Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

East coast trip

Plan to travel east coast up from Myrtle beach north into Delaware,then ferry to Cape May. Plan to stop in DC on the way back. Wife says" don't get me in a lot of traffic" ! What ya think.
CACTUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
The most densely populated space in the entire United States?
Have you performed miracles for your wife before?
Old 05-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
If you cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, Kiptopeke State Park just north of the bridge is pretty neat.

Get anywhere near the Northeast Corridor and traffic will be unfun. By then, though, you will be a grizzled veteran.

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CACTUS View Post
Plan to travel east coast up from Myrtle beach north into Delaware,then ferry to Cape May. Plan to stop in DC on the way back. Wife says" don't get me in a lot of traffic" ! What ya think.
Non-stop giggling from this Virginian -
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 27' Safari FB SE
NW Oregon in a nice spot , Oregon
I think I see many evening cocktails in your future....or some serious drugs for your wife to be obliviouse to what is going on around her traffic wise.

Good luck!!!
bweybright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

You guys are confirming what I guess I alreay knew. Oh well back
to the drawing board.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
If you leave out the part about going to DC you should be fine. There is an Airstream caravan that goes down the east coast. We did it. Traffic was not an issue (once we actually got to the coast past DC to the north). Getting to Myrtle Beach can be hell. You might ask around and find a drivers manual for that caravan for the routing and campgrounds. It was a nice trip. It was in the fall, so traffic less than summer, I guess.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
If you're following your dream then don't let a little traffic get in the way!
Old 05-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday'59
If you're following your dream then don't let a little traffic get in the way!
Now THAT's wisdom!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Naples , Florida
Yes, Kiptopeke State Park is fine, but just north of there a few miles is Cherrystone Family Camping Resort. Camping Eastern Shore Virginia - Cherrystone Campgrounds
It is especially nice and is right on the bay. We love it there.
BTW, don't get all tense about the so-called DC traffic. We have bucked it for years, and is no worse than any other busy city. Stay off the roads during "rush hour" of course.
Turn your propane off before going through the Norfolk bridge/tunnel. And keep your wits about you when going through the tunnel. For me, that would be my place to get tensed up some. But I've done it many times and lived through it.
swfloridaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Now THAT's wisdom!
Thanks!
Old 05-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
We did an east coast trip a few years ago. Traffic around DC was not a problem. We stayed at Cherry Hill Park in College Park, Maryland, which seems to cater to RVing tourists. Easy access via public transportation into DC right from the park.

As for Myrtle Beach, we stayed at Ocean Lakes, which was a city unto itself and the first mega resort we have ever stayed at. The beach was within sight of our trailer and I had this flashback to that 70's TV show The Rockford Files.

Its a camper, therefore it leaks.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
As a life long East-coaster, I've never seen traffic as consistently bad as on the WEST coast. Ever drive anywhere near Seattle??
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #14
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Avoid 95 at all costs, especially weekdays. Here's a shot of my instrument panel that I took on 95 going South past Alexandria towards Richmond. Time of day: around 4 pm. Yup, over TWO HOURS to drive 44 miles. Avg speed of 19 MPH. Fortunately, I was NOT pulling my Airstream!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0282.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	286.7 KB
ID:	185954  
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Wainscott , The Hamptons, Long Island
We just did some of your trip in reverse. We dropped our baby off at Colonial Airstream for some service and then ferried from Cape May to Lewes. There is an Airstream Park just a few miles north of the Cape May Ferry. We haven't stayed there but I'm sure there are many here who have.

We stayed one night at the Delaware National Seashore StTe park just south of Rehobeth Beach. While it was fine there was a huge amount of construction going on in the immediate vicinity. Some of it was Sandy-related beach repair and some the dismantling of the old bridge over the inlet. The new inlet bridge is gorgeous...it lights up blue at night. That alone was worth the stay

Our second night was spent at Kiptopeke which, in our opinion, is one of the best maintained state park campgrounds we've ever visited. We loved it. Much to see and do nearby.

The DelMarva was a pleasure to drive and the climate in Early May was perfect. We crossed the Chessy Bridge Tunnel and then we went south on route 17. We didn't go as far as Myrtle Beach though, as we were headed to Birmingham, Alabama. We hooked a right somewhere in coastal NC.

FWIW we have friends who drive an Airstream bus back and forth between NY and Florida. They swear by cutting off 95 in Fredericksburg and taking 301, bypassing DC and Baltimore.

Hope some of this helps.
Beer Snob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Thanks to everyone for thier help. We will make the trip as planned, excet leave out DC. Maybe hit Dc next spring if there is a caravan.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Ellicott City , Maryland
Its a shame, really....that someone would avoid a trip to DC because of traffic. The thing is, there are plenty of places to park nearby and get public transportation right to the main attractions. In fact, as a 15yr resident in this area, I often do this when I want to take the kids to the Smithsonian. We drive to a train station and take a nice 150mph+ ride into the heart of DC. It's pleasant. There are no worries about parking, traffic jams, crime, or anything really. Campgrounds about in this area. It's easy if you do a bit of planning. I think every American needs to spend some time in DC- it's a VERY enlightening experience each and every time I go. I love it!
6ixty 6ix is offline   Reply With Quote