Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2019, 10:41 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Aumsville , OR
Ever lose your fresh water tank?

While on a recent trip to Montana the fresh water tank detached from the trailer and was dragging on the pavement until I was able to pull over and stop. We found the tank was only attached by 2 brackets - 1 had fallen off. We unbolted the other (1 bolt remaining), cut the water lines and wires and pulled it free from the trailer. Rather than camp without a fresh water tank we decided to cut the vacation short and continue straight home to Oregon.

Our dealer, Airstream Adventures NW in Gladstone, OR, said they were booked up and couldn't see us for 3 weeks - so we found another Airstream dealer, Sutton RV, in Eugene, OR who was able and willing to look at it right away. They are evaluating the trailer now - but have already said the fresh water tank was improperly installed at the factory.

Does this sound familiar to anyone else? I will update you as this develops. While we are past the 1 year warranty period - we are hoping Airstream will take responsibility and correct the problem.
OR23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Never had that problem, but Sutton was our original Airstream dealer, and appears to be quite competent on Airstream repairs. We blew a GYM and the repairs to the damaged area look like the factory did it.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Never had that problem with any of my three RVs.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Sorry to hear. Never heard of something like this but human error does occur. Sorry about Gladstone Airstream too, I purchased my unit there and they have always been great.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 01:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
No really surprising from a company that basically has no quality control. I've heard of other tanks falling off from loose/unfastened bolts.
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:43 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Aumsville , OR
Full report to follow after we sort this out with Airstream.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
No really surprising from a company that basically has no quality control. I've heard of other tanks falling off from loose/unfastened bolts.

Don’t know if we can jump the gun on assuming it was Airstream. He’s got a 2016 trailer that has been sold at least 3 times at this point. Who knows what kind of maintenance was done or not done. I may go under mine and check bolts as a preventative measure.

Would be nice if airstream did the right thing and repaired it. Would be even better if the local dealer that OP bought it from would step up and help you out in hopes of creating more return business for themselves in the future.

Follow our adventures!
Old 06-22-2019, 09:07 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Carefree , Arizona
We have a 2010 Flying Cloud 25FB and our tank split on us during a trip a couple of years ago. We had Sutton order and replace the tank for around $1k. Now the new tank is leaking when I fill over 3/8 so I'm going to have to bring it in for repair. Again.
wiredforless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:25 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Aumsville , OR
[QUOTE=BigSxyWhtGuy;2255487]Don’t know if we can jump the gun on assuming it was Airstream. He’s got a 2016 trailer that has been sold at least 3 times at this point. Who knows what kind of maintenance was done or not done. I may go under mine and check bolts as a preventative measure.

Would be nice if airstream did the right thing and repaired it. Would be even better if the local dealer that OP bought it from would step up and help you out in hopes of creating more return business for themselves in the future.[/QUOTe

I purchased this 2016 International 23D new from Airstream Adventures NW in Gladstone, OR in December of 2015. It's been lightly
used about 8 times - and stored inside when not in use.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:48 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
My potable water tank now leaks above 35% full so assume there is a split in the side of the tank or is there a connection for the level sensor in the side wall? I will drop the tank when I put the AS to bed for the winter. The trailer is stored in a heated garage. Any advice welcome.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Got it. Sorry, it sounded like you only had a one year warranty so I figured you bought it used. Crazy that they couldn’t get you if faster if you bought it from them.

Follow our adventures!
Old 06-22-2019, 12:21 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Classic
Hutto , Texas
Yes, lost a fresh water tank.

Yes, I've had a fresh water tank fall off.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...ml#post1691658

Although not mentioned in the above post, the repair technician told me that the almost all the screws holding the metal pan to the frame had been stripped.
Wanderer2604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:48 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Blue Sky Ranch , Texas
I’ve said this on other threads with some blowback but it bears repeating:

A trip to the mothership last summer and a tour told me to expect anything to happen. Why?

Too many kids playing on smartphones while things get installed. QC seemed to be missing. Lots of tatted (this where I got some blowback) kids who didn’t seem to be all that interested in making sure of correct installation. And when 4 pm arrived all the motion stopped. No one waited around to make sure they finished inspections. Line shut down and off to happy hour. IMHO.

Yes it was one day that I visited. Yes it may not have been typical. But I saw it and made mental notes. No wonder things are not what they used to be.

And our tour guide made a point of saying (why I don’t know) that most of the craftsmen who build them can’t afford to buy one. Tour guide was proud to own one. SMH.
Msherw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:54 PM   #14
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
If someone is in the habit of poking the hose down the filler tube and turning the faucet on full, the tank can easily be pressurised to a few psi and this will put holding straps under several tons of force that they can't suppirt
Trip map at Spotwalla
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:48 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
el paso , Texas
Haven't lost the water tank, but did lose the sewage hose tube as well as the right front stabilizer. Good news is that I don't really need either. The hose fits fine in a plastic storage bin in the back, and that particular stabilizer was located behind the door step and very hard to reach. Airstream does do a poor job of bolting things down.
sherpa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:04 AM   #16
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I suppose it all comes down to "Attention to detail". I'll bet they use power screw guns and most of these attachments are self threading sheet metal screws that will easily strip out under the power tool forces. There. I've said it. I've done it myself so I can bet they do it too. This is where a little experience will either prevent the problem OR give them the opportunity to correct it.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:25 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
Moschelle , Nova Scotia
I lost a fresh water tank the year after I bought my 2011 27’ FC. Fortunately, it fell off after going over a speed bump in a campground and not when I was cruising down the highway for 6 hours previous. It turned out to be missing several bolts since it left the factory (an install/QC failure). CoachNet dispatched a service truck to Algonquin Park in the middle of Ontario where this happened and proceeded to reattach the tank using ratchet straps tied to the axels and I made the 1,500 mile journey to Colonial Airstream where I bought the trailer to have the tank replaced. I still consider ourselves lucky that it didn’t detach at highway speeds or I’m not sure I’d be here relaying this cautionary tale today.
tdmaymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
redondo beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer2604 View Post
Yes, I've had a fresh water tank fall off.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...ml#post1691658

Although not mentioned in the above post, the repair technician told me that the almost all the screws holding the metal pan to the frame had been stripped.
I discovered that most all of the self taping screws that secure our water tank were stripped. Turns out that they screw into a very thin piece of metal.

Not only were they stripped but the tank housing was misaligned and there were some screw holes to "nowhere."

The repair was a major, expensive, and difficult project for me involving sheet metal, rivnuts, plumbing, and electrical.

This cheap design shows a total lack of respect by Airstream to its customers some of whom save and plan for years to live their dream.

On a positive note we ended up with a cool rivet tool and discovered cutting oil and other things. We replaced the very poor insulation around the tank which should have embarrassed any normal technician, and also relocated the tank drain, reworked the water pump plumbing etc.
Randy and Beth 15 F250, 16 30' International, ProPride, Dexter 3" lift, Michelin 16, Dill TPMS, Centramatics, Battleborn x4, Victron BMV and 1.2KW inverter, Orion DC/DC, BlueSolar MPPT, 300W solar, Alpine iLX, Polk MM1, Samsung smart 42"
mythbuster88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:26 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Aumsville , OR
Follow up report on our water tank detaching from our like new (1 owner, and lightly used) 23D International this past summer.
AIRSTREAM REFUSED TO HELP. VERY BAD FOR AIRSTREAM. Fortunately, Sutton RV (Airstream authorized dealer in Eugene, OR) and State Farm Insurance took care of the repairs/replacement (approx $2,000 total) - and I paid the $500 deductible.