Old 09-16-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Corvallis , Oregon
EVs (electric vehicles) and towing!

So... Nissan came out with the leaf (awesome), before that was Chevy's EV1 and they now have the Volt (also awesome). Volkswagen has their toys, same goes for Tesla and others. What I really want to know is what vehicles are in the works capable of towing a 27FB?
Nissan just announce the "Terra" concept EV, a Sport Utility EV scheduled to be introduced at the 2012 Paris car show, which definitely is a step in the right direction but.... I need an electric vehicle with a high-efficiency generator housed in beautiful pickup body.
My hope is this thread will be an excellent location for EV loving Airstream Owners to connect and share info, links, technology, news, anything and everything related to electric vehicle technology!
Forgive me if a similar thread exists, cheers!

Old 09-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
An electric motor is ideal for moving a load because it produces maximum torque at zero rpm and very low rpm, where an internal combustion engine struggles and needs a torque converter to clutch slip to get moving.

I worked a marina in college that moved around some very large trailered boats with just a golf cart.

But a battery driven electric tow vehicle is a long way off because of battery technology. A battery needed to give a couple of hundred miles range to a truck and Airstream would likely fill the Airstream and take a hundred amps to recharge in any reasonable length of time. Two hundred miles a day with 10-12 hours recharge time is not ideal for RV'ing, even if they could get such a battery to fit in a truck.

The diesel-electric power plant is an ideal towing powertrain. That is why it has been the power train of choice for over half a century for freight trains, earth movers, tug boats, etc. It is a diesel motor (running at a constant speed for max power and efficiency, connected to an electric generator, which drives an electric motor to turn the wheels. The concept is similar to what is used in today's "hybrids".

In theory, a hybrid could be the perfect towing powertrain with max torque to get the rig moving. Problem is that car companies build them for some mileage improvements and consumers who perceive an eco-advantage, not for their inherent mechanical advantages.

Even with a quantum jump in battery technology, a modern high torque gas or diesel motor coupled to a 6 or 8 speed automatic transmission, managed with modern control software, would be half the cost, more fuel efficient, versatile, and, have better range than an electric or diesel-electric tow vehicle.

In the end, that 100 amp charging outlet is going to be tapped in to a coal, natural gas or nuke plant anyway. Why not carry your own fuel to run a high efficiency diesel-electric, gas-electric, or CNG-electric towing machine?

Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
In an effort to respect the environment, I replaced the Suzuki ATV (ethanol ruined the carb) with a pair of electric carts. Also bought an 18v weed eater and a corded chain saw. Thank goodness we have a coal fired power plant to charge these "green" tools.

Unless and until there is major breakthrough in battery technology, an electrical SUV is a pipe dream.

Did you know that the cost of recyling a Prius battery could be better spent on a week of spa treatments in Beverly Hills?
Old 09-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
In an effort to respect the environment, I replaced the Suzuki ATV (ethanol ruined the carb) with a pair of electric carts. Also bought an 18v weed eater and a corded chain saw. Thank goodness we have a coal fired power plant to charge these "green" tools.
I hope you recycled the ATV.
Raleigh, NC
Old 09-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Nissan Leaf

We have a 2011 Nissan Leaf. It now has close to 8,000 miles on it. We love it. It is the perfect commuter vehicle. The down side is the range on a charge. In the summer, we could probably go close to the adveritsed 100 miles without running any climate control and no headlights (not too much of a load).

I commute about 18 miles each way to work, and a charge costs about $0.90 for a round trip (no side trips on the way home). Not bad compared to a gas powered commuter car.

The Leaf has about 600 pounds of batteries. 600 pounds to go 100 miles. On a 25 MPG gas car, that would be four gallons of gas or diesel, not even a full five gallon can that you can carry in one hand. Makes you appreciate the energy density of gasoline and/or diesel!!

To tow something with an electric car would go through the electrons like crazy!!
Old 09-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward View Post
I hope you recycled the ATV.
Actually, I put a tarp over it and will explore the possibilities of doing a propane carb conversion at some later date.

The USFS has a fleet of gas/CNG F-150's here in Durango. I had a dual fuel Bobcat skidster. However between the EPA and liability attornies, propane wet feeds were banned, so I sold the Bobcat. Colorado has the largest supply of natural gas in the world. Yet, the restrictions of getting the gas out of the ground are driving costs that will no longer be competitive.

I worked on some CNG race car projects in the early 1970's that were so competitive, that they were banned.

Batteries are real old school!
Old 09-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
I worked on some CNG race car projects in the early 1970's that were so competitive, that they were banned.

Batteries are real old school!
CNG is the way to go for less than 300 mile range IMO. Gasoline engines convert to CNG at minimal cost, will run dual fuel, can be refueled at home or at a station, and tank technology is improving. In the state of environ-economic suicide, CNG really took off and Honda dealers were even selling small natural gas refueling pumps to customers to put in their garages. They were very successful but there was no way to collect highway taxes on the home pumps so the makers of those pumps were soon "regulated". They are now hard to find and expensive to recertify so owners seek out the few CNG stations, and it becomes more impractical to own one except for fleets with their own tank and pumps..

Electric car recharging is so very cheap now only because there are no highway taxes, regulatory charges and environmental fees on the electricity and fuel used to produce it. The feds and state revenue collectors are starting to strong arm electric car makers to come up with a proprietary plug and charge controller that will allow for taxes to be collected regardless of where the car is charged - especially at home.

Raleigh, NC