Old 09-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtoaster View Post
You can always count on Brad to add some kind of a twist, weird that it may be.

And tell me more about this house thing!
I assure you bad food can be had amongst all these rocks. Many breakfast joints swim the eggs and potatoes in grease, thus preventing constipation. We have a number of other bad food restaurants—the one here in Crawford guarantees, if the food in the kitchen falls on the floor, they pick it up within 10 seconds and blow the bacteria off it. A couple of stiff drinks will sanitize your alimentary canal.

We bought a house above Grand Junction from a business administration professor at Mesa State College (now they call it a university, but it is the same place) who had moved to either your town. We have a house for sale in Delta Co., so if you buy it, one person from Colorado to Miss. and one family from Miss. to Colorado. This will restore the balance of population and keep each state on the proper side of the Miss. River. Otherwise, Miss. will sink deep into the earth, be flooded by the River and you will lose everything. All will be lost, flee at once! I'm here to help.

Gene

Old 09-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob View Post
Speaking of weird, and this may be too far south for your return trip, but we are headed to Marfa, TX (Tumble In) from ALB on our route to Austin. Was recently on 60 Minutes and my bride tells me is in the new Airstream Life issue.
Definitely too far south. We leave Albuquerque Monday and plan to arrive home Tuesday evening so no time to sight see.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I assure you bad food can be had amongst all these rocks. Many breakfast joints swim the eggs and potatoes in grease, thus preventing constipation. We have a number of other bad food restaurants—the one here in Crawford guarantees, if the food in the kitchen falls on the floor, they pick it up within 10 seconds and blow the bacteria off it. A couple of stiff drinks will sanitize your alimentary canal.

We bought a house above Grand Junction from a business administration professor at Mesa State College (now they call it a university, but it is the same place) who had moved to either your town. We have a house for sale in Delta Co., so if you buy it, one person from Colorado to Miss. and one family from Miss. to Colorado. This will restore the balance of population and keep each state on the proper side of the Miss. River. Otherwise, Miss. will sink deep into the earth, be flooded by the River and you will lose everything. All will be lost, flee at once! I'm here to help.

Gene
I appreciate your desire to keep the head count as even as possible between MS and CO but the closer I get to retirement the less I want to own anything other than some aluminum.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Greg,

US 285 does not go to Breckenridge. Perhaps Buena Vista?

There is a bypass around Santa Fe called the Relief Route.

Otherwise a good route with lots of mountain driving and beautiful views. Only two major passes. There's a KOA a bit west of Alamosa where we will be on Sept. 30 and thence to Albuquerque.

You could do it in 2 days, but it could be a challenge depending on where you are used to driving. A land better seen with more time.

And, perhaps strangely, the man we just bought a house from, lives in, I think, the town you live in. He now teaches at U. of Miss.

Gene
I second Gene's recommendation on Buena Vista/Salida via 285. The great sand dunes would be great. If you fly fish, you will be in Heaven in BV, Salida, and Chama/Poncho Springs. It could be tough in 2 days though. We live just east of Estes. How did you like RMNP? Can't you take another week?! CO has so much to offer
Old 09-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
I second Gene's recommendation on Buena Vista/Salida via 285. The great sand dunes would be great. If you fly fish, you will be in Heaven in BV, Salida, and Chama/Poncho Springs. It could be tough in 2 days though. We live just east of Estes. How did you like RMNP? Can't you take another week?! CO has so much to offer
Won't begin this 2 week odyssey until 09/24. Looks like we won't be able to stay in the park but will definitely spend some time there. Most likely will stay in Estes Park. I do appreciate the input on where to go.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #20
Rivet Master

We take the trip from Grand Lake Colorado to through Santa Fe New Mexico twice a year.
Our route is as follows:
1. Grand Lake to Granby U.S. 34 (If you are in Estes Park take 34 the Trail Ridge Road to Grand Lake adding about 45 miles and 1 1/2 hour through to the trip)
2. Take U.S. 40 West Granby to Kremmling;
3. Take Colorado 9 South, Kemmling to Silverthorne Colorado;
4. Take I-70 West Silverthorne to Copper Mountain;
5. Take Colorado 91 South Copper Mountain to Leadville;
6. Take U.S. 24 South Leadville to Buena Vista and Junction U.S. 285;
7. Take U.S. 285 South to Junction Colorado 17 past Villa Grove;
8. Take Colorado 17 South to Junction with U.S. 160 in Alamosa;
9. Take U.S. 160 West through Alamosa to Junction with U.S. 285;
10. Take U.S. 285 South to Santa Fe N.M.;
11. Take Bypass around Santa Fe (route 404?) to Junction I-25;
12. Take I-25 south to destination.
Believe it or not this is the shortest fastest route from Grand Lake to Santa Fe. It takes about 9 hours and is about 400 miles. It is incredibly scenic and we never get tired of driving it.
Overnight options are numerous campgrounds on 285 around Buena Vista and KOA in Alamosa.
Old 09-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I think the Santa Fe bypass is 404 or is that the number telling us the server is busy, try later? Anyway, the signs say "Relief Route" since Santa Fe is too cool for "Bypass".

Gene
Old 09-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Greg, based on reports coming out of RMNP (major roads closed etc.), maybe now you have more time to spend at some of these other locations. Perhaps Plan B comes into play, as it will for us, since we were originally heading to RMNP this coming weekend on our way west.
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Byhalia , Mississippi
We have elected to completely cancel this trip due to the floods. I can only imagine the misery those people are going through.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Estes Park, as of yesterday, was cut off except from the west and Trail Ridge Rd.—not allowing many people through that way and the Park is closed. Since snow will be coming to Trail Ridge soon, they are going to have to open at least one road to Estes from the east, but I don't know how long that will take and where the money is coming from. Many roads in the canyons along the Front Range are destroyed or compromised. Flood waters are moving east into the plains. Storms hitting Mexico may bring more moisture north soon. Since the northeast had lots of trouble obtaining relief funds after Sandy, I don't know if Colorado will get much or any help.

Western Colorado got a lot of rain, but no floods I am aware off, so roads west of the Divide and in south central Colorado are open. Greg, you could go further west and still have a good time. Brad, I-70 is open and most roads south of the Denver area seem good, though it is best to check with Colorado DOT's road conditions website.

Gene
Old 09-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #25
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
The Santa Fe bypass is 599, aka the Veterans Memorial Highway (in part so named because its northside terminus is near the state memorial). When you're heading into the Santa Fe area from the north, you'll be climbing some grades and passing the Santa Fe Opera. Get into the right lane. As you top the final grade, you'll find the exit onto 599 from the right lane.

The Taos bypass is 585. We recommend it to everybody entering Taos from the east side with an RV, no matter which direction you're heading thereafter.

For those who, like us, really dislike interstate travel in cities, you can avoid a great deal of ABQ traffic by getting off of the interstate south of Santa Fe at Algodones. Get on state road 313 and follow it all the way in to Paseo del Norte, where you turn right/west. There will be some traffic on Paseo, but it won't last long. Follow the road all the way out of ABQ onto the west mesa. It'll take you to within a few blocks of Vicki's place and Camping World.

Lynn