Old 02-27-2004, 09:16 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2005 19' Safari
West Palm Beach , Florida
Equal-i-zer brand hitch

Anyone using the Equal-i-zer brand hitch with your Airstream? How do you like it?

Stephen & Miriam
2005 Bambi Safari 19 LS with Sofa
2006 Harley-Davidson Road King Custom
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD QuadCab SRW Long Bed
Sir Wooferman Wellington, Cock-a-poo Watch Pup
DreamStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 09:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Excellent on our Caravel. But it's a very light trailer (2400 lbs dry) and probably any sway dampening/weight distribution hitch would have done.

The hitch head needs a little grease every 500 miles to prevent squealing. I carry a little zip-lock baggie filled with grease, in my tool kit. But don't lube the weight distribution bars.

Former full-timer | AIRSTREAM LIFE magazine | Tour of America (old blog) | Man In The Maze (current blog)

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 09:49 AM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I have only pulled once with mine but it was under darkness on a metropolitan Interstate highway for about 35 miles with severe cross winds. The Classic was a solid as a rock behind my tow vehicle. I was very impressed.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 09:51 AM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I use one too. I am pulling a 31' Sovereign using a F-150 and it works fine. I like the ease of hookup. Just the two bars, and the latch and away you go.

__________________ many little time...
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 11:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois

Take this for what it's worth since I've never before towed anything.

Only went about 75 miles from dealer to home to storage.

I was very comforatble towing our 28' International CCD. I was happily surprised at how well towing went since that was a major concern for a first timer.

cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 02:29 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
We towed our "new" to us 2002 31W Classic over 1800 miles for our first trip.

I have used both the Reese Saddle and a friction style anti-sway on eariler trailers i owned.

The equal-i-zer beat both setups for me in terms of not feeling ANY 18 wheeler 'blasts' on the trip. Lane changes are solid and i was not able to create any swaying by swinging the steering wheel (no traffic in sight of course) as a test.

Bottom line, i like it.

Dave S.
baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 02:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master
2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
I have an Equal-i-zer and tow a 2003 25' Safari SS. Do a search and you should find prior posts on the subject. In summary:

- The battery tray on the trailer tongue may interfere with installation of the bar brackets. I had to drill/file/dremel slots in the steel battery tray for the brackets to be mounted the proper distance from the ball.
- The mounting surface for the ball and nut are not machined, so as the paint/flash/rough casting surface wears the ball loosens. Retighten often!
- Access to the nut holding the ball is difficult. I have not been able to locate a thin-walled socket that will fit. It is difficult to tighten the nut. I have had to jam a wrench between the nut and the casting and turn the ball with a large open-end wrench. I am probably not getting sufficient torque on the nut.
- Ignore their "4-way sway control" advertising hype, it is somewhere between confusing and misleading. The "sway control" is produced by:
A. the friction of the bars against the tongue brackets
B. the friction of the bar pivots against the main hitch casting (note that these surfaces will wear out eventually)
- It is easy to hitch/unhitch.
- The online ordering system on the equalizer web site recommended the wrong draw bar for my trailer/tow car combination. I was able to make it work by cutting off about 5" to prevent it from dragging on the ground.
- The paint is cheap and/or poorly applied. Within a month much of the paint was flaking and the hitch was rusty.
- I do feel every 18 wheeler pass by, although overall my towing experience with this setup has been good. I have only towed about 4000 miles so far.

I have no comparison to say that it is better or worse than another system. However, from what I have read on the Forum I would seriously consider the Reese Dual Cam if I were shopping again.
dmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 03:09 PM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
FYI, I used a Reese dual-cam system for 6 years and was very pleased with it also. My two biggest objections to the Reese is that the newest dual-cam hitch requires drilling holes into the A-frame of your trailer. You need to be careful there.

The other dual-cam model has also had issues where the U-bolts fall into the gas bottle area on some Airstreams which may require some modifications.

Reese is a good product so you can feel confident if you choose to go in this direction.

Thanks for you insite Dan. I'll be watching my Equal-i-zer hitch carefully.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote