Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2005, 10:21 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Estes Park/Rocky Mountain National Park

Does anyone have campground recommendations? Any experiences at Spruce Lake or Elk Mountain to report? Would appreciate feedback. Tom
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 11:14 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Owings Mills , Maryland
We were in Estes Park last weekend. We did not stay at Spruce Lake, but we checked it out. We are planning to stay there the next time we go up. It seems like a nice, clean park. They have a good looking swimming pool as well as a small lake, and all services. Not as many trees as some places, but it is not treeless.I can't really recommend it because I haven't stayed there yet, but it looks good to me.

Kaye
Old 07-08-2005, 11:53 AM   #3
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
High places

PWRSTRK,

Since our vacation to Rocky Mountain National Park has been delayed until July 30 , I'll be watching this thread for suggestions to campground recommendations

Have a safe Jorney! Is your Airstream ready?
J&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 12:55 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
We just got back from ten days at RMP. We stayed in the park the entire time. There are no hookups and no showers at any of the campgrounds, but the bathrooms have flush toilets and are very clean. The two main capmgrounds (Moraine Park and Glacier Basin) have dump stations and fresh water. (I have 110W solar and two deep cycle golf cart batteries which worked great.)

Our favorite campsite was #37 in the Aspenglen campground. It is a massive site with a great valley/mountain view (no snow caps). We had elk walk right into our site. It is first come first serve and sites go fast on weekends. You can usuaslly get something on Wed., but get there in the early AM and sign up and leave a chair in the site.

Our next favorite was Glacier Basin (reservable) and this is a great jumping off spot for day hikes around Bear Lake. The majority of hiking trails are near here. We had site #139 which is in the tress with no views, but thought it was a great site, especially for my kids.

We stayed at Mary's Lake private campground for one night and hated it. It was too close together, expensive ($47 full hookup) and very unattractive to us, but it did serve it's purpose when we arrived one day early and very late.

Drop me a note and I'll try to answer any further questions you might have. The A/S trailers we saw (6) were in the park. Didn't see any outside the park at all.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
The 2002 Rocky Mountain Vintage Rally was held at Elk Meadow RV Park in Estes Park.
For pictures of the park check out: http://www.airstream.net/rallies/02-RM/index-RM.html and
http://www.insideout-design.net/maxw...parkvac02.html

It was near the entrance to the park, clean and well run with picturesque views...but not a ton of trees as mentioned, perimeter spaces are best for shade...but you are at elevation so it's not terribly hot.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 03:31 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Rogers , Arkansas
I stayed a week at Spruce Lake two years ago. Most of the sites are pretty level and the employees were very friendly. I'd stay there again.
pepper48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 06:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
We just returned (Monday) from the region and found Estes Park to be crowded yet nice. We chose to camp on the west side of RMNP at Lake Granby in the Stillwater campground, slot #90. It was just wonderful with a full veiw out our bedroom window over the lake with the mountains in the background. The campground has showers and one was located just up the hill from our camp. Water and a large dump station are avaiable. Just up the road is the quaint town of Grand Lake which hasn't changed much over the past several years. On our trip we observed various wildlife including Antelope (not in RMNP), Black Bear, Mule Deer, Moose, Elk and Bighorn Sheep. This side of the park is void of the tourists and associated traffic jambs you will find in Estes Park and we can highly recommend it.
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 07:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
THIS is very good advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC5
We just returned (Monday) from the region and found Estes Park to be crowded yet nice. We chose to camp on the west side of RMNP at Lake Granby...
What alot of people don't realize is that 'Estes Park' is a town...not a park.

It is basically a very cute (but crowded) tourist mecca at the east entry to Rocky Mountain National Park. You will certainly want to visit...lots of shopping & restaurants, but if the quiet, mountain-camping, experience is what you are seeking, you may want to consider the west side of the park.

It's a personal preference sort of thing...

Shari

BTW...A great place for Sunday Brunch is the Stanley Hotel...where The Shining with Jack Nicholson was filmed...one of my favorite movies.
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:27 AM   #9
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
RMNP-West Side

ZoominC5, InsideOut,

Thanks for all the great tips on my re-scheduled visit to RMNP. The West side, Lake Granby in the Stillwater campground sounds to be off-the-beatin-path and less crowed and more photo opportunities, I'll check to see if they take reservations. My great-nephew will be traveling with us for his last vacation before school starts, I know it will be a fantistic trip!

Oh Shari, thanks for the pin you gave me at the International in Springfield!

Airstreamsforums.com always comes through!
Old 07-15-2005, 05:00 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
John, Stillwater is one campground that does take reservations. As you may know, you can do so at www.reserveamerica.com if you so desire. Have a wonderful trip to RMNP. Take your binoculars and plenty of memory card for your camera!
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 08:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Spruce Lake

Was home base to us twice in the past. Very convenient location to the park entrance, a short walk to the grocery store, gas station and restaurant, small lake and stream with ducks, geese, elk and mule deer on the roam. The sites were small but the facility was very clean run by friendly folks, and great laundry building. Estes Park is a wonderful little tourist town and a lot of fun. We would love to go back.

Be sure to check out Wild Basin, beautiful area for sightseeing and pictures and a fantastic little rustic lodge and B&B with good food and fine wine with a view --not far at all.
1130 COUNTY ROAD 84 WEST - Allenspark, CO, United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRSTRK
Does anyone have campground recommendations? Any experiences at Spruce Lake or Elk Mountain to report? Would appreciate feedback. Tom

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 09:02 AM   #12
J&C
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Ozark , Missouri
Thumbs up Any Travel Alerts Colorado

Are there any know travel alerts for RMNP/Estes Park, Leadville, Buena Vista?
Old 07-15-2005, 09:47 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

cotrip.org is a great CDOT site

check every where you go for possible fire bans
chtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari
Broomfield , Colorado
I was at Moraine Park Campground (tent camping) last weekend. I'm taking the AS to Aspenglen campground this weekend. Has anyone besides JaceBeck stayed at Aspenglen?
Rush is offline   Reply With Quote