Old 06-27-2009, 08:21 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
Epic Graduation Trip

We're going cross-country!
Day One of our GA to CA trip in honor of our eldest son's high school graduation. This is our most epic camping trip to date. We have had the AS since Feb. and have been to Jacksonville, FL, Washington D.C., Oak Ridge, TN and Chattanooga TN.

We left this morning at 7:15am. Scooby(age 18) has slept since we left. He always falls asleep before we pull out of the driveway and then snoozes for hours. If we stop he wakes, gets out and then falls asleep within minutes of being on the road again. It is really odd.

We will be visiting several national parks to enjoy some hiking and biking. Yosemite will be the main focus and longest stay. Half Dome is the goal.
Along the way we will visit some classic American sights. Carlsbad, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, etc... I will be seeing these for the first time with my sons. Hubby's family took long car/camping trips every summer and he has seen everything USA. My dad had his own business and could never leave it for more than a couple of days. My family rarely left WA.

Now we live 600 miles from one set of Gram and Gramp and a plane trip from the other. When the boys were young they always wanted to see them so we usually spent our vacations time in PA and we flew to the west coast a few times.

I hope to post photos. Hubby & Scoob are avid photograpers and with 16 and 18 year old sons I should be able to figure the process out.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Hi,

I don't think it's odd that he falls asleep when he gets in the car. Everyone of my brothers and sisters did the same thing. My parents use to insist we had be infused with gas in our veins!. Best naps I have are in the car, or truck. Unless I'm driving then i can't sleep.

Have a wonderfull time on your trip. My first time pass the mississippi river was when we moved out to Ca in October, and I loved the trip. Had to stay awake since I was driving one off the vehicles! Many things to see. We came by way of I-40, watch the construction.

Marie

Old 06-27-2009, 09:15 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
We are going out on I-20 and home on I-40.
He is asleep again. When we get out of the southern pines he will have to take a turn at the wheel. With four drivers we can expedite our driving.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
So many memories to make! Have a great trip and travel safe.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:03 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
We're goin' to Jackson.
Not the original plan but we experienced fuel filter problems and lost power. Had to get towed to a GMC dealer in Jackson, MS. OnStar was a blessing. Our 2008 GMC 2500 Duramax is locked in the service department as it is loaded for bear with bikes, generator, etc... The AS is in the parking lot. We are staying at a Hyatt Place less than a mile from the dealership. Quite cush when compared to camping. Indoor pool, huge TV, breakfast bar and close to great shopping.
We needed a replacement charger for Scooby's D40 and this gave us the oportunity to go to Best Buy without feeling like we were wasting vacation time. We picked up a Flip so the boys could vlog the trip as well.
We will be making some changes to our itinerary. All is up in the air until the service center opens tomorrow. Hubby thinks it may be bad gas. The fuel filter light went from 90% to 0% yesterday and we just had it in for a scheduled service last week. We hope to be back on track for the Grand Canyon.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:15 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
We made it out of Jackson!

We are passing through LA.
We were the victims of bad diesel fuel. Our fuel filter had a lot of water in it. It was replaced and they tested the remaining fuel in the tank. It came out clear so they are pretty sure we sucked all the bad stuff out Saturday. We are going to try to use truck stops from here on out.
We have spotted two Aistreams heading East. The first was Saturday just West of Tupelo, MS and we passed a Safari today shortly after we crossed into LA.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:38 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
The boy's first Vlog

Old 06-29-2009, 08:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Absolutely wonderfull video. Looks and sounds like you guys are having a blast!!!!

Carry on. Mash mash mash those bananas!!!!!

Marie
Old 06-29-2009, 10:19 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Very fun, looking forward to your journey via the Vlog. Hopefully you will not have any further problems.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:08 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
YouTube - The Epic Grad Trip - Day 3 (Second Half)
More video fun from the boys.
We made it to Dallas, TX yesterday without major TV or RV problems. The tire monitor said we had a tire w/ 0psi but it was mistaken. Our refrigerator popped open. Apples rolled around and butter melted all over the floor. Was easy to clean up but it took hours to cool down again. We thought we may have lost our refrigerator. We put a thermometer in it over night and had ice in the morning. Yay!
Our first night sleeping in the AS this trip was great. Full hook ups so we had A/C. The Dallas Metro KOA is very quiet even though it is an urban camp ground.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:38 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
Another long day of driving. We made it to La Cruses, NM. Wednesday we will be back on track when we get to Pheonix, AZ.

We stopped at the Monahans Sandhills State Park and rented a sand disc and board. The guys had a blast. We got all sandy and hot. We fired up the Honda for it's first genuine use. The A/C was nice.

Then it was back on the road. We are very happy with the "Next Exit 2009" book we purchased right before we left. It is extra helpful since we are using only truck stops to avoid a replay of our first day on the road.

No video tonight. Scooby is editing as I write. He took some beautiful landscape and sky photos. We saw a variety of weather conditions today. As we scanned the horizon the weather would often range from black and rainy to clear with fluffy clouds depending on where we looked. I love being out West where you can see for miles and miles. That is one thing I really miss from my childhood growing up in WA along the Columbia River. I can barely see across the street in GA!

We pulled out the dutch oven tonight and made an apple cobbler. It was very good. We are tired of eating out but we can't trust the refrigerator to stay cold. We check it at each stop and the pilot has usually blown out and the temp is rising.

I will post the Vlog in the morning.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:10 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2005 18' Westphalia
Evans , GA
YouTube - The Epic Grad Trip - day 4

Tags
yosemite