addition to my blog roll, but they don't seem to have many videos on there. The videos I find are short and not necessarily RV-centric (e.g., the authors are exercising outdoors, with trees or picnic tables as equipment aids).

It's on my intermediate-term to-do list to film and place on YouTube a complete yoga routine inside our Airstream Interstate. People do best when they have something that they can follow along with step by step in real time. Plus a Class B is close to being the smallest RV space there is, which requires yoga routine modifications that may not be obvious to beginners. I had to work on my own routine to get it to the point of having it feel natural in such a confined space.

Rather than scheduling a workout as I typically do at home, I find that RV workouts are often impromptu. I live in Texas, so an unexpected heat wave can put the kybosh on my plans to go outside until the sun gets lower in the sky and it begins to cool off. Instead of hiking as originally planned, I'll stay inside and crank the noisy roof a/c and it becomes a perfect opportunity for an hour of yoga. Or it's pouring rain and we have to wait for it to pass. Perfect opportunity for an hour of yoga. Or the husband wants to take a nap and I don't. Perfect opportunity for an hour of yoga.

For those reasons of logistics, I think it's good to have an extensive interior work-out regime even if one does use outdoor spaces, trees, etc. with resistance bands or whatever other gizmos one prefers in a workout that offers greater space.

I'll post back to this thread if/when I ever manage to get the thing filmed.

And oh, BTW, for those who do not practice yoga (yet) - I'd encourage you to consider what it offers. Rather than relying on external equipment, you basically rely on gravity, which is very convenient because it's always with you, doesn't take up space, and doesn't cost money.

Yoga is scalable - it's as challenging as you want to make it. In my local group classes, we routinely receive high school athletes whose coaches want them to gain flexibility as a preventative measure against injury, so they send them to these classes. These jocks typically show up for a time or two and then we never see them again, because yoga is simply too difficult for them to handle. A lot of people assume that yoga is "just some stretching". Nothing could be further from the truth.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:09 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
"So - short of finding a health club near where we are camping .."

This is sort of off topic, but if near many large cities LA Fitness has been very good. We freeze our memberships (especially since we have moved out of Toronto) and have reactivated them when camping near Phoenix, Tucson, San Diego and Melbourne (Florida).
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:38 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Hope that shoulder heals quickly!

In addition to the hiking/walking that you mentioned, kayaking, SUP'ing work for many in warm climates and work more than just the lower body--especially SUP'ing. It's the perfect full body workout, and can be very aerobic st higher speeds.. And biking is another favorite (we abandoned this after a biking caused shoulder dislocation killed a sailing season for me--that was it for biking.

We're windsurfers, another full body sport, so with an Airstream extended season from March-October on the road in warm places, that's a great overall for us, supplemented with hikes/fast walks for additional aerobic. We pack a yoga mat and roller for stretching, but also to make more. Infortable push-ups and crunches as well as our regular PT routine. We started this after my wife':s neck surgery March of 2015. She was sailing again by Christmas, and believe me she was seriously fit and strong from core up through back, chest and neck to protect herself. As always, we support each other after injury by having the other partner join in the rehab, and this was no exception. So we now both have a mat routine, and use bands for resistance in and around the AS. On no wind days, we'll do a full routine, and primarily a very short roller/stretch/warmup routine on sailing days.

Both the yoga mat and the roller just squeeze on the sides of the bed in our 28' International, so easy storage and access makes for no excuses!
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:49 PM   #24
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Upscale RV resorts will often have swimming pools. A few aquafit exercises might be the very thing. Adaptability to your particular camping sites seems called for.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:25 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Gaithersburg , Maryland
TRX is a great travel gym. All you need is bar/branch to hang it from and your good to go!

Steve
Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
cstevecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:41 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We walk about four miles a day at home and have a gym in our basement, plus belong to LA Fitness.

When on the road we continue the walking - resistance bands and have joined Anytime Fitness. This fitness club has and is opening locations in many places, open twenty four hours and combined with the LA Fitness we can generally find some place to exercise if we are in one place long enough. If not, the walking and bands do well.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:10 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Curry County , Oregon
Excellent topic. I really think when it comes to exercise -- where there is a will there is a way-- applies. Whether you are at home, on the road, in the trailer even in a car there are exercises you can do to improve your overall health. I personally use quite a few exercise apps that don't require much in the way of equipment. I download and save them to my computer so that even if I don't have internet I can follow along. A lot of times I do them outside whether people around or not. I don't care how goofy it looks. I know I am doing it for myself and more importantly for all the people who I really care about and cares about me.. Got to go. Going for a good cardiac hike. Merry X-mas and by all means happy exercising.
Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:59 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Here were some recommendations from RV Life:

http://rvlife.com/311-2/
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:56 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
San Antonio , Texas
Leslie Sansone videos for 15-20 minute workouts

My wife an I walk together each morning in front of the television using the simple, non-taxing fifteen minute-per-mile workouts provided by Leslie Sansone on her videos which can be purchased all over the U.S. She also provides many U-Tubes for free on the Internet.

My favorite is the WALK BY FAITH SERIES - A Closer 2 Mile Walk. Give it a try! jd
delongj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 03:33 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
What the hell are you doing on 'the road' with an Airstream???

I had right shoulder rotator cuff surgery a week ago; and I'm grounded, four to six weeks ��
The FC is on it's dedicated pad, winterized, the Ford is in the garage, and my arm is in a sling.

And YOU are on 'the road'?
Not Smart!��
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:54 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Post #1 mentioned his next trailer trip being in April of next year.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:45 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Post #1 mentioned his next trailer trip being in April of next year.
Aw right! I misread the post.
Next spring should be ok for both of us.

Trailer Trash waiting for that Spring!
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:57 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
Rest stop and campsite picnic tables are perfect platforms for an exercise mat. That plus thera-bands and a book of Pilates mat exercises are all you need to exercise every part of the body. Your PT will give you specific exercises that are easy to adapt for doing in the wild with bands. When I was rehabing my shoulder I found it useful to add a foam roller to the mix. Laying on your back on the roller to do arm circles and arm spreads really lengthens the muscles of the affected chest, arm and shoulder areas. Unrelated but useful: When I'm doing long drives I skip rope for a couple of minutes at rest stops to get the circulation pumping--works better than Red Bull for maintaining alertness.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 10:16 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post
Get yourself a border collie.
Ha! True! But don't get one if you can't commit to your exercise for many years.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:11 PM   #35
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Pilates??? That's pie and lattes, right?
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 05:58 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Smithville , Texas
Yeah, but you are having fun.
Matt Kline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:06 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
We exercise on the road with aLIVEonlinetraining.com. The cost is only $10 per month and provides 3 pre-recorded workouts per week. The workouts are short but challenging and can be done with little space and mostly no equipment. It is ideal for travelers. The trainer is a ray-of-sunshine and offers modifications for all fitness levels!
dbopp is offline   Reply With Quote