Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Santa Fe , New Mexico
Efficient use of storage space (especially kitchen) in 22' Airstream Sport

Just got a new Sport 22' AIRSTREAM. Had a few questions on best way to secure items in kitchen area. Does anyone know of any suction cupped cutting boards or open storage boxes that might have suction cups? It seems that the area on top of the refrigerator is wasted space that could be used more efficiently if I could secure an open container to that area - under the TV. Also, do people usually use all plastic dishes and cups? How do you stop them from banging and rattling and breaking in cupboards if you use glass or ceremic kitchen items? Where is the best resource, either online or at an actual store to look for items to help with these questions.
Judypetrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Welcome!
I had to think a little bit about what I do use in the trailer: been at it for awhile and it's become second nature. If you have an Ikea store near you, it would be worth it to browse in their kitchen section: I recently picked up a couple of magnetic bars for my knife storage I will fasten to the kitchen wall, and magnetic jars for spices. I use melamine dishes and metal glasses. We only have a few ceramic pieces. I line my cupboard bottoms with nonskid stuff, easily found at Walmart, Target, Home Depot, etc to keep things from moving while traveling. In the frig, we have spring bars, available at Camping World or other camping stores to keep things from falling out when we stop. They also are adjustable and can work in cupboards. I try to make sure there is not much open room in cupboards so that things don't have room to shift around much. In the bathroom we use individual utensil holders (small rectangular plastic), that fit individually in the bathroom cabinet to hold medicines and other bathroom supplies. Camping World also has clear plastic pieces meant to fit in bathroom cabinets. Magnets placed on the back of your cutting board might work for you for wall storage. Keep looking and I'm sure you'll come up with things that work for you as you use your trailer and travel more.

Good luck!
Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
When traveling just keep things pretty snug so the can't bounce around. We take anything heavy out of upper cabinets and put them a a foldup car trunk organizer in the middle of the trailer (balance) for travel, to keep from stressing cabinet mounts. A variety of small plastic storage boxes can be useful to organize cabinets.

I'm concerned about the health effects of plastic and melamine dishes, you don't need many (4? and some paper plates), a few ceramic cups and heavy glass for drinking. On cookware, find things with multiple use. A cast iron Dutch oven can be used in oven, stovetop, or campfire, for example.

Basically, we cook and eat the same as at home but done at a smaller scale.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Might try velcro sticky strips to secure things to the top of your frig.

We put strips of rug gripper under our cutting board, which work well. It rides on the counter without difficulty,

Maggie
Old 05-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
Earthquake putty:

QuakeHOLD! Museum Putty-88111 at The Home Depot

QUAKE SECURE® EARTHQUAKE PUTTY -- Sunset Enterprises
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I'm concerned about the health effects of plastic and melamine dishes, you don't need many (4? and some paper plates), a few ceramic cups and heavy glass for drinking.
One slightly amusing side note on this. We have all melamine dishes and bowls in the trailer. That works great...until we wanted to use the microwave for the 1st time last weekend. Melamine isn't microwave safe.

Have to at least something else in the trailer for that...

Tom
Old 05-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I use the microwave in the trailer for storing my bread. It actually rarely gets used for anything else! Kind of an expensive bread storage device... I keep a few ceramic cups for heating water in the microwave for beverages.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Might look at the Small Space Living thread, where some of these issues are covered, as well.

It is a challenge, but so very worth it.

Maggie
Old 05-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We don't put anything on the Fridge or countertop while we're on the road. I don't think suction cups would be secure. You have no idea how stuff gets bounced around. For us, there is adequate room in the cupboards. We keep them modestly full and use towels to fill the empty spaces.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #10
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We have some sheets of bubble wrap and foam (packing materials) that we place on top of the cupboard items. Our enameled "tin" dishes and kitchen utensils go into flexible (not hard) plastic wash basins, which also come in handy for other uses. "Miscellaneous" items go in a cardboard box. These travel inside the cupboards. We also travel with some decent wine glasses which so far have put on thousands of miles, secure in their original packing boxes. We have sliding cupboard doors, which are secured with large twist-ties so they don't slide open in transit.

We've traveled on a lot of bumpy roads this way.

Rather than traveling with something on top of the counter, you might find a sturdy bin, box, or tub for your belongings, and store it under your table or under the bed or even in the bathroom while you drive, depending upon your floorplan.

The problem is that loose stuff that can't be permanently stored in cupboards or under the bed just gets in the way once we are camping. We have a canopy on the back of our truck, where we store tons of stuff, sometimes in those plastic trunks/lidded boxes, so everything stays (hopefully) clean, find-able, and organized.

Also, after you've put in a lot of miles this summer, just take out the stuff that seemed like a good idea at first, but that you find you rarely use. Also, I use my share of small appliances at home, but don't take any of them with us. Really cuts down on the space needed. For example, instead of a coffee maker, we use a plastic cone/filter paper drip system that goes into a thermos-style pot. We make smoothies in the blender at home, but just cut up fresh fruit when we travel.

Enjoy your new AS!

Jeanne
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Minden , Nevada
When on the road, put heavy things as low as you can - the floor is best. The weight being low helps in handling as reduces sway.

Secure stuff with Velcro when you can.

Small storage bins serve well as missing cupboard space and shelves.

Ceramic will chip. Get used to it or use plastic. Plastic plates will likely take 6 to 12 hours off your lifespan so bear that in mind.

Glass is heavy. Heavy is bad.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild-Air View Post
When on the road, put heavy things as low as you can - the floor is best. The weight being low helps in handling as reduces sway.

Secure stuff with Velcro when you can.

Small storage bins serve well as missing cupboard space and shelves.

Ceramic will chip. Get used to it or use plastic. Plastic plates will likely take 6 to 12 hours off your lifespan so bear that in mind.

Glass is heavy. Heavy is bad.
Hmmmm . . . we've never chipped any ceramic yet with many years on the road, nor the four "heavy" drinking glasses. Hot food and plastic plates don't happen at our trailer with few exceptions such as picnics, just unhealthy.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Longview , Texas
I love sewing so I've made some cup cozies to slip my coffee cups into. Set the cups between dish stack and all are safe. I've also made some fabric boxes in various sizes for storage in the bathroom, kitchen and in the overhead bins. Will be making more.
Aggie90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
We have used plastic Solo cups for cold and foam cups for hot stuff along with paper plates for many years. Originally we used Tupperware for everything. We always try not to pack anything heavy or breakable. We have some kind of woven fiber bases for the paper plates so they don't collapse when carrying food. You just throw the paper plate away and the base doesn't need washing.
Joe Palmieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:14 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' International CCD
Saint Paul , Minnesota
Smile Microwave for 2006 28 ft. International

Our trailer came with a full stove/ oven. We want to add a microwave. Any ideas for where to place one?
Mhphhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I can tell you not to store glass jars of Tikka Masala along with other heavy items on the shelf under the sink and then drive the worst part of the Alaska Highway. If you do, you may spend hours cleaning the sauce that spilled all over when the shelve gave out. A particularly odorous sauce, it can find it's way under the stove and into every crook and cranny.

I'm just surmising that this could be a problem- not that it happened to me or anything.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:23 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Minden , Nevada
It's true some folks lead protected lives and their ceramics have never broken while towing, but I'm not so perfect. I've converted to plastics to be sure my things remain usable after rigorous travel.
I like using plastic containers to group like products together such as laundry soap, dryer softness, etc. I also keep dry goods in plastic containers for ease of storage - products like pasta, cereal, coffee and so on.
The sink cover/chopping block is a nice dual use feature, but it's quite bulky and there's no convenient place to store it, so I use a small bamboo chopping block for a cutting surface. It's just more convenient.