Old 04-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
........SOB = Some Other Brand
Thanks for clarifying. I always thought SOB was square old box, because when we first looked at AS TT's the salesman made a comment something about "if you don't like it then maybe you need a box." He must have been having a bad day. He didn't get the sale.

Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:52 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkasten View Post
I rode in the back of our 65 Safari. We live in the country with only 3 neighbors on our 2 mile long road. I went only 1 mile to the end of the road. I got out at that point and ordered a new axle that evening. After replacing the axle I did the ride again. It rolled much smoother but I still was glad to get out after the mile. Way too much movement and noise.
tkasten, good job on the axle diagnosis. I would ride in back if I thought it necessary to check things out. The conditions would have to be fairly well controlled and for a limited time only.

Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 05:15 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
I ride in a trailer with the owner, to show them how much sharp vibration there is when they need a new axle. It only takes a couple of miles on a country road. Then do it after the new axle and you will be amazed how much smoother the ride is. It floats over the rough roads and railway crossings. My wife will drive and it's good to have a radio with you to stop when needed.
98 Safari
1950 Spartan
1966 Globetrotter
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
Yeah, now this thread is riding in the right direction. Who wants to be scolded with that's illegal, that's unsafe, that's blah, blah, blah. We all Know that already.
Now has anyone done it just for the fun of it?
Old 04-14-2011, 06:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhawk View Post
Yeah, now this thread is riding in the right direction. Who wants to be scolded with that's illegal, that's unsafe, that's blah, blah, blah. We all Know that already.
That's right! So let's see....yup it's not legal in most states, but for diagnostic purposes who's gonna care out in the country.

Unsafe for even short distances???? How many of us ride motorcycles, jump out of planes with a rag and some string on our backs, ride bicycles on streets with cars, jog in the street, hunt, fish, swim, DRIVE ON THE FREEWAYS PULLING 10,000 pounds! C'mon folks, life is a risk, some are worth taking to get answers.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #20
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1 View Post
I know Lucy did it, but I wonder whether or how often any others here have ridden in their trailers while under tow?

If you've ridden in the back, what was it like?

Did you feel like an outlaw? Did you nap? Did you get seasick? Did anything noteworthy happen?

For no good reason--other than I'd like to try it myself--I'm curious.
The original post says nothing about diagnostics, quite the opposite. When you have cut a few people out of wrecked vehicles and provided the emergency medical care, then come back and talk to me about my being too uptight about this.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:16 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocker View Post
The original post says nothing about diagnostics, quite the opposite. When you have cut a few people out of wrecked vehicles and provided the emergency medical care, then come back and talk to me about my being too uptight about this.
Duly noted. Just trying to get out in front of the "never, ever, under any circumstances" doomsdayers. I think I made my position clear in my 4th post which is post #11.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:11 PM   #22
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Risk is based on exposure. No doubt riding in the trailer is riskier than riding in the tow vehicle.. probably much riskier.

Riding a motorcycle is statistically about 20 times riskier for death than driving a car.

But I think this thread is about a very limited exposure to the risk. Hopefully time, place, driver, and other variables are tilted towards the lowest risk. Coupled with just a few miles of exposure to the risk.

I don't smoke but I wouldn't lose any sleep about my health if I smoked a couple of cigarettes a year.

I don't lose any sleep about putting about 700 miles a year on my scooter.

I don't think i'd lose any sleep about riding in my trailer for a few minutes in carefully controlled conditons. But like I said upthread it would be for diagnostic purposes, regarding ride, balance and noise.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:17 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Can't remember the name of the movie, about 25 years ago or so Peter Faulk's character discovers he has cancer and only a few months to live. His step children, teen age boys about 14 and 15 and were riding in the trailer. He has had it with their abuse and unhooks the trailer and leaves them beside the road. You wanted to cheer for him. They had been very abuse throughout the flick with their insulting remarks. Made you really want to jump up and cheer for him. The boys were "rough housing" so bad in the trailer they didn't even realize he had unhooked and left them there.

Selectivity in who you have riding back there could have it's rewards!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:20 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
Silverhawk has it right:

Quote:
But, Yeah, now this thread is riding in the right direction. Who wants to be scolded with that's illegal, that's unsafe, that's blah, blah, blah. We all Know that already.
When I began this thread, all I really wanted to know was, is it fun to ride in the back? Or not? I confess, I yearn for a nap on many long hauls. I'm willing to risk lots for a good, long, nap.

I am aware of the prohibitions, warnings, and horror stories.

Beyond all that, we can't all be paragons of virtue on this site. Some of us must have risked whatever and lived to tell the tale. Dish!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
I ride in the trailer every now and then under controlled circumstances to listen for untoward noises and check for unusual vibrations. Nipped a couple of in the bud that way. In general, it is way noisy than I thought it would be.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:01 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Rode under the hood of a car a couple of times, but never in a trailer.

Oh, this was for diagnostic purposes only, and in a parking lot - under 15 MPH. Even got questioned by a cop once for it. He just said be careful....

As a 32 year firefighter and 20 year paramedic, there are MANY things I won't do. I can't say that I would never ride in my trailer - under the right conditions.
This would NOT include doing so with my wife driving...
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:25 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
See my post in another thread related to a test ride:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...tml#post976758
Old 04-15-2011, 07:05 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Lots more movement than one would think. Depending on how much gear is stowed, lots of rattles too.

I haven't spent a lot of time in the trailer but have been at highway speed for a few miles. Corners and city street traffic will keep you in your seat.

As to safety, IMO, I don't see a lot more risk in a trailer than when riding in a motorhome. Both are a going to be like being in a dryer when they wreck, but no guarantees in any vehicles for that matter.

For what it’s worth, I too am a 23 year career firefighter/EMT for a City department. When it’s your time…….

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote