Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-25-2016, 04:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Escaping

Another thread here discusses whether or not it is necessary to unhook when staying only overnight. Someone mentioned emergency escapes due to weather. We had such an experience last summer.

We were going to stay at Walnut Woods State Park near Des Moines for a week while my wife attended the LWML convention there. We arrived the day before the convention began and got all set up. The next morning, while we were getting up, someone was knocking on the door - 6 a.m.! It was the park ranger telling us that everyone had to be gone by noon because the river was rising and they were afraid that there would be flooding.

Instead of a leisurely breakfast we packed up and headed out. The river was only a few inches below the road, although since it was several feet away each inch of rise amounted to a much larger volume of water. We eventually landed at Adventureland. While we were checking on our refund we found out that the water covered the power pedestals.

We had no idea that there was a possible problem, but since we aren't in the habit of putting a lot of stuff out, it didn't take us long to get ready to leave. Obviously, a tornado would have been a different story altogether, but being aware of the weather is a good idea. When we get our Airstream we'll have a somewhat different plan for departure than we do with the MH, but I'm guessing that we'll still be able to be moving in less than 30 minutes if the need arises.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 02:38 PM   #2
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Glad you got out safely. Most times a quick getaway isn't such an issue, but there was a case last summer of a rapidly burning forest fire in BC where campers had no advance warning. It was get out NOW and some of them lost their RVs to the blaze.

http://globalnews.ca/news/2167486/se...ck-creek-fire/

Checking the forecast is a good idea. AccuWeather is probably the best; Weather Bug gives various storm and flood alerts. In places with no cell phone service (like a lot of the mountain West) the park rangers generally get a forecast.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 02:59 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Checking the forecast is a good idea. AccuWeather is probably the best; Weather Bug gives various storm and flood alerts. In places with no cell phone service (like a lot of the mountain West) the park rangers generally get a forecast.
On my laptop I have the Weather Channel Online bookmarked. On my phone I use AccuWeather. I also use the Red Cross suite of apps on my phone, including Tornado, Hurricane, Wildfire, Flood, etc. so that I get immediate notification of watches and warnings for wherever I happen to be.