Old 08-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It is hard to make sense of all this from 2,000 miles away. The media and some local and state gov't officials hyped this for day after day and now they have to prove that it was really, really bad.

Since the flooding has only started, there's a lot to learn yet. It seems the cable channels stationed all their people along the coast and there is hardly any reporting from inland.

Having lived through many hurricanes and northeasters, I am unimpressed this was any different or worse than any others. Flooding inland is usually the worst of it in the northeast as winds are usually less than in the south. Northeasters sometimes have higher winds than hurricanes.

What has changed during my lifetime is the constant barrage of how dangerous everything is. I have lived through many blizzards and major snows and always managed to get around. Yet the media hypes 2" of snow like it is a major blizzard and screams "black ice" and "treacherous driving" and such every time it snows. After a while I stopped listening to them and looked at the forecast and made my own decisions.

Snow, ice, wind, rain, floods are all dangerous, especially if you are dumb or helpless. For the rest of us, common sense and some learning allow us to make our own decisions. I notice many people do not evacuate because they have learned they will not be allowed home for some time. This happens where there are floods and it happens where there are forest fires. While the officials are evaluating safety, a leaky roof goes unfixed and the home is ruined by the next storm, not the hurricane. Officials, afraid that one person may do something stupid (I guarantee more than one will do something stupid), close access to thousands. And some officials and police seem scared of everything, something that was not so true generations ago.

If I lived in the east and I had a house that I could move out of harm's way, I would, even though the risk may be small, and a road trip can be fun. If I had a movable house and one attached the ground, I would assess which is in more danger, what I could do to protect each, discuss it with Barb, and do what she says. I might do what Urnmor and Paula did—move the movable one and come back to watch over the rest. I can see how Paula's business was in danger and the services she provides are very important for people's health. Nonetheless, the predictions for her area sounded like storm surge would be very serious. I hope her business survived unscathed. If I had a brand new Airstream, I might move it and go with it. Not being there, I can't know what is best for everyone.

Then next hurricane that aims at NJ, NY and New England will be received by skepticism by those who feel this one fizzled. Those whose properties are flooded by storm surge, rivers and streams will feel differently.

And part of me wanted to immediately drive to NJ and NY and experience the storm just like I did in 1960 for Hurricane Donna. Dangling powerlines, waves crashing, beach sand blasting at the coast, flooded underpasses, torrential rains, 100 mph winds, what a blast! In 1960 it was a 100 mile trip and I was a lot younger. And, Barb didn't like the idea.

I hope all is well for you in the east. I hope Pat's oak is still standing, Paula's servers are functioning and Urn's brand new trailer is fine.

For me, I am hoping for a major blizzard here by November (some time after I have winterized the trailer). I am also hoping Barb will enthusiastically embrace the snow blower. What a blast that will be!

Gene

Old 08-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Gene

could you arrange to have that major blizzard come through Dallas on the way to your place? Like, perhaps, next weekend?

d

Old 08-28-2011, 02:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Paula alive, & fed up

power went out last night at 11:30 pm after the worst was past - the whole block is out. Im on effen laptop with the keyboard that I hate which always makes me hit the arrow key and write over something I just typed.
Our NOISY Honda 11000 generator is keeping the essentials going barely. the portable air conditioners are losing the battle. I'm going to look for another one and will run it off the splurge 3000 Handi I bought.

on the MAIN grid in VB and 15 hrs without power is getting old. i need a shower!

Oh, and my toilet supply lline at the office sprung a leak. it just came loose at the connection ,,, so Im blaming the earthquake for that one.

Im grumpy and stinky and tired and am going to find a bar with electricity and go for a frozen margarita. /but first a cold sponge bath in the sink.

paula
Old 08-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
For many of us it was alot of hype and clearly the media, IMHO, did an overkill. One local station showed nothing but it for hours to include a count down on when the Tornado warnings were going to be over.

As for Berlin it was not bad. The flooding was know worse then what I have seen in Northeasters and I believe the damage was less. We all can be thankful that it was not was expected. I also just picked up my AS and it survived. Will do its inaugural voyage next week end
Old 08-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
gene, i hear you but you have to remember that these days common sense is becoming a rare commodity. while the city seems to have fared pretty well, upstate ny now has rivers where little streams once were. constant building in every open patch of land is causing runoff to overwhelm the systems. the 100 year floods are becoming 10 year floods. tree cities are causing lots of downed power lines from their beautiful aging trees. folks need to learn to chill out and learn to airstream :-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Ricky, maybe it is just the ravings of an old man. When I was a kid we walked through 10' of snow everyday, even in June, blah, blah. And the weather was always worse when we were kids or now, depending on what argument I want to prove.

We have 100,000,000+ more people than 50 years ago and they all need places to live and the result is more runoff as you say. Climate change promised more severe weather and we are getting it. I never watch local TV news because it is all fires, auto accidents, any visual disaster, crime, freaked out anchors chosen for their hair, but lots of people do watch. If you hear about disasters all the time, you start getting scared of everything and I guess now everyone is scared of something. Americans used to be optimistic, not anymore.

There are real dangers. If they are hyped too much, people stop believing the hype. I've seen the results of hurricanes that passed through Pa. and NY and how high the Delaware and Susquehanna Rivers got. As a result, my rule is never buy a house near a flood plain much less in it. I'd love to live on a coast, but high risk plus it usually is really expensive to buy there.

Paula, I wish you a drink and a shower.

Dana, next blizzard is months away and we will use it all up here. Seems like Dallas has Phoenix weather now and I hope that isn't a permanent change.

Urnmor, you new baby has had quite a break in period. Any leaks?

Gene
Old 08-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
I agree with you Gene. There is alot of hype on the news. We were at our AS on Tuesday when the Earthquake hit and were abou 150 miles from Mineral where the center was. The AS was the place to be for that. It rocked a little. I was excited we had witnessed the earthquake and ran outside to feel the slow oscillation of the ground for about 10 minutes after the initial quake. That was something else.

We had to leave our AS near the coast of a tidal river in VA, just off of the Chesapeake on Friday. We were far enough inland that we weren't worried about flooding. We batton down the hatches. The only worry was a tree next to the site but what will happen, will happen. We will be goin back next week to check on it.

When we got home Friday, our house (about 40 miles from the earthquake center) was fine. No cracks, not even a fallen picture. We rode out the hurricane there which was impressive with the winds. We live in a rural area so many trees. We lost a weeping willow we planted 10 years ago and had to clean some debris up but all was well. We played musical cars for a while that afternoon to avoid limbs and our power went off and on but never for more than 30 seconds so we fared well.

I hope everyone else and their pets on the east coast are well. And second, that your Airstreams are all fine!
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #22
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
The oak didn't fall. We're delighted. Now we're facing days without power and it's Virginia in August. And lots of trees down that need cutting up and hauling. The genny has done a good job of keeping the trailer refrig, chest freezer and house refrig cold. We even took in a neighbors carefully put-away corn, tomatoes, stock.

So glad it was a cat one. Jeez - a cat 2 or more, I don't even want to consider, and I live inland. 9 inches of rain (but we live in a sandy-soil area, so no probs absorbing that. I'll be that our friends in Texans would have been dancing naked in the streets if they had this.

The hype on the news serves a purpose: at least it encourages thinking people to stay home rather than tool around in their big-wheeled trucks, making waves that flood houses that were lucky enough to stay dry before they came through. If it were me, I'd have a supply of bricks to send their way. I'll pay for the damage I caused, you pay for the damage you caused.

Big weather is dangerous. I don't care how experienced you are. It's stupid to disregard how powerful it is in comparison to how smart you think you are.

It's hot and muggy. And no power expected for days. Have a nice time.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #23
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
This has been a busy month for us and our AS. Major hail storm(AS injured) on 1 August,
5.8 earthquake on Wednesday, and Irene on this weekend. Lucky no damage.
We couldn't leave Long Island due to my recent shoulder surgery. Hope the everyone who was in Hurricane Irene path is safe and secure.

Mark
Old 08-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #24
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
yes, it has been an interesting past few days on Long Island, from earthquakes to hurricane Irene.

I pulled the trailer off my heavily wooded property to an open field across the street, parked into the forecast SSE wind of 75mph, left the truck hooked up dropped the stabilizers.

All went well, the wind kept going for about 16 hours.

two small dead trees went down, didn't lose power, others west of us were not as lucky. 450,000 without power, numerous trees down.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Just wondering what is the consensus regarding where to park AS in a hurricane. in an open area where the wind might blow it over or in a heavily wooded area where broken limps might damage it
Old 08-29-2011, 07:32 PM   #26
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Not sure the people in Vermont would believe that all the hype was overdone. And that's the point, some have gotten lucky with this storm but plenty of people did not.
Historic bridge washes away

Bartonsville Bridge In Vermont Washed Away By Tropical Storm Irene (VIDEO)

The Associated Press: Irene brings worst flooding in century to Vermont
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:43 PM   #27
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
My vote is away from falling trees and limbs. If the wind is strong enough to blow it over, I will have many worse things to deal with than the trailer.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:08 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Away from trees, into the wind, stabilizers down, attached to tow vehicle, anchors deployed.

**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote