Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2010, 09:58 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
It's always interesting to see how random (and usually arbitrary) folks notion of dangerous behavior is.

For instance... big gubmint compels us to invest in high-tech children car seats, with five-point belts, and extra padding for our little darlins, in order to travel in the family truckster... at the same time, filing these same children onto big school buses everyday, which are basically big tin cans with church pew seating- no belts, no padding, no safety features at all.

Go figure?
Old 06-27-2010, 11:05 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Drummond Island , Michigan
Back in the late '70s and early '80s I had a 5th wheel that the family and I rode in for some fairly long trips. Actually had a hard wired intercom from the cab of the '75 chev 4X4 pickup to the trailer so we could communicate while moving. Kind of like the crew on an airplane, you let everyone know that they have to be seated and seat belts fastened for take off. I rode back there as well and enjoyed some nice naps on the kingsize bed while my wife drove. It was like being on a train, a little lurch when you started and then the scenery starts going by the windows, no engine or drivetrain noise. We wouldn't cook but the refridge and the toilet facilities worked nicely. If we had an onboard gen we could have run the air conditioning but an open window had to suffice for ventilation and cooling. Traveled up and down the west coast from Mexico to Canada, mountains, desert no problems. There was a window accross the front of the rig by the bed and you could lie there looking over the cab of the pickup with a great panoramic view ahead.
Ahzmyrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 02:17 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
West Hollywood , California
Cool, some of you guys indeed have some nice stories from olden days...

I suspected that the ride would be trembly, but I would never have suspected CO poisoning from TV's exhaust -- this is good to know.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:57 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Cruz , California
I think it would probably be okay if the TV driver was experienced, and it was flat country, and there was a working CO alarm to be sure it hadn't filled with exhaust, etc. etc. But, if there are little kids involved, note this story. My girlfriend's dad was made to ride in a trailer on a vacation trip with his family because there was no room in the TV ... to this day he gets really anxious in one, even when it's parked. All considered though I don't think I would suggest that anyone do it.
dljosephson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 04:16 PM   #25
Still wears a thong

I used to ride back there

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...mal-16599.html
Mrs. Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:13 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Trailer ridin'

Back in 1970, I guess things weren't considered as risky to ride along in any form of a trailer. I remember traveling South from Hayward to Salinas California in an open u-haul trailer!
That's an easy 100 miles
Now when I talk to my youngest son about that fun ride.........
I remember the rental bumper hitch attached to the Plymouth Fury!
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:11 PM   #27
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Tin Hut View Post
I like it when we hear from Mrs. Tin Hut. I wish she would increase her posting rate. As it stands when she pops up it is a rare treat.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:40 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
[QUOTE=Coastalview;865253]Back in 1970, I guess things weren't considered as risky to ride along in any form of a trailer.

Thats because in the 60's & 70's people still used their heads, not to mention the speed limits was at 55 in most places, people took their time because they was on vacation. It was a much different era than now with leave late drive like a jet to get there attitude we experience now. Also back then you just did not see travelers pull some of the stuff that people do today, everybody was considerate of each other in road manors.
I rode in my parents first camper a 16 foot serro scotty several times, then in their fifth wheel once, it was on that first trip that dad seen an accident involving a camper and the blankets on the ground was enough to change his mind on that and there was no getting him to change back either.

Sarge
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:04 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1985 31' Excella
2010 31' Classic
Hendersonville , Tennessee
In the front of Trailer Life there is a list of states that allow riding in Travel Trailer.
Arkansas, Colorado, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Maryland, Mich., Minn., Missouri, Neb.
NashBuff is offline   Reply With Quote