Closed Thread
Old 12-05-2014, 06:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I used to drive a Volvo in my twenties. Built like a tank, they are. Great cars.

Old 12-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1973 23' Safari
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Andy... about 25 years back I was working in the Oakville area. A volvo sedan had fallen off the Bronte QEW bridge. I saw the car after the fact on the ground below. It was in tact and I would bet dollars to doughnuts it could be driven away. Amazing.

Airstreams..... The best towing trailers on the planet!
Old 12-05-2014, 06:58 PM   #17
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Friends owned an 80's Volvo GLT wagon, rolled it down a 200' ravine, bounced off trees all the way down. Recovery guy had to pull it the rest of the way down the ravine. Once at the bottom they uprighted it, roped the doors and back hatch shut and drove it back to Victoria BC.

SAAB and Volvo are the only cars you can drop from 8' and still open the doors. See Top Gear dropping a 3 serries bimmer and a SAAB 9000. The Bimmer was pancaked.

Tough cars. I'm in the market for either a XC90 V8 or S80 V8 myself.

Per Mare, Per Terram and may all your campaigns be successful.

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Old 12-06-2014, 10:55 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Had a fleet of 5 volvos at one point in my life. 240 series, 740 series, and 850's as well.

Simply loved the 1990 760 Turbo Intercooler Sedan--had independent rear suspension, huge front disc brakes, super seats, fast, handled like no other Volvo I owned, and regularly blew the doors off BMWs if I needed speed. That car was a brute force of nature when it was running right.

Never towed with it, but did drive cross country with it with a crap-ton of stuff in the trunk and a heavily loaded huge car-top carrier sized for a van on the roof rack. It was quite capable of keeping up with interstate traffic across Texas with that load (and then some )

Gave up on Volvo when the Swedes sold the brand off to the Chinese, and the time it was taking me to keep them running properly got to be too much. You know you are spending too much time fixing them when the parts guy recognizes your voice over the phone and asks you which of your 5 Volvos you are fixing today...and then when you tell him how quickly you fixed the last weird electrical problem he offers you a job at his shop...

Now I drive Toyotas, and take them to the dealer to get maintenance. had exactly ONE real part failure across the fleet of 4 Toyota cars and trucks in the past 10 years...not that lucky with the old Volvos...
'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
Old 12-07-2014, 08:21 AM   #19

Vintage Kin Owner
1973 Avion Travelcader 25' , ...
Closed for maintenance.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Closed Thread