Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
Enthusiastic New AS'r

1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
Emergency exit in case of fire?

Just took ownership of an 85 Limited (31). Maiden (to me) voyage is in two weeks. Was wondering if my AS has an emergency exit in case of fire? My old pop up did, and was wondering the same for the Airstream.

Mark
Old 05-30-2012, 07:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
On the rear bedroom models in the 80's the emergency exit is the rear window. Ours has red handles and a pull cord to rip the screen out.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:55 AM   #3
Enthusiastic New AS'r

1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
Huh...I'm going to have a look at the back window...thanks...
Old 05-31-2012, 07:09 AM   #4
Enthusiastic New AS'r

1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
No red handles or rip cords in my unit...hummm...
Old 05-31-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
Hidin' on the Backstreets

2012 19' Flying Cloud
Dousman , Wisconsin
On that same note, we are newbies and have just purchased a 2012 19' Flying Cloud. We have the emergency red handles and screen pull out, but is there a way to prop it open for air on a regular basis? It does not have the push out arms to hold it open which is understandable with an emergency exit. Thx!
Old 05-31-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
My 2012 Flying Cloud has the same swing mechanism on the emergency exit window. The only differeces are the red panic handles and the screen loop. It would not function as an exit if you couldn't open the window glass.
Dan
Old 05-31-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
My 82 rear bedroom does not have the red handles either. I dont think the screen would be too hard to get rid of in an emergency. If I had to get out, the rear window is the best option.
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
There are several old threads on this. I tried to find the one that I posted on to provide you with the link. But it will be easier to just tell you what I said. Our '66 Trade Wind has no emercency exits. There is a fire extinguisher at the door but I got to thinking that if a fire errupted in the galley area when we are in bed we would be toast pronto....smoke alarms or no. I checked the rear bath window, it would be large enough to escape through but very awkward to open in a hurry. So I placed another fire extinguisher in the bath wardrobe. If the fire was beyond control the extiguisher would become a battering ram to break out that window. My wife and I are not as 'flexible' as we were at one time and a practice attempt at climbing out that window isn't possible but with a fire raging forward we would become 20 year olds pronto... I'm sure!

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:56 AM   #9

2012 19' Flying Cloud
Dousman , Wisconsin
I am going to call our dealer. We did not get the swing mechanisms on ours at the emergency exit. Thanks!
Old 05-31-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
There are several old threads on this. I tried to find the one that I posted on to provide you with the link. But it will be easier to just tell you what I said. Our '66 Trade Wind has no emercency exits. There is a fire extinguisher at the door but I got to thinking that if a fire errupted in the galley area when we are in bed we would be toast pronto....smoke alarms or no. I checked the rear bath window, it would be large enough to escape through but very awkward to open in a hurry. So I placed another fire extinguisher in the bath wardrobe. If the fire was beyond control the extiguisher would become a battering ram to break out that window. My wife and I are not as 'flexible' as we were at one time and a practice attempt at climbing out that window isn't possible but with a fire raging forward we would become 20 year olds pronto... I'm sure!

Neil
I had the same concerns and added another extinguisher to our trailer as well.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
The 25 FB has the emergency exit on a side window in the front bedroom. Unfortunately they put the bigger side window/emergency exit on the streetside, and the smaller one on the roadside. The head of the sideways queen is on the Roadside - with a window too small for my fat fanny to get out. On the other hand using the exit window at the foot of the bed would require - what? A swan dive from the foot of the bed through the high window? Straddle the gap and try to get one leg out first (mighta done that when I was 8 and taking ballet lessons, just gonna dislocate a hip if I try it now.) I'd need to put a two step folding stool under the window just to get through it.

I too got a second fire extinguisher - A BIGGER one that my local sprinkler & extinguisher supplier says could cover 1000 sq. ft. It's on the bed table disguised as a lamp base. I'd be tempted to use the front window as it's the biggest one in the bedroom, but then I'd roll out right on top of the propane tanks, perhaps an unfortunate option, but a 5 foot drop to the ground might not be a happy ending either. AND I need to remember to unlatch and raise the stone guard (Mine doesn't have the wrap around windows, but I wouldn't hesitate to break the doody out of one of those if I had them for an escape route. )

So - if you took them out because they irritated you, put the batteries Back in the smoke Alarm and make sure they are working properly. (If your smoke alarm goes off every time you cook, get a shower cap to put over it only while you are cooking!)

Best wishes, Paula
Old 05-31-2012, 01:27 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Open a window of choice kick out flimsy screen,climb out and run like hell!
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:41 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
So - if you took them out because they irritated you, put the batteries Back in the smoke Alarm and make sure they are working properly. (If your smoke alarm goes off every time you cook, get a shower cap to put over it only while you are cooking!)

Best wishes, Paula
Hi, on later models, push the HUSH BUTTON. Something that I found out by accident and most Airstream owners don't know about.
Attached Images

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Exclamation

Lynne0, I had to go out and look and my emergency window is on the street side in the FB, or at the foot of the bed. It does have the normal three position swing mechanism with three opening stops. It also has the red handles and the loop for pulling out the screen gasket.
And Foiled Again, You're right about the drop. But I'm more worried about the pinch point. If you know what I mean.http://www.airforums.com/forums/images/icons/icon4.gif

Dan
Old 05-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynneo52 View Post
On that same note, we are newbies and have just purchased a 2012 19' Flying Cloud. We have the emergency red handles and screen pull out, but is there a way to prop it open for air on a regular basis? It does not have the push out arms to hold it open which is understandable with an emergency exit. Thx!
Our 2006 19' Bambi Safari SE (same as a newer Flying Cloud) does not have the side slots & bars to hold the window open either, so when we want to have air flow from that window...we open the red latches from the inside, and use a small wooden stick (about 5" long) to prop the window open from the outside...if we put it near the latch/hook, we can move the latch/lock and knock the stick loose from the inside (like in the middle of the night when it gets too chilly) and the window will close. (You don't want to do this so that the window is wide open or you could break the window when it falls closed.)

I know! It's VERY high-tech! But it works! Wish we DID have the slots and bars to open it from inside.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:27 AM   #16

2012 19' Flying Cloud
Dousman , Wisconsin
Thank you for the reply. I did call our dealer last night and after he did some research found the 19 ' does not have the swing arms as you confirmed. We will do the "high tech" stick routine also. Too bad they don't supply a "high tech" thingamajiggy for campers that need it.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I don't know about other model years, but our emergency window comes off very easily. Suggest new owners test emergency operation WHILE SECURELY HOLDING ONTO THE WINDOW, to see how it comes off. That way, one can avoid it falling and breaking when experimenting with how to prop it open.

With two FantasticFans in a 19-foot Bambi, we don't need to use this window for ventilation.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynneo52 View Post
Thank you for the reply. I did call our dealer last night and after he did some research found the 19 ' does not have the swing arms as you confirmed. We will do the "high tech" stick routine also. Too bad they don't supply a "high tech" thingamajiggy for campers that need it.
You can get a replacement screen mount with the slots for the lift arms, and a single pivot to mount on the window, using the existing mounting holes in the window, then get a single lift arm and single lift track. The window is small and light enough one lift arm should easily hold it open. The other one is not really accessible behind the bathroom wall, so you really don't want to install it.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #19
Enthusiastic New AS'r

1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
Hadn't considered til I began this thread...a second extinguisher in the rear bedroom is a must, great idea! And the open the window and kick out the screen sounds like a second best escape plan... I guess when you're in panic mode anything is possible...even with a big ole butt!
Old 06-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I figure any thing including foot will break window and out you climb. If its life and death, a few cuts won't matter.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote