Old 07-29-2003, 04:51 AM   #15
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Re: How long....

Originally posted by Safari Tim
How long does it take to drive with a trailer, wife, 13 year old boy and a 2 year old daughter across country?

Ca to Fl.
When you're doing it... a lifetime. After it's a memory and your kids are grown, it was only the blink of an eye...

AIR 2053 Current: 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis, & 1995 Coachmen B-van
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 05:38 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
Replacing the shocks is not a problem and recommended. I did ours on our 71 Safari and followed the directions on this forum that you will find. Ordered the shocks from Andy at Inland RV. Then took a trip this spring from Nashville to Natchez without any problems. Round trip about 1200 miles.
Keep on rolling,

Dbraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 05:42 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
My longest trip so far was to Indiana, an 8 hour, 400 mile one way. That was before I replaced my axles, repacked my wheel bearings and replaced my tires and shocks. Going back on that same trip, at the end of September.

One of these winters, hopefully this one, I'll yank her down to Florida. I would also like to travel to the big Sturgis MC rally, and visit my brother in Tucson, AZ. I'm just getting her warmed up now.
2003 GMC 2500HD 4X4 D/A Ext. Cab
Propane Powered Honda EU2000i
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 01:01 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Send a message via ICQ to 53flyingcloud Send a message via Yahoo to 53flyingcloud Send a message via Skype™ to 53flyingcloud
Talking It's not a vintage yet

But, the time is ticking~

Actually, my very first trip ever with my 84 Sovereign, was from El Paso, TX, to New Hamphire~Total distance was well over 2300 miles. Talk about a "newbie"! All I can say is, do what the others recommanded abt checking your equiptment before the trip.
For that trip, I did have new tires installed and the wheel bearing repacked. The PO was very helpful in giving me a crash course in do's and don'ts.
I would add this:
Don't do like me and, set out on any trip without adding side mirriors~!
Ouch, I just didn't know better and, had many white knuckle moments.
I can't tell you how many times I said I was "sorry" when changing lanes, etc..
(I figured the mirriors already on the Burb could handle it.)
One word of advice that I'll give freely...Plan your trips so as to stop before it gets too late in the afternoon. RV parks tend to fill up early and, besides it's so much easier pulling in while it's still daylight~ Driving at night, I've found is just not worth it. You can built up a nice "bug" collection all too quickly~! Plus, the road hazzards are not as easy to see at night~Potholes, deer roaming along the side of the road and yes, even a table laying on it's top in the middle of the road~!! (I missed that one, just because I was in the outer lane at the time but????)
Since that first trip, I've taken numerous trips with the A/S plus the lessons learned from all the previous trips.
They've all been just GREAT~!! As I'm sure yours will be too~!
WBCCI 5292 AIR 807
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 05:15 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
I recently took my trailer to a former as dealer to have my wheel bearings done . he told me that unless you see grease on a wheel ,not to worry as long as you use the trailer every year,the bearings are good for 10,000miles or so .Ive never heard of this. any input?
art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2003, 06:47 PM   #20
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Longest Vintage Trip

Our longest trip so far, and our maiden voyage, was just over 4400 miles round trip from Phoenix to Jackson, Michigan. Took exactly two weeks but we had three stops to visit relatives of several days each. Besides losing the entry door while traveling the freeway on the first day, no problems at all

The first 100 miles I was really nervous, the last 4300 was a breeze.

4CU 2699 / AIR 10 / TAC AZ-1

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 07:14 AM   #21
Rivet Master
South Shore , Kentucky
I carefully plan it so I don't even have to refuel with the trailer attached

I understand what you are saying! As you probably noticed where I've posted we just got back from FLA about a week ago, however, our total round trip was about 2200 miles.

We were at one gas station, (which I had to visit them quite often) and I had a near miss. It really pays to be extra cautious when pulling through at the pumps. I was turning to pull up to a pump and when I looked over my left shoulder I came to a sudden stop. The trailer didn't have enough room. I was cutting in a little too close and almost hit one of the metal guards at the end of a pump with the trailer. When I stopped I was about 4-5 inches from it. I breathed a sigh of relief then backed up and corrected for it.

I know after traveling for several hours you can become complacent with your trailer and forget to watch for such things. I've also noticed most of them are not designed for RV'S . The pumps are positioned such that when you pull in you face the store front and there would be a sharp turn when entering or leaving. I've started watching for stations which will accommodate RV'S a lot more and patronize them. It just makes life a little easier!
Visit our church on the web!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 07:39 AM   #22
Just a member
1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64

I have had the same experience, and averted disaster too

I have one more variable to add to the mix. I will not fill up my MH if I cannot park with the refer door facing away from all the pumps. I turn it off, but I still want to minimize the risks. This usally entails driving thru the station and heading back out to get lined up.

Not that I drive fast thru a gas station, but the patrons seem to wander the lot in a daze and will step right out in front of you without a glance. How can you not see something that is as big as a house?
Brett G
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 07:48 AM   #23
79 SLY
1979 31' Sovereign
Fairview , Montana
I understand Oregon is starting a program that has a special sign for RV friendly off ramps, fuel stops, ect. Lets pass the word around, be nice for us if every state did it
The Trumpowers
1979 SLY 31'
1979 GMC 4 door with s/c camper shell
trumpwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 08:04 AM   #24
Rivet Master
1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
The best advice I have was given to me by someone with lots of experience and I follow it best I can on a short trip or cross country.
Other than the standard have everything in good condition before you start.

1. If at all possible never tow in high wind conditions (they were blown off the road in AZ.)
2. If at all possible don't tow in the rain.
3. Make and follow a checklist for hooking up, fuel stops and storage.
4. If at all possible stop for the day no later than 4:30 PM.

I also try to stop for fuel at Flying J or other TT accommodating station even if I have half a tank. I have pulled off at some exits and decided to keep going since a 31ft TT would require to much
hassel to get to the tanks safely.

So far we have not had any AS on the road problems. Did have a xmission failure but made it to our driveway before it gave out!!!!

garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 08:10 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member
We've never had a problem with gas stations.
They all seem to be set up for trucks where we've
I can caution you never to try to pull through
the Krystal drive thru though We nearly scraped our
AC right off the roof!!

hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 09:02 AM   #26
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim
1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I guess pulling the AS through a McDonalds drive thru is out of the question....

Thanks everyone for all the info. It's very interesting and insightful.
1960 International Ambassador 28'
2001 Silverado 2500HD CC 6.0L 4.10
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 09:04 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

when you had your transmission failure, did you have a t /cooler?
& was that failure tow related?

qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 02:05 PM   #28
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Originally posted by Safari Tim
I guess pulling the AS through a McDonalds drive thru is out of the question....
I was following a motorhome (not A/S) into a McDonalds in Columbus, TX a few years ago. He didn't get near the drive through. They had a rustic cedar portal over the lane where you come in off the highway that was about a foot shorter than the air conditioner on his motorhome. He had their whole lot blocked for about a half hour while they brought a ladder and cleared the mess off of his roof.

John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote