Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
The original post says nothing about diagnostics, quite the opposite. When you have cut a few people out of wrecked vehicles and provided the emergency medical care, then come back and talk to me about my being too uptight about this.
Duly noted. Just trying to get out in front of the "never, ever, under any circumstances" doomsdayers. I think I made my position clear in my 4th post which is post #11.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:11 PM   #22
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Risk is based on exposure. No doubt riding in the trailer is riskier than riding in the tow vehicle.. probably much riskier.

Riding a motorcycle is statistically about 20 times riskier for death than driving a car.

But I think this thread is about a very limited exposure to the risk. Hopefully time, place, driver, and other variables are tilted towards the lowest risk. Coupled with just a few miles of exposure to the risk.

I don't smoke but I wouldn't lose any sleep about my health if I smoked a couple of cigarettes a year.

I don't lose any sleep about putting about 700 miles a year on my scooter.

I don't think i'd lose any sleep about riding in my trailer for a few minutes in carefully controlled conditons. But like I said upthread it would be for diagnostic purposes, regarding ride, balance and noise.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Can't remember the name of the movie, about 25 years ago or so Peter Faulk's character discovers he has cancer and only a few months to live. His step children, teen age boys about 14 and 15 and were riding in the trailer. He has had it with their abuse and unhooks the trailer and leaves them beside the road. You wanted to cheer for him. They had been very abuse throughout the flick with their insulting remarks. Made you really want to jump up and cheer for him. The boys were "rough housing" so bad in the trailer they didn't even realize he had unhooked and left them there.

Selectivity in who you have riding back there could have it's rewards!
Pat Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
Silverhawk has it right:

Quote:
But, Yeah, now this thread is riding in the right direction. Who wants to be scolded with that's illegal, that's unsafe, that's blah, blah, blah. We all Know that already.
Now has anyone done it just for the fun of it?
When I began this thread, all I really wanted to know was, is it fun to ride in the back? Or not? I confess, I yearn for a nap on many long hauls. I'm willing to risk lots for a good, long, nap.

I am aware of the prohibitions, warnings, and horror stories.

Beyond all that, we can't all be paragons of virtue on this site. Some of us must have risked whatever and lived to tell the tale. Dish!
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
I ride in the trailer every now and then under controlled circumstances to listen for untoward noises and check for unusual vibrations. Nipped a couple of in the bud that way. In general, it is way noisy than I thought it would be.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:01 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Rode under the hood of a car a couple of times, but never in a trailer.

Oh, this was for diagnostic purposes only, and in a parking lot - under 15 MPH. Even got questioned by a cop once for it. He just said be careful....

As a 32 year firefighter and 20 year paramedic, there are MANY things I won't do. I can't say that I would never ride in my trailer - under the right conditions.
This would NOT include doing so with my wife driving...
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:25 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
See my post in another thread related to a test ride:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...tml#post976758
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:05 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Lots more movement than one would think. Depending on how much gear is stowed, lots of rattles too.

I haven't spent a lot of time in the trailer but have been at highway speed for a few miles. Corners and city street traffic will keep you in your seat.

As to safety, IMO, I don't see a lot more risk in a trailer than when riding in a motorhome. Both are a going to be like being in a dryer when they wreck, but no guarantees in any vehicles for that matter.

For what it’s worth, I too am a 23 year career firefighter/EMT for a City department. When it’s your time…….

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:52 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1 View Post
Silverhawk has it right:

When I began this thread, all I really wanted to know was, is it fun to ride in the back? Or not? I confess, I yearn for a nap on many long hauls. I'm willing to risk lots for a good, long, nap.

I am aware of the prohibitions, warnings, and horror stories.

Beyond all that, we can't all be paragons of virtue on this site. Some of us must have risked whatever and lived to tell the tale. Dish!
I don't think you'd get much sleep!
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:11 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt View Post
This would NOT include doing so with my wife driving...
I'm guessing Mrs. Fyzrowt does not read these forums.

I've ridden in the trailer twice. Once before and once after balancing the drums and tires.

The second ride was smoother but both rides were noisy and neither was fun.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:11 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Twin Lakes , Wisconsin
We seriously considered putting our Jack Russells back there after one puked in the truck and our 3 kids started gagging & fighting to get away from it. Figured we'd put them in their crates secured in the kitchen area. But we decided against it.... Maybe this year....
redreefet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:24 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
My brother in law rode in his Airstream while my sister drove.....he said it was frightening. This was just for a few miles but he descibed it as noisy, bumpy and thought the entire trailer was going to fly apart. Think I'll pass on this one.
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Saint Paul , Minnesota
I'll do it if someone pays me. Can't be worse than flying thru turbulence in a Cessna.
Cambium29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:22 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I have not personally ridden back there, but I have some empirical evidence. Once the DW and I had been camping with another couple and were on the way home. Two lane road. Came to a big construction / road paving backup. We sat motionless for about a half hour, whereupon the other wife started saying that she had to use the toilet really bad. After wiating another ten minutes or so with no movement in sight, I relented, and gave her the key to the trailer.

Of course, you know what happened: she no sooner got "seated" on the can when traffic in front of us took off. People behind started to honk horns, flash lights, etc. We had noticed that just a hundred yards or so ahead, there was a pullout - and we'd planned for this very contingency: we'd discussed what we'd do if this happened, and had all decided that I would gently ease up there to the pullout, pull in and stop, and wait for traffic to clear.

It's good to have a plan. But just as soon as we started to execute the plan, two guys on the construction crew that we hadn't seen before carried over barricades and closed off the pull off and another guy completely bocked the way with a dump truck! So I eased along for a couple of miles before I could pull off and let the woman get out of the trailer.

She reported that the ride was a bit rough - at least quite a bit worse than in the diesel pickup. And that being "on the can" was definitely not the place to be while going down even newly paved road! She claimed that I did it on purpose, in cahoots with her husband. But I didn't. Really.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:46 AM   #35
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Several years ago a movie came out with Clint Eastwood as a TX Policeman chasing down an escaped convict (Kevin Costner) Eastwood, and two others did the whole movie with case scenes, etc.. in the A/S (25-27 footer est.) being pulled by a 1/2 ton pick-up.. I would have to think they filmed some of it from inside a moving trailer, I could be wrong..
The impression from the movie was that they moved around quite a bit, one guy took a nap, they talked, etc, all while they were on the road..
Had me thinking, that it might not be too bad back there..
I won't do it though, I promse..
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:12 PM   #36
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Riding in Towed Trailer

It is illegal to ride in or on a towed trailer in the Province of British Columbia. I would think this is law in most jurisdictions.
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinAway View Post
Several years ago a movie came out with Clint Eastwood as a TX Policeman chasing down an escaped convict (Kevin Costner) Eastwood, and two others did the whole movie with case scenes, etc.. in the A/S (25-27 footer est.) being pulled by a 1/2 ton pick-up.. I would have to think they filmed some of it from inside a moving trailer, I could be wrong..
The impression from the movie was that they moved around quite a bit, one guy took a nap, they talked, etc, all while they were on the road..
Had me thinking, that it might not be too bad back there..
I won't do it though, I promse..
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:11 PM   #37
steel/aluminum fabricator

2004 22' International CCD
Penticton , British Columbia
The biggest problem i see being in a towed vehicle, is lack of communication with the tow vehicle. If there was walkie talkie or other comm you could at least tell the driver you have had enough. I cant see it as being fun. Just make sure the driver is sane and competent and will pull over when your gonna barf. I am actually going to try it this week as i'm curious as to vibrations and other possible problems you will never know exist. There will definitely be walkie talkie communication.
zedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:42 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedex View Post
The biggest problem i see being in a towed vehicle, is lack of communication with the tow vehicle. If there was walkie talkie or other comm you could at least tell the driver you have had enough. I cant see it as being fun. Just make sure the driver is sane and competent and will pull over when your gonna barf. I am actually going to try it this week as i'm curious as to vibrations and other possible problems you will never know exist. There will definitely be walkie talkie communication.
Who needs walkie talkies, cell phones are everywhere. Even I have one, and I've barely even stepped into the 21st century. O.K. I know, That's illegal too.
silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:04 AM   #39
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
I said, I promise I wouldn't do it..
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 02:32 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Caravel
Dallas , tx
https://www.tripsavvy.com/passengers-in-campers-504228

States that let you ride in a camper:

State 5th Wheel / Travel Trailer / Truck Camper
Alabama No No Yes
Alaska No No Yes
Arizona Yes Yes Yes
Arkansas No No No
California Yes* No Yes*
Colorado No No Yes
Connecticut No No Yes
Delaware No No Yes
Florida No No Yes
Georgia No No Yes
Hawaii No No Yes (over 13)
Idaho No No Yes
Illinois No No Yes
Indiana Yes Yes Yes
Iowa Yes Yes Yes
Kansas Yes (over 14) Yes (over 14) Yes (over 14)
Kentucky No No Yes
Louisiana No No Yes
Maine No No No
Maryland Yes Yes Yes
Massachusetts No No Yes
Michigan Yes Yes Yes
Minnesota Yes Yes Yes
Mississippi Yes Yes Yes
Missouri Yes Yes Yes
Montana Yes No Yes
Nebraska Yes Yes Yes
Nevada No No Yes
New Hampshire No No No
New Jersey Yes No Yes
New Mexico No No Yes
New York Yes No Yes
North Carolina Yes Yes Yes
North Dakota Yes No Yes
Ohio No No Yes
Oklahoma No No Yes
Oregon Yes* No Yes
Pennsylvania Yes* No No
Rhode Island No No Yes
South Carolina Yes* No No
South Dakota Yes* No Yes
Tennessee Yes No Yes
Texas No No Yes
Utah No No Yes
Vermont No No Yes
Virginia No No Yes
Washington No No Yes
West Virginia Yes No Yes
Wisconsin Yes* No No
Wyoming No No Yes
* Communications are required between the driver and any passengers traveling in the camper.
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote