Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Jay , Maine
Emergency trailer flasher/locater

Hello all: Here is a great idea in case of emergency.
This information applies to RV travel trailers and fifth wheels with the RV 7-way flat-pin type plug. This is the most common type plug found on trailers but your trailer may have another type connector.
Your travel trailer or fifth wheel is broken down on the side of the road at night and you want to take your truck into town for parts or to get help. Wouldn't it be nice if you could leave the trailer marker lights on? Since flashing lights mean caution or emergency it would be even better if you could make them flash.
(It's happened that drunk drivers have driven into the back of a vehicle parked on the roadside thinking they were following traffic. So, using flares along with flashing lights is a good idea.)
Roadside isn't the only place where having flashing lights may be useful. Suppose you're boondocking out in BLM land and need emergency assistance. Maybe you can call for help on your cell phone but how in the world can you give specific directions to your fifth wheel. Those flashing running lights out in the darkness could be the beacon emergency response people need to find you.
this way is so easy that anyone can do it and all it takes is a heavy duty 2-pin flasher available at any auto parts store.
The key is to connect the flasher to your trailer's umbilical plug on terminals #4 and #3. Pin #4 is the battery charging line. Pin, #3, supplies power to the license, tail and running lights.
When you want the lights on but not flashing... we use our running lights as makeshift Christmas and party lights... you can use a short length of 12 gauge wire as a jumper to light up your rig
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rvplugart.gif
Views:	102
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	114099  
Viper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Jay , Maine
Opps I forgot. This article comes from rvbasics.com. Id give the author credit but one isnt listed. they have many great articles
Old 10-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Jay , Maine
Other uses

Just thought another quick use of jumping out terminals 3 and 4. If you dont want to drive the truck to the trailer, you can check to see if all lights are working or which need replacing . YEAH YEAH dont leave jumper wire on or DEAD BATTERY......
Old 10-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I put in a switch inside to do this.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Antlers , Oklahoma
Love thsi post - Tomorrow I will get flasher.

2006 GMC 1500 SLE Crew Cab
5.3L V8 Towing Package
Equal-i-zer E2

AIR # 40365
TAC # OK-3
mwells4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We didn't feel comfortable poking wires into our umbilical cord, though I know it works .... Instead we bought a device called a FlashCube that allows you to turn your running lights on...and you can also set it so that your tail lights flash... Just plug the trailer's umbilical cord into it and switch it on or off...it was made by Westhaver Associates, but when I went to their website to check on availability I learned that the company is no longer in biz...but you might find one on eBay or somewhere... Bummer. I'm sure those handy with electrical stuff could make something similar themselves. (We also use it for "party lights"...)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FlashCube.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	236.2 KB
ID:	114140  
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote