Old 05-31-2012, 04:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynneo52 View Post
On that same note, we are newbies and have just purchased a 2012 19' Flying Cloud. We have the emergency red handles and screen pull out, but is there a way to prop it open for air on a regular basis? It does not have the push out arms to hold it open which is understandable with an emergency exit. Thx!
Our 2006 19' Bambi Safari SE (same as a newer Flying Cloud) does not have the side slots & bars to hold the window open either, so when we want to have air flow from that window...we open the red latches from the inside, and use a small wooden stick (about 5" long) to prop the window open from the outside...if we put it near the latch/hook, we can move the latch/lock and knock the stick loose from the inside (like in the middle of the night when it gets too chilly) and the window will close. (You don't want to do this so that the window is wide open or you could break the window when it falls closed.)

I know! It's VERY high-tech! But it works! Wish we DID have the slots and bars to open it from inside.

AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #16
Hidin' on the Backstreets

2012 19' Flying Cloud
Dousman , Wisconsin
Thank you for the reply. I did call our dealer last night and after he did some research found the 19 ' does not have the swing arms as you confirmed. We will do the "high tech" stick routine also. Too bad they don't supply a "high tech" thingamajiggy for campers that need it.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I don't know about other model years, but our emergency window comes off very easily. Suggest new owners test emergency operation WHILE SECURELY HOLDING ONTO THE WINDOW, to see how it comes off. That way, one can avoid it falling and breaking when experimenting with how to prop it open.

With two FantasticFans in a 19-foot Bambi, we don't need to use this window for ventilation.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #18
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynneo52 View Post
Thank you for the reply. I did call our dealer last night and after he did some research found the 19 ' does not have the swing arms as you confirmed. We will do the "high tech" stick routine also. Too bad they don't supply a "high tech" thingamajiggy for campers that need it.
You can get a replacement screen mount with the slots for the lift arms, and a single pivot to mount on the window, using the existing mounting holes in the window, then get a single lift arm and single lift track. The window is small and light enough one lift arm should easily hold it open. The other one is not really accessible behind the bathroom wall, so you really don't want to install it.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #19
Enthusiastic New AS'r

1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
Hadn't considered til I began this thread...a second extinguisher in the rear bedroom is a must, great idea! And the open the window and kick out the screen sounds like a second best escape plan... I guess when you're in panic mode anything is possible...even with a big ole butt!
Old 06-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I figure any thing including foot will break window and out you climb. If its life and death, a few cuts won't matter.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
In our 1978 Ambassador it is in the rear bath. The spline that holds the screen in has a loop at the end of it. Pull the loop and the spline comes out releasing the screen.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
Lynne0, I had to go out and look and my emergency window is on the street side in the FB, or at the foot of the bed. It does have the normal three position swing mechanism with three opening stops. It also has the red handles and the loop for pulling out the screen gasket.
And Foiled Again, You're right about the drop. But I'm more worried about the pinch point. If you know what I mean.http://www.airforums.com/forums/images/icons/icon4.gif

Dan
Do you mean the "Soprano Option" aka the "Texas Chainsaw Vasectomy"?

That alone makes the front window a more attractive option - you can ROLL out onto the tank cover IF the rock guard is open. From now on I park it, I open the rock guard. Too bad in a way, because it helps keep the bedroom dark - especially at night when headlights can beam in. I have a venetian blind, which may need to be replaced with a blackout curtain.

Paula
Old 06-02-2012, 12:40 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Paula, yeah, I really like the rock guard open option. You wouldn't even have to open it, only release the rubber holddowns. I'm also going to put a fire extenguisher in the bedroom.
Dan
Old 06-02-2012, 04:35 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Halon system

Occured to me in the middle of the night, so excuse me if its crazy, but lots of boats have extinguisher systems in the engine room, so why not one in the galley area where a fire is most likely (unless you're a careless smoker). Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:23 AM   #25
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
She: You need to leave fast! My husband just came home.
He: Where is the back door?
She: We don't have one.
He: Where would you like one?

That's pretty much how I feel about fire escapes.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
I've wondered about all of this..............especially while lying there trying to go to sleep while testing the AC for the first time. (Hoping not to have an electrical fire!)

I think we're in deep do-do, our '99 Safari's windows are the type that only the bottom 8" or so cranks open. I suppose if push comes to shove, we'd just bust the entire top and bottom out and climb out as best we can.

Are there any other's who have this type window who might know if there's an emergency plan for us?

Thanks.

Deb
Old 06-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #27
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser View Post
Are there any other's who have this type window who might know if there's an emergency plan for us?

Thanks.

Deb
You mean, besides the "bend over and kiss your butt goodbye" plan?
There should be a pair of red handles that hold one window assembly closed. Flip open the handles, and push the window open from the bottom. The window with the handles should have a hinge at the top on the outside of the trailer..
Old 06-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser View Post
I've wondered about all of this..............especially while lying there trying to go to sleep while testing the AC for the first time. (Hoping not to have an electrical fire!)

I think we're in deep do-do, our '99 Safari's windows are the type that only the bottom 8" or so cranks open. I suppose if push comes to shove, we'd just bust the entire top and bottom out and climb out as best we can.

Thanks.

Deb
Hi, unless you have the SS [Six Sleeper] and your rear window is like mine, the right side of the rear window is your escape. Mine has two red handles at the bottom of this window.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6061.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	160034  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote